Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks Bobbie and Daphne bear_original I'm going to keep an eye out for some lamps: that set has two lamsp included which are 5100 K, which is not bad: the only problem is the teeny size of the lightbox at 40cm... but I guess if that's the cheapest option I can always get a set like that and incorporate your sheet-hanging stroke of genius!  I'd heard about buying a large sheet of card and slightly bending that to use as a back drop too... maybe that'd be an idea as well...

If I need any more advice I'll definately call you you two bear_original Thanks again!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I'd heard about buying a large sheet of card and slightly bending that to use as a back drop too...

I did that for a while, a 24" x 30" posterboard. I had to carefully 'encourage' it into rounding inwards where wanted it to bend upwards so it didn't show a crease or 'seam' across the back, which I then taped at the front edge and to the top of a weighted box sat behind it for support. Weighting it keeps the box from sliding away from you.

You need to encourage it to round inwards or the only place it will be flat is at the front and back/top edges where it's taped into place. The rest will be stiff and slightly slanted and your bear will not sit flat on the 'floor' of your backdrop. This is disastrous with minis as they either fall over face down or you're not looking directly into its face.

That's when I switched to cloth - - and stayed with denims as they look best with my bears.

I bought the $50 each gradient color sheets from Belger Photography in TX  - blue, gray & black - where they shade from white at one end to total other color at the end. The blue has been cut into smaller strips (to fit into the light boxes!!) and I've never used the others... another set of items for eBay.

But I have SUCH fun shopping - and living with high expectations!! These come in a rounded tube so there is no problem in getting the horizontal surface to sit flat to your table top.

There are also 'heathered' single color sheets of the same size at Hobby Lobby. They are more like construction paper composition or thin cardstock than posterboard. These would be good choices too for backdrops.
I've tried all of these and still like fabric and moving the lights around best.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I think you're probably right there Bobbie: it sounds like cloth would be much easier, and cheaper!

I don't think you need the grey and back, the blue in your shots goes so well with your polars: like an iceberg!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Theres that Hobby Lobby again!!! I can't wait to go there when I go to Chicago for the Schaumburgh show in October!!!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Well, the art web sites always use the gradient grays & blacks for stark contrast, but I too like the blue for the icy blue effect.

Hobby Lobby in the Chitown area - they're ever so much better than the Michaels, JoAnn's & other craft outlets here.
Bring at least one extra suitcase, Daphne!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

And, Daphne, when you come down here to dig in my ribbon/mohair stash, I'll take you to our Hobby Lobby . . . a great place!  Miss Baby (kitty in the chair) says she will be happy to share her space with you - provided you don't mind her talking to you for hours on end.

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Bobbie, I tried to find your article to share along with Shelli's and just didn't think to look under Gizmos.

Edie, I am glad to hear that the ott light added the additional light you needed. I'll try that if I feel I need more light.

I always learn something new each time this topic pops up.

Hugs,

Board footer