Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

This is a no froo froo just-to-be-nice comment . . . he is outstanding, Kim!!  Super work on your first time!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

As I don't like the frpp-fropo- comments either I'll be honest.......

He's a cutie with the sweetest grin. His fur is such a yummy color and your airbrushing is great. Accentuates (sp?) the nose perfectly, and toes too. I just barely see shading around the eyes. But those eyes are gorgeous! Did you paint them? Is there white underneath them? Very nice.

I give him and your airbrushing an A+!

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hi Dapne,  Thank you for the compliments... bear_original  Yes, I did hand paint the eyes... and you are right, I can hardly see the shading around the eyes, too... I was so afraid of going overboard! No whites under the eyes....

Sue Ann,

Thank you also!! (and for being honest as well! bear_original )

Kimberly W.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Huh, I think that is one cute bear! The effects are very sutble, but always a good move for your 1st try!

Nicely done! I can't wait to see more. And that's honest!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kim, Very nice for a first try.  It is always better to go lighter in the beginning.  I can tell you used only one color, but that's okay because you bear looks very nice. bear_thumb   However, once you get more of a feel for airbrushing, you might want to try layering your colors using at least two.  I use three colors, starting with lightest color working to the darkest with the lightest having the most coverage.  This give a feathering affect  and you will get more richeness in the shading.
Don't get me wrong, you did a terrific job!   The eyes are GORGEOUS!!!thumbsup:  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

bears-2048.jpgbears-2047.jpgHi.  I just wanted to show those of you out there who aren't sure what a CO2 tank looks like.  The pressure gauge has two display gauges.  The one on the right shows how much CO2 is in the tank.  The other one shows the pressure at which the CO2 is released.  The handle in the center is what you turn to adjust the pressure.

Ft. Bragg, NC

Hey all,

Thnk you very much for saying I did a good job on my first try.  I will certainly be doing the airbrushing  more and more in the future.  Thank you, Judi for the tips on layering; as I get more comfortable with the airbrush, I'll definitely give that a try! I didn't want to get too froggy this time around! ha!  And no, I didn't take any offense to your tips... they are great!  Thank you!

Kimberly W.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Phew, I am so glad.  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub   You are destined for greatness bear_original

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I think its a great help to have your tips Judi  :clap:   Especially on the layering aspect...

Kim your newest guy is awwwwwhhhhh...cute!!  bear_wub  Is he Samuel's baby brother??  I can see where you've done the airbrushing, and I've never used the airbrush, but I think you've done a wonderful job of adding colour and depth to his face and tootsies  bear_thumb

Ft. Bragg, NC

Awwwww, Samuel's little brother... he is, isn't he?  I still do and always will miss Samuel....  bear_cry   So I gues this little guy (who is going to watch over a baby boy) Jacob, is brother to Samuel.... bear_original  Thanks for noticing. :hug:  Samuel was my favorite bear....

Kimberly W.

ellen ontario, canada

just a quick tip for any fellow Canucks wanting a compressor.  i bought one last night on sale at Canadian Tire for $90!!!!!!!  regular price is only $130.  great deal.  1/3 horsepower.... max 100psi....more than enough!!  i'm not sure how long the sale is for so hurry on out!     :dance:

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Ok, I love the effect of air brushing, and I have two, one is called "Iwata" it comes with its own little cap attached, that you fill up. The other one,"Aztek" has several little caps, ranging in size, that you can fill, and then attach to the air brush, which I think is better than the Iwata. To both of these air brushes I have a cord, which I attach to a small electric compressor which when switched on makes a sound, but none of the 5 dogs seem to be distressed by it, more like a hair dryer been switched on. All I had to do was purchase a special adapter to fit the end of the cords to connect to the compressor. I think the compressor is just a normal stndard one and was not very expensive and the air  out put is enough only for an air brush.
Only thing I find is that either I must make several bears and do an air brushing session or it is simply easier to use the new marking pens available if it is one bear .

When I do use the air brush,I seem to have paint everywhere, on me, the floor,everywhere on the bear except where it should be, and will have to do one of the air brushing courses to LEARN what I should be doing as at the moment, I think I am not using the tools I have correctly.
bear_tongue
Lynette

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Lynette,

I am not familiar with the airbrushes you described but I have heard of them. 

I just bought a brand new pair of jeans, and while wearing them, airbrushed a bear with no worries...I am telling you this to illustrate  One: how lazy I am not to change my clothes first, and Two:  You can airbrush with out getting paint on yourself.   All I have is a towel that my bears sits on so I can test the flow before painting and a towel on my lap ...just -in-case. 

It sounds like you have too much paint coming out of your tip.  Always start airbrushing by turning down the paint flow as low as it will go...then open it slowly until you get the flow you want.  Time and lots of practice will help...just don't give up bear_thumb

Board footer