Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Lindser Pennsylvania

First of all, I've spent the last week reading the tips and techniques posts and I have to tell you, all of the information advice questions and opinions from all the users is absolutely priceless and I thank all of you from the bottom of my teddy heart! And special thank you to Joanne Livingston, without your wealth of knowledge and endless talent I would not be here.

Anywho, on to the question. I'm currently making a fairly large teddy (about 24" sitting) for a customer and he is going to be a particularly special bear for her and asks to have a large box be placed in his belly. Since the box cannot be mailed to me prior to and customer is not familiar with needle and thread I need to find a sturdy clean way for her to be able to open and close the bear upon his arrival. I thought snaps! Like the kind on a onesie, but I think it will bust in between snaps. Another option is velcro which to be honest might work but I worry about the tension on it once hes stuffed. Does anyone have any ideas advice or opinions? Any would be extremely helpful and appreciated!
Thank you again!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Welcome to Teddy Talk, Lindsey!  bear_flower

What pops into my mind is the Steiff Hot Water Bottle bear. The opening has a nice velvet-lined pocket inside (space for the water bottle) and is laced up (like an ice skate). I like the look and it does the job.
https://www.google.com/search?q=steiff+ … yVhiMWM%3A
Becky

Lindser Pennsylvania

Thank you so much Becky! To be honest I've never seen one of those so that never crossed my mind!  What a wonderful idea. He's going to have very dark fur so I think it might even be unnoticeable with dark ties up the back. Thank you!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'm glad it was helpful! ( a good idea even if not my own)

We always enjoy seeing photos of finished bears or works-in-progress! There's a size limit when you upload photos here, but just post in Technical Help if you run into any problems.

Becky

Lindser Pennsylvania

Posting pictures would be an honor for me. This is my first time designing a more challenging bear (for me) completely on my own. I just finished the final pieces this afternoon. I'm so excited! I hope to be cutting fabric for my "mock bear" tomorrow if my 3 year old will let me! I'm sure I'll get lost countless times along the way and teddy talk will continue to be a life line for me. Thank you again for taking the time to make me feel welcome on top of having wonderful advice!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

"And special thank you to Joanne Livingston, without your wealth of knowledge and endless talent I would not be here."

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad I could be of help to you.
Joanne

Board footer