Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Deb Upstate New York

Daphne ~

Yep, Michael's sells compressors.  At the Michael's near me, they're locked in the cabinet with the airbrushes.  Michael's also sells Liquitex and Golden acrylic colors, excellent for airbrushing.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Daphne..I know judi uses and swears by the Createx paints. Maybe you should just make all 50,000 bunnies and ship 'em all to Judi to airbrush!

I thought of that!  bear_laugh

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Wow, so I was right in the middle of this wonderful, lengthy post about what I've been trying out, and the mailman rings the doorbell.  The one of my dogs who is laying under the computer desk leaps up in a mad frenzy and unplugs the computer.  Sigh.....

At any rate,  I have been trying Liquitex and Winsor Newton Galleria.  The Winsor Newton Galleria paint feels just wonderful on the fur, but I have noticed a clog or two.  This, of course could be my own fault at not liquefying it well enough.  Maybe Judi will post on what is the best way to water down the paint and get as many clumps out as possible!  bear_happy   I shook it then stirred it with a smaller mop-like paintbrush to get the lumps broken down, but there must have been a couple here and there that I missed.  I've thought about gettinga  small strainer, like one of those tea screens.

I am having FUN!  I didn't realize how I'd be able to pick it back up so quickly after not airbrushing for 7 or 8 years!  It was like I used it yesterday!  (Of course, I had to call my old Art teacher and ask him what ratio to water the paint down... this was before the post by Judi! lol)

Kimberly W.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Kimberly, as per Judi's advice ( do we ALL go to her for airbrushing issues?? LOL ) she suggested to strain the paint. You could use a tea strainer, but I think an old stocking would be even better. I think that's what Judi said. Makes sense to me anyway.

I can't wait to see all of our airbrushing efforts.

Ft. Bragg, NC

Hmmm, very good point and tip, Heather.  I guess even a tea strainer would probably have too big of holes to strain for use with an airbrush.  I will definitely make a mental note of that one!

Thanks!

Kimberly W.

By the way, love your quote on the bottom...  Too true!  People get upset about things because what happened was not what they expected to happen...

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kim,
Glad to hear you are coming back to airbrushing.
  A nylon stocking works beautifully for straining paints ( like I told Heather bear_thumb ).  Stretch it over the top of the container you are mixing your piants in after mxing with a paintbrush...just like you mentioned.  A small jar works well.  You may need to strain a few times, especailly if you are using any brown shade, light umber, burnt umber, raw unmber, as these tend to be gritty.

As you will find out, your paint will need to be of a watery consistency to run smoothly through your airbrush.  What type of airbrush are you using?

Ft. Bragg, NC

Hi Judi,

Yes, I am happy too to be getting back in to airbrushing.  I wanted to since high school, but could never afford one and everything that went along with it. Plus, back when I was single, had no kids, etc etc, I wasn't really worried about spending my money on an AIRBRUSH! lol  Your tiger reminds me of something that I did... I've always made my own costumes (and family's) for Halloween, and in high school, I was a tiger.  I made an entire mascot-style head and fur body, then airbrushed all the stripes on.  Wish I still had it to show you all!

I have a Badger, which my art teacher told me has a very small opening/needle anyway. Right?

I will definitely do the straining method as you described.  I think I liked it better when my teacher used to do all that stuff for me!!  bear_happy   I think I'll use the airbrush to do my next bear (which I am working on right now, a commission).  I am so excited!

Kimberly W

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Y'all are making me very anxious for my airbrush to get here. Went to Michael's and got paint today... Golden brand per my lovely chat with Judi this morning! (Thank you for all of your advice, Judi!) CO2 tank tomorrow...

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, I won't be airbrushing the bunny. The movie makers say absolutely NOT!
Needlefelting it is.  bear_angry

Sonya, that was your idea... where are you????? I'm sending all 6 bunnies to you and you can do it!!!  bear_laugh
I think I have hand troubles now!!!????  :doh:

Kimberly..... get airbrushing some mohair.. make us a little cutiepie so we can all see how much fun you are having!!!

Ft. Bragg, NC

Hee hee, when I'm done, I'll post him... though he's not mohair, this one's a faux fur.... :)

Kimberly W.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

As long as he's got fur........ I'm not prejudice......  bear_grin

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Daphne,
If you have to do needlefelting on all 6 bunnies you better invest in a needle knob that has at least 10 needles in it to help speed the process along!  I think I saw a knob that held about 21 needles and I thought that I would never need that many but I think you might!
Donna

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks for the tip Donna!
I'm putting felt on all 4 paws, tummy and muzzle.
They didn't want me to use separate white fur for these places because of contrast and seams.
I'm going to try for a blended effect from the tan on the rest of the bunny to white wool in these areas.
Bunny is only 12 inches. I've got a knob that holds 5 or six needles... that'll do!

Is this over yet???

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

LOL Daphne
Looks like it's time to invest in one of those do-hinkeys that hold multiple needles at once. Or send them here.. .. on second thought, I am not that good at needle felting. I just finished a yorkie and them my yorkie (porkie yorkie) tore it to peices when I was gone. Took it right off my computer desk. My dogs have never bothered any of my bears, but for some reason Ladybug didn't like my little yorkie
Sonya

Ft. Bragg, NC

Daphne,

Oh geez, can you imagine a totally nekkid bear?  No fur or anything????  Gosh, I'd almost have to make one just to say I made one... ha!  I could call it a sphinx bear or a Chinese Crested Bear.... lol!!

Kimberly W.

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Well I want to see this bunny when he is done.
Plus I want to know what movie he is going to be in.
I usually let mum do my air brushing.
I need to get my own. Mum really waters down her painting. 1:3 to 1:4.
The air compressor she uses cycles on and off.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_angry Oh now that's mean  bear_angry !  They won't let you try at least one airbrushed bunny to show?  bear_cry   

I've never needlefelted...and I seriously doubt my hand would hold up to it from what I can gather...so I'll send along my best wishes for swift needlefelting...  bear_flower

Sonya... I wonder if your yorkie thought your needlefelted yorkie was real?  ...too much competition!  bear_laugh

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Well Daphne, I am sure you'll do the needle felting just fine.  I am a little surprised they don't want airbrushing.  Well, it's thier movie so they get to call all the shots.  It may be better this way Daphne...now you will have time to experiemnt with airbrushing without the pressure to get something done.

I hope you'll post pictures when you Mimzy's are finished. :dance:

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Judi -
Is there a brand name for the type of tank you use?
Where can I find one?
Thanks,
Jared

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Hokey Smokes!! Your arm is going to be killing you - trying to thrust that many needles in at once!!!

Easy in the beginning with nice fluffy carded fiber; as it becomes denser, well, your arm is going to be killing you....

Bobbie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, the plot thickens....

They want the bunnies softly stuffed. Do you have any idea how much harder it is to needlefelt on something softly stuffed and get it to hold, never mind totally denting the bunny!!!??? I can't felt the material before assembling the bunny... I just can't.

The movie people don't care what my challenges are as long as they get what they want in the end. Well, they are going to PAY!!!

I've learned more about what happens to the bunny during the movie. Apparently he's a bunny from the future (which explains why they chose the prototype they did) and during the movie, for whatever reason, he ages. So, they need 6 bunnies not only to fit with animatronics for different scenes but also so they can 'age' him by degrees. Oh my!!! What are my poor bunnies going to look like when all is said and done! I'm horrified to think of it!!!

Anyway, some production/special effects guy didn't think the airbrushing would allow them to age the bunny properly. But if I don't get this wool felted on good and firm it's going to come OFF!!!! No, no glue is allowed either!

I used to have this philosophy that nothing is impossible. I'm questioning that now!!!

My Paasche arrived today. Judi - it's a good thing I don't have to rush into this.... it'll take me a week to figure out all the parts and how to put it together!!!! I'm excited though and can't wait to have the time to practice and play!!! Are there any How-To videos out there for airbrushing that are any good? Being a visual learner it would help me a lot!

Jared: "Mimzy" is the name of the movie as well as this bunny. It will be out sometime in 2007. I will post pics.

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

I really like Dixie Art Supplies for airbrushing supplies. They have a great selection, fair prices and best of all Free shipping (over $45)! And you can actually call and talk to one someone there if you need advise before you order. They are located in New Orleans and I just checked their website and they are still there:

http://www.dixieart.com/index.htm

~Kathy

Ft. Bragg, NC

OK, I've been really busy, but I'll post photos of this commissioned bear tomorrow...  He's only got vey light airbrushing; I figured I shouldn't go gung-ho my first time around!

Kimberly W.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks for the link , Kathy.  It's alwasy good to know reliable sources for supplies.

Kimberly, I look forward to seeing your bear.  bear_original   Going light on the airbrushing first time around is a wise decision. bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb   You can always add more shading later. bear_flower

Ft. Bragg, NC

commission1-1.JPGcommission1-7.JPGcommission1.jpgWell, here he is! Sorry for the delay, all; I've been really busy!  Haven't even gotten a chance to get on and take a look at new bears! 

As I said, he's been very lightly shaded... I shaded around his eyes, gave him some inside corners to his eyes, shaded his mouth, the upper lip, around the nose, and between the toes....  So how is it for a first timer?  Be HONEST, please!  No froo froo just-to-be-nice comments, OK??  bear_original bear_original

Kimberly W.

Board footer