Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

WE need to start a bear dictionary of words that are specifically allowed in bear talk, he,, he... Winney

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hi Guys,

I experimented with the cardboard idea-(already use glass in the feet) and I did use some felt to cover up the ridge.  Then I tried using some batting(from the quilt corner of the sewing room)  The batting can be glued on to the cardboard without showing, and it gives a little better protection from the ridges.  Also, if you do any embroidery on the feet, the batting gives a more substantial base for the stitches.

Course now I have a bear with one batted foot and one felted foot.  Amelia is going to walk like she has bunions on one foot and Dr. Scholl's gels on the other.  Hey Amelia, are you gelling?

Nope, she's just vegying.

Anyway, there's one report from the have-to-try-everything-you-guys come-up-with-department.\

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great, Dilu . . . Amelia can just have pride in the fact that she has contributed to the Great Teddy Bear What Works For Standing Feet Project!!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Whoopie...TRY EVERYTHING, that's the spirit of exploring teddy bear making !....Winney

Listing Service Listing Service
My Mother
Shop

I'm a little late to the party, but to make a really stable jointed standing bear, use wood.

Really!!!   

Replace the cardboard with wood.  Round the bottom edges and make it a little bigger than the paw pad.  Sand it to get a good (edges even with the paw pad seam) fit.  It should be invisible from the outside.  Then get a square hardwood dowel.  Attach this to the center of the wood pad (nail, glue, whatever works).  Cut it to just beyond the center of the hip joint.  Drill to match the joint (assumes nut and bolt joint),  Taper/round the outside edge of the dowel near the top so it will not be noticeable in the leg.  Bolt it to the hip joint.

If you want to add some ballast to the feet, make a muslin bag to put it in first.  You don't want any pellets sneaking between the wood and the foot pads.

You can use a relatively soft stuff for the bear and it will still stand nicely.

Dale

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Good grief, Dale!!  I needed to have taken woodworking in shop when I was in high school!  bear_grin  Seriously, you are full of great bear making tips!  When do we get to look at something you've made - a bear, a wedding dress, a western outfit - whatever.  Inquiring minds want to SEE!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I was across from Dale at the Nevada City show -- hi, neighbor Dale! -- and if I had known he was a mechanical engineer I would have spent more time studying his teddies and less time studying his stacks and stacks of mohair. 

When I get a bandsaw and router, I'll try your method, which sounds bulletproof in the best possible way (I'm always searching for a "better" way to stabilize those standing guys.) 

Where do you find the time, man?  Laughing here... bear_laugh

My Mother
Shop

I think there are still 2 bears in the collection at home.  I sold or gave away the rest.  The square dance outfits were made in 1976 for the So Cal Square Dance Festival.  Mom might have some pictures.  The wedding dress is older than that.  My ex may still have the dress or possibly some photos of it.

It will be some time next week before I can get at any of these.

Dale

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Yea . . . can't wait to see them!  Why don't you get something in the "Bears For Sale" forum???!!!

My Mother
Shop

That would mean giving up the 3 minutes a night I sleep now.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh No Dale!

Ive already spent my allowance so I can't buy a jigsaw and router.....how will I ever STAND not being able to try your method on my next bear?

My honey has been wanting some of this stuff....I think I'll tell him its time to develop his workshop...

Now, since you are our BEARLY ENGINEER I have a question, problem:

When I joint a big bear, 18 and up, I tighten down the nut as tight as I can and then cut off the excess bolt in the body cavity.  I try to have no movement in the limbs.  I use 'nylok'?  the nuts with the nylon insert that are supposed to never come off accidentally, but then after I cut off the excess bolt I think it is pretty safe.

The problem is after the little guy is all stuffed and stitched the limbs are looseer.  They sort of flop around when he's not sitting or standing.

I have never had a failure....but then I've only been doing this 1 year.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a better way to do it?

The bears stand and sit like they are supposed to.  They are very well behaved.  But I worry.

Many thanks in advance for any wisdom anyone can impart.

Dily

Board footer