Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

KLove Teddy Bear & Friends
Boston, MA
Website

I have been visiting Teddy Talk for months now (although I just joined) and I have been just amazed at all of the conversations going on and friendships that have been made. I think it’s a fantastic community in which we can all join together and have lots of fun! (Mindy feels the same way; she’s going to have an article about Teddy Talk in the Sept/Oct issue.)

So when I was approached by a few of the Teddy Talk members with this idea, I wanted to jump on it because I feel that I am here not only to help with advertising but to help in building this community as well.

My thoughts on the Teddy Talk co-op page were that this would be a great opportunity for all of us once again to get together and promote ourselves and this business.

The rate card price for a 1/8 Page, Four-Color ad is $260. The rate card price for us to create an ad is an additional $30. I was able to get a more than 20% discount off of these rates for the members of Teddy Talk. I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to get their name out there.

We will take as many ads as you would like. Each page will consist of 8 ads, and the amount of pages is up to you.

Yes we will definitely work with international artists—our community stretches around the globe, so it makes sense to share the work of international artists with our readers at home, and vice versa.

I am really looking forward to helping those who would like to participate. As always your questions and comments are always welcome.

And I wanted to give a big thank you to Shelli for helping to explain the advertising process.

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Kellie, thank you!  :hug:

Julia  bear_wub

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Kellie,
It sounds pretty simple!  I'd like to advertise.  I'll PM you.

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Oh, I want to do an ad!!  It will be exciting just to see my name in print!  bear_grin 

I've been wanting to do this for some time!
Kellie I will email you!

Joan

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Hi Kellie

Can you tell me, where in Europe, we can buy TB&F.

What about Denmark?

Hugs Birgitte

KLove Teddy Bear & Friends
Boston, MA
Website

It is incredibly costly to have the magazines shipped in small quantities, so it makes it prohibitive for the smaller shops to carry them.   In a few instances, we have independent distributors who will take 100 or so copies and distribute them within their country, but this is an exception and we don’t know exactly where the copies end up.   It’s unfortunate, but it’s a common problem among smaller publishers in niche markets.  Unless we have substantial volume, we and the shops lose money trying to get our magazines overseas.

If you would like to subscribe to Teddy Bear & Friends please visit our website www.teddybearandfriends.com.

We have worked on our overseas delivery and they do arrive in a reasonably timely fashion.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Birgitte, I'm sure someone here would happily locate and send a copy to you, especially if you have access to PayPal and can forward that person funds to cover costs (the magazine is roughly $5.00US, plus shipping) right away.  Although, knowing the people that participate here, it's even more likely they'd send you a copy as a gift!  And if you choose to become an international advertiser, my guess is that you could request a copy of the magazine in which you ad will appear (for a fee, or not; not certain how that works!) at the time you submit your insertion order for any advertising you may do.

Lots of ways to get access, especially with a supportive group like this one!

Denmark

I am thinking of advetising, because Denmark is a very small country.
Your only change to sell bears, is on the bearshows - 2 in a year.

But if I advetise in TB&F, do I have a better change for selling bears.
The oversea shipping is so expensive.

Hugs Birgitte

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

Advertising, going to shows, participating in editorial, entering contests, maintaining your Web site, contacting customers, and joining groups like this one are all pieces of the marketing puzzle to find an audience for your bears and gain sales. Can we guarantee that you will sell bears based on an ad? No. Will it help your brand recognition? Yes. But you need to do all the other things, too, and do all of them on an ongoing basis, to get and keep your name in front of collectors and your bears on their wish lists. It's a lot of work to be well-known, and having a good product is only the first step.

But given that we have about 30,000 readers every issue, advertising with us is a logical second step. And please follow up by sending me pictures for editorial, too. I never have enough pictures. They are always welcome. (That goes for the rest of you, too!)

Cheers,
Mindy

Denmark

Hi Mindy

Am I understand you correctly - I can send you some pictures of my bears, and you will use one of them
in your magazine?

Hugs Birgitte

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Mindy or Kellie,

Am I remembering correctly that TB&F is accepting submissions from International bear artists for a special article in an upcoming issue, and also that the deadline was pushed to June 1st?  Hey Birgitte, maybe you could get in on that?  My apologies if I'm remembering that incorrectly, but hopefully Mindy or Kellie will correct me if so...

Best wishes,
Kelly

Denmark

Hi Kelly

That will be a great change for me, if I could do such a thing.  :dance:

Hugs Birgitte  :hug:

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Mindy wrote:

And please follow up by sending me pictures for editorial, too. I never have enough pictures. They are always welcome. (That goes for the rest of you, too!)

That's so great to know Mindy! You know I've often thought of sending some pics in but am often put off  trying because I thought you would have so many pics to choose from that my chances of getting a pic chosen were slim. I guess you've gotta be in it to win it huh.I will send some pics for the International Edition and an ad for the TT ad too.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Me too, Mindy--

I assumed you'd be swamped with picture submissions, and wading through piles of the things every month!

I've got to count my pennies first, just to be sure, but I'll be taking out an ad for the TT issue. Even The Hubs thinks it's a great idea bear_laugh

Eileen

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Julia , anyone can advertise, just remember that if you do sell to a customer living far from you, you will have to remember to include postage, packing, insurance etc. for the goods you send to them.

Any advertising that you do is ALWAYS good for your business and as Shelli mentioned it is a good feeling to see your name in print.

Penny I agree with you-the more advertisers the better the rate should be, perhaps this way it would make it more affordable for TT chatters who could not afford the once off of $200.00.

I am a subscriber to the magazine, and have had two articles published plus featured in the one of the artists listings. Kellie helped me along the way and helped with the advert. It is a great magazine , one that I enjoy reading, even if I have to wait a bit longer to always get my copy this side of the world.

bear_original

Lynette

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

So if we send photos to you what format should they be and what information do you want with them?

Lancaster PA

Photos are always welcome! I use 12-15 people in every "Bruins 'n Buddies," just to start. And even if I don't publish your photos, I may contact you to participate in an upcoming overview or you may inspire another idea. The article about embellishments in the May issue, for example, was inspired by bears I saw at a show, then rounded out with things people happened to send me while I was thinking about the topic. So, don't hold back on the photos.

You should send:
- Photos (professional quality, which means clearly focused, plain backgrounds, no shadows) that are either professionally printed or 300 dpi digital files. You can submit them by e-mail--just make sure they're attachments, not pasted into the message. The file size should be more than 100 KB--a couple MB is better. If necessary, burn them to CD and mail them. If you do that, include thumbnail printouts, too.
- Brief artist bio: how you started making bears, your favorite or least favorite part of making, something that inspires you, your art/bear education ... anything that will help me give the readers a sense of YOU so the blurb doesn't read like catalog copy.
- Contact info
- Captions: bear's name, size, materials, edition, and story/inspiration.
(Note: There's a form posted in the TBF web site forums that is not required, but some find it helpful in organizing their info and ensuring they've got it all.)

HINT: The more you send, information wise, the more I can include. And the more often you submit things, the better chance you have of seeing yourself in print. That said, remember that I only have six issues per year. bear_original However, I'm hoping to launch an "editor's choice" section on the Web site this summer. It will start with some TOBY entries that I liked but were not nominated (yes, I really do look at all of them!). After I run through those, however, I'll need entries from YOU.

Finally:
- I'm working about five months in advance. I've finished the July/Aug issue and will start Sept/Oct in about two weeks. So if your bears/photos are seasonal, send them early.
- I try to acknowledge e-mail entries at least with a "thanks." It's OK to follow up on a regular mail package via phone or e-mail, to ensure I got it. However, I do not notify people when their pictures will be printed.
- If a couple of months go by, or two issues, and you don't see your photos in print, it's OK to ask about them. I might be planning them for an upcoming issue, or there may be a problem (low res and/or bad photos are common) so I can't use them. I try to follow up on problems, but often fall behind. There's only one wizard behind this particular curtain, and I can't always pull the levers fast enough.

Mindy Kinsey, editor
Teddy Bear and Friends
PO Box 10545
Lancaster PA 17605-0545
717-393-8371
mkinsey@madavor.com
www.teddybearandfriends.com

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Mindy thanks for that explanation. I'm sure you'll be seeing an increase in pics being submitted...prepare to be mobbed! :dance:

There's only one wizard behind this particular curtain, and I can't always pull the levers fast enough.

I LOVE this quote and I'll be using it next time my kids become overly demanding! bear_flower

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original This is great info, Mindy--thanks!

Eileen

Denmark

Hi Mindy

It is great. I will definite send you photos and some text.  bear_thumb

Hugs Birgitte  :hug:

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Hi Mindy and Kellie, this is great information for us to know, just looking through your editorial calendar you have some wonderful theme's coming up.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oooh, I like this idea very much (especially now I understand that I don't need to be a graphic artist to advertise!) just one question from Ms. Dim Brains over here in the UK before I decide if I can squeeeeeeeeeeeeze my budget, is payment by credit card available, pretty please?   bear_thumb

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

Kellie and Mindy,

I love this idea!!  I have been wanting to advertise and just haven't take that BIG leap!  I have to work on taking some good photos.  My digital is very outdated.  When I take photos, the KB is only about 60-70 KB. 

Thank you, thank you so much for offering this to us on TT.

bear hugs,
Sheila

Lancaster PA

Yep, we take all the major credit cards.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

This sounds like a good opportunity - I have emailed you Kellie and am thinking about taking the plunge and doing an ad! I like the idea of being a part of the TT group in this. (Don't suppose we can pay by PayPal ????)
Bear hugs, Edie

Board footer