Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Thanks to everyone who has posted their thoughts on depression. I actually started making bears again through the need to 'get away from it' and to take my mind off things. Silly things like next door making too much noise. I have mild depression and have been lucky to have had lots of little vacations to get away from it. The thing is you do have to take the control back and face it head on, I can't really keep hiding from 'it'.

So back to bear making next week, back to the gym (excersise can help with depression) back to healthy eating and NOT back to my old way of thinking!

The comments about not fighting it alone and taking control back have really sparked something in me, so thanks to you all and watch this space in the next month for some very 'therapeutic' cuddly creations.

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Oh Amanda, i wish you much strenght . Don't give up:D

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, Amanda, since I'm one of the people here "afflicted" with depression and post traumatic stress disorder, I certainly support your attitude and determination to be in control of yourself.  I am in pretty good shape right now and will definitely attest to the fact that teddy making is one of the most important reasons for that success.  Just don't take away my Paxil, though!! bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin  You are to be highly commended for taking steps to alleviate your distress and I wish you much courage!

Deb Upstate New York

Amanda ~

Remember that you're not alone!  I take Celexa for depression/anxiety.  LOL ... I'm anxin' right now ... my Mom is in the hospital and is in poor health ... all brought on by her own neglect of her health.  I have three sisters and a brother; I am the oldest.  Need I say more?  Guess it's life in general and siblings in particular that make you want to bury yourself in a big order of mohair.  Beats plotting a felony.  Hang in there!

Deb

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

hi Amanda,

Just letting you know that we are here with you and sending you a big hug and the strength and
courage to help you along.
We are looking forward to seeing some of your cuddly creations.
Warm wishes and hugs
Carolyn

bear_original

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Amanda,  how wonderful.  I wish you the best of luck. I can only imagine how horrible depression must be!

Sue Ann - you go girl! You are always so uplifting!!!!!!!!!  I hope you always stay the way you are right now!

Danni

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Amanda, sorry to hear about your next door....
Please remember that we are here to give you big HUGs!!!  and welcome back to bear making !
I can't wait to see your new design bear. bear_laugh

Sue-Ann, Danni already said it but your are
so sweet and always generous, thoughtful to us.
Thank you..  :)

Deb, so sorry to hear about your mom.     
Please hung in there...

Hugs/Marie

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Amanda, I echo what everyone else has said here. Without going into medical details I will tell you that I too have a time with depression and my Prozac is a guarded possession I will have for years to come. I have learned that by involving yourself in something that you truly love, you can overcome this plight to some degree. I love to design and make bears and this is a passion I have learned is a very healing excercise for me.

I cannot imagine not having the ability to continue with my hobby. Anyway, we understand more than you know, and support you with all of our hearts, love and words of encouragement.

We are here for you Hon!

Hugs Louise

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I wish you all the courage possible, Amanda and Deb (and lots of bears :)).
Hugs,
Marion

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hugs to all who feel they need one at any time.

Amanda keep smiling and keep positive, I know we are all waiting to see your new creations.

Jane

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh ditto to everything from me!

I've heard that one in ten Americans has clinical depression. Of these, only one in ten is diagnosed, and only one in ten of those diagnosed gets help. It's sad, because depression is very treatable, with the right medication and counselling. Sometimes you need to try a few different drugs and therapists!

Our psychologist (my youngest daughter has OCD and Anxiety Disorder) told us about recent studies on the value of cardiovascular exercise in beating depression. Apparently, it's turning out to be just as effective as drugs and counselling together. Of course, these studies were done under controlled conditions, and I wouldn't suggest that anyone abandon their meds, but it's hopeful news.

Eileen

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Thanks everyone. I am lucky in that things aren't too bad but that slight not right feeling has been going on for years now. I know things will feel better soon. I have not been as active on here due to days away but have tried to keep up. What a lovely bunch of people you are, just shows that one common interest can produce such kind people. I can't wait to get back to bear making and I did get to paint and make my work room look more pleasant. Cheers everybody!!:)

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Amanda... a belated big hug to ya!

I also take something... Lexapro... I take it for anxiety.  Dr gave it to me when I was having a real hard time with my back problems last year.... and after a month I found that I felt "like me" which I didn't realized I had NOT felt "like myself" for 20 years!

And I ALWAYS feel better when I'm working on bears bear_laugh  (but I'm keeping my Lexapro bear_tongue )

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Exactly, Laura!

Well put. These drugs don't change you, they just give you yourself back--under most circumstances, that's quite enough!

Eileen

piegabaer Speyer/Germany

I want to send you a big hug, too! bear_original

I know depressies only from somebody in my family and therefore I understand a little bit.
Hope you´ll get the power to do all the things you want to do bear_original:):)

Board footer