Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, that is a sweet, sweet result, Tammy.  Thanks so much for the tips.  Can you tell me, do you think the tea and coffee staining is permanent?  Did you heat set it?  I'm with Kelly that I'd like my results to be lasting and I want to pick a method that will keep true over time.

Did you, or anyone posting here, prewash mohair, or post-wash sewn pieces?  If so, did you line dry or pop them in your dryer?  I'm thinking of trying either or both of those options, too, prior to any coloring I do, distressing-wise.

Pliers, eh?  That's just a funny visual.  "Woman attacks bear with pliers, yanking out tufts of hair!  News at eleven!"

bear_original

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Shelli, I hope the tea dying is permament !  After I dyed the accesories ,inclding the paper tag, I then dried them in my toaster oven at 200F for about 10 minutes.   It gave a nice result on the lace and made it somewhat stiff.  I also added a bit of pigment shading on the lace too after drying. 

I didn't prewash my mohair as I wanted it to keep that flat matted look and I like the henna color that it is. But, I would think the dryer would make it fluffy and less aged looking.  I'd try line drying, but hey what do I know  bear_tongue

As for the pliers , it is a great stress reliever plucking away like a mad woman  bear_tongue  I just posted on Daphne's thread that is almost like doing voodoo   :twisted:  :twisted:

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Great old bears and a bunny!! I love the red one Tammy has done. I haven't been posting much--I started teaching last week--- but I have been following this thread and Daphne's regarding making bears (and bunnies) look like old friends. I have done a few old style bears but none were all that aged looking, just more traditional in pattern and "soiled" with my airbrush. I'd really like to try to go a little further as well. Perhaps and "Old Friends" Challenge is in order?? Anyone agree?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

A note and a question on coffee dyeing....

I was at a craft/gift shop not long ago where people had booths/stalls where they sold on consigment. One crafter had loads of antique/primitive cloth dolls which she definitely dyed in coffee...... the smell in her stall of stale coffee was... well.... let's say no matter how much I liked one of her dolls I would not have bought one.

What does the acid or whatever (don't I sound intellegent today?) do to the material over time if not rinsed out?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Tammy....... my old bear bug is also Laura's "fault"!! I have one of her's as well.... Theodore. He's been sitting here egging me on to try an old bear. Wish he'd help me with the pattern though!!!

After seeing all of these wonderful creations and reading about how much studying Shelli has done I've decided that now is not the time for me to pursue this project. I've had two failures and I'm not going to waste my time on a third. I have 3 big shows coming up and need to get bears that will sell.... my pathetic attempt at an old bear is NOT going to help pay my booth and airfare! Perhaps this winter I will work on something that is very much out of my comfort zone. I'll be muddling it over until then.

No, I'm not sharing pictures. bear_ermm

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Awww... bear_sad  Well, that's two attempts more than I've made. I'm just at the "doing homework" stage which I've never gotten past before, so please don't let my research put you off.   I do understand your need to protect and use your time, though.  Maybe in a few months it will all come together!

You can post photos then. bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, I sat mulling this whole thing over during dinner and had a thought! (Scary when that happens!)

I was going for primitive/antique.... inspired in part by Laura's bear and in part by the quilt shop I teach at which sells a lot of primitive decorations and fabrics. But when a person who strives for perfect noses, loves fluffy kid mohair and perfectly set, close together eyes sets out to do something so far from anything like that you are bound to end up with something really scary!

But that's not the only type of 'old' out there so I'm going to try something a little different...... tomorrow!
I will not give up afterall!
:dance:

EYES:

I did think to consider the shiny glass eyes as throwing off the 'old' look a bit so I got out my nail file and roughed up the glass eyes. Using matte spray paint has also been suggested but for me the nail file or a piece of sand paper was quicker and less messy! I KNOW I can buy shoe button eyes, matte finished eyes, etc. but when you want something ya don't got ya make do!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Good for you Daphne !!!  I think you are so right.  It is so hard to tgo for a totally different look.  I think for me , I haven't found the mohair look I'm after so I like to play with many styles.  Nothing looks the same in mohair as it does in real fur, so I keep trying .  I know you'll come up with something that suits you perfectly !  And, I can't wait to see pics.   bear_thumb

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Aging.jpgI thought I would snap a quick pic of the bear I am currently working on......he is no where near done.  But he has been partially aged at this point:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Shelli,

Have you by chance been to this site and checked out these gorgeous vintage style bears...I found it one day via Aleta's blog. 

http://www.whendisbears.com

Kelly Blondheart
Shelli wrote:

Oh, that is a sweet, sweet result, Tammy.  Thanks so much for the tips.  Can you tell me, do you think the tea and coffee staining is permanent?  Did you heat set it?  I'm with Kelly that I'd like my results to be lasting and I want to pick a method that will keep true over time.

Did you, or anyone posting here, prewash mohair, or post-wash sewn pieces?  If so, did you line dry or pop them in your dryer?  I'm thinking of trying either or both of those options, too, prior to any coloring I do, distressing-wise.

Pliers, eh?  That's just a funny visual.  "Woman attacks bear with pliers, yanking out tufts of hair!  News at eleven!"

:)

When I prewash mohair I throw it in the dryer.  Just remember that if you wash it or boil it, you wash the sizing out and if it's a sparse mohair you might want to put some back on it to keep it from stretching too much.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Thanks, Kelly, for that tip!  I've washed mohair before but not sparse, now that I think about it. 

Shantell, yes, I'm very familiar with WhendiBears and of all the bears I can think of, those are probably actually most like what I'm envisioning in my own work... although of course I hope to make something entirely and uniquely my own that doesn't mirror Whendi's work, or Jennifer Murphy's, or the FMN sisters, etc.  I'm looking to make something that looks like it's been in your attic for an eternity, but has a more contemporary overall design and a huge injection of whimsy in its presentation.  Still working on how that might look in practice but as I said, probably kinda stick-bear-y, and I usually set my eyes wide so that will probably feature, too, in how my little critters look.  Thanks for the link, though; it's always nice to revisit her work.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I figured you probably already had...but on the off chance you hadn't.  I just love them...sigh 

bear_flower

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

I am still for dyeing with Rit, I love the results using tans, browns, pearl gray, black, and most of all green. The green gives a little bit of an old moldy look.  If you haven't tried dyeing yet....you should!
Amy

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Shelli wrote: Still, I wonder... how DO people get a "dirty" look?

Shelli: I took a class many years ago from an artist who did distress, old looking bears. I can't find my notes but here is what I remember:

1) Peril Grey acrylic paint makes the bear look dingy.
2) hold the bear as a child would. Where your hands cover the bear, pluck out the fur (ouchy!). This would be around the belly, arms and legs.
3) Under stuff the bear in the belly section. This makes it slump over.
4) I think she said she used, fabric paints, dyes, stencil, inks and wood stains to achieve the old look of the bear. I remember rubbing one or all of these things on my bear and it looks great especially on the pads. No fading or rubbing off on my clothes. It looks just as old as it did 10 years ago.  I'd post a picture of him but it is placed high up on a shelf that took a special ladder to get my things up there.
5) It has excelsior for the stuffing. It may have some pollyfill too...
6) She did not recommend running over the fur with a car or rubbing dirt on it. She did not want to pass on a "dirty" bear to her customers. The effects were achieved by the items listed above.

I wish I could remember the artist name.... Hope this helps.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Ahhhhhhhhh........... Michelle, that is exactly the kind of thing I've been seeking.  Wonderful, wonderful input there.  Thank you!  I've just finished up a prototype bear and have a few art cards for swaps to finish but my first antique-inspired bear is almost ready to be born and your tips will help enormously.  I'm gonna print those out.

Amy, I have a print out of your dying tips but if you have it handy on your hard drive (I don't, unfortunately) or remember if/where it was posted here, it would be great to have a fresh post on that subject.  Feel fee to add here or start a new thread if you'r'e so inclined.  I adore your dyed work especially around Halloween time, which is just so YOUR season.  You must be in high gear right about now!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Great information.
Thankyou.  I just couldn't see how it would be done either.  But now I can.

Kelly Blondheart

I know this thread was kind of dead, but I wanted to update you and show you the bear I was distressing from above....

This was the partially aged:

Aging.jpg

This is the finished aging, he is ready to be detailed and dressed:

Aging_2.jpg

I wouldn't have normally made him orange but he is going to be a Halloween piece.  Part of getting a faded orange was to not start with orange.....but the aging process on him took about a week overall.  Of course the hastily snapped pics don't really do him justice in the lighting down in my family room...but you get the idea.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I was just going through some of the supplies that they have at Bearcrafters store on ebay.  This Old Bear by Cindy Anschutz has a page of antiqueing your bear.  There is a pattern also that would give you an idea of how the old bears were designed.  This is not on the store sight yet so send a message asking about it if you are interested.  It sells for $10.50.
Donna

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

My best advice would be to look at old bears and see how they are worn.  I have never had a problem with coffee or tea.  I prefer coffee, but you need to use vanilla and cinnamon to help cut the oder.  Airbrushing can help you age your pieces too.

nettie scotland
Website

deirdre-7.jpgthe grunginess of old bears is mostly nicotene so a greenish tinge to your coffee and tea staining makes them more authentic.Dont fanny about Shelli just go for it.You have to be brave I reckon to get a really old look thats not contrived.I boil the wee suckers iron them flatten them pluck their hair out and pull out nose stitches.I like bears best that start out perfect and get worked on.I hate big obvious repairs evenly spaced nose gaps etc.Old bears feel light ,dry and slightly oily so maybe a deep fryer ha ha.Have fun thats the main thing .

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Hi Nettie,  So Beautiful!!!!

Do you boil and iron the bears after their sewn and stuffed or just the mohair before hand?  bear_original

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

DYING_INSTRUCTIONS_2.JPG

Here are my dyeing instructions. I hope they upload because I am just too darned lazy to retype them. Yep, I am going strong right now. I have 2 shows in October. I don't know what I was thinking of when I signed up for 2! It wouldn't be so bad but it is Fiscal YEar End at my job & I am working over time & come home exahusted from all the PRESSURE!!!!!!!
Will make it throught though. Gotta remember to stay off the computer so.....

TTFN
Amy

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Thanks Amy, for the awesome dye tips! :)

Diane, your comments are so dead on.  I agree totally that the old look bears that appeal most and look most authentic are really and TRULY just dragged thru the mud, figuratively speaking, without evenly spaced nose stitches or perfectly symmetrical age spots.  The more crapped out they look, the more I like them. 

I've been occupied with other things of late and haven't finished my first prim bear but he's in the work with a completed head.  He won't be a "true" vintage/antique reproduction look but I AM after that run over, realistically grunged out look regardless, so I think I'm just about ready to just take to him with a vengeance.

Will post results so long as they're remotely printable! :)

Thanks, everyone, for your help.  It's been a great read!

nettie scotland
Website
elle wrote:

Hi Nettie,  So Beautiful!!!!

Do you boil and iron the bears after their sewn and stuffed or just the mohair before hand?  :)

Oh dear I am not cruel enough to boil the wee souls oce they have a face ha ha.I abuse the mohair before hand but I dopluck them with no anaesthetic he he.I stain them afterwards too.
Hugs Diane xx

Board footer