No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  bear_flower  bear_wub

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

When was there NOT peace on this thread???

My response above looked out of sync when, in the time that I typed it, two other responses were posted.  When mine was posted, it looked like I was flogging a dead horse.  Que sera.  Nobody attacked anybody, I knew the problem was one of wording in the first place.  I wouldn't have responded at all, except that there is, among some artists and collectors, the unfortunate impression that synthetics are cr*p.  I didn't think I was telling Shelli anything she did not already know, or indeed she had already mentioned herself (simultaneously to when I was writing it, in some cases!).  I posted what I did for anyone else who might come across this thread later.  There, we are all in agreement, quality synthetics are not cr*p.

I think I will go back to all that work I had to do...
Best wishes,
Kelly

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I knew the problem was one of wording in the first place.  ...  I didn't think I was telling Shelli anything she did not already know, or indeed she had already mentioned herself

You did just right and fine, Kelly, and on the above points you're absolutely 100% correct.  I'm glad you had the chance to speak your mind on this subject, as you said, for the benefit of those others reading here.  Frankly, I didn't realize the depth to which this synthetic/mohair war thing existed on some level I've to date not been aware of.  So I appreciate all the more hearing about it here first, where I can get more information on how this became a hot button and how not to inadvertently push it again.  And I'm not talking about you here... clearly there's something "going on" about synthetics vs. mohair in this industry, among artists and/or collectors, that I touched on accidentally, that I'm glad to have stumbled upon!  Knowledge is power, and I would certainly have spoken more carefully and made sure to express myself more plainly had I known about this before posting.  So I think it can only benefit people to have read your input, Kelly, and Karen's as well.  And I'm okay stating publicly that, hey, sometimes I type quickly and casually like I'm talking to an old friend, forgetting that there are no visual clues or inflections here to aide people in understanding me.  Mea culpa on this one; I own it fully.

I didn't take offense to your comments at all and was happy to have the opportunity to clarify my position , and to support yours and Karen's, and then quickly get back on track with talking about this great fabric and all its potential uses and vendors.

You're right... no war here.  All is well!  :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original TISSAVEL, and I'll arm wrestle anyone who says otherwise! :crackup:

It's got and undercoat, guard hairs, tipping, the whole works.

And Sassy's Smokey Long Pile, which is yummy for mice.

And the odd piece of stuff that I find at the back of a dusty old fabric shop that's perfect.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I buy synthetics with guard hairs because they look like real fur and so they tend to end up looking better ...in my opinion..because of that.  l like them because they resemble real fur..and I enjoy scissor sculpting them. They are also great for shading. I buy Tissavel from a wholesaler here in the UK. I buy also from Edinburgh Imports when I don't want 2 or 3 metres of the same fabric...and I also buy from a German website whose name escapes me...they do Schulte. I have used both woven and knitted but I have to line the knitted ones.
I like mohair too...but it is a whole different fabric and is not..again..in my experience..it's not as satisfying to scissor sculpt.
I think this whole mohair versus faux fur thing is just the fact that some people just don't like man-made fabrics. Personally I am open to everything on offer...and definitely choose synthetics because they look and feel realistic..whereas I choose mohair because of the texture and variety.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This topic is great!
Its funny because I was just thinking about getting a supply of synthetics. I really love the soft dense feel it has to offer. Mohair is great, but nothing is soft and cuddly like faux fur.
is it alot differnent than mohair to work with? MUSt you trim the seams with synthetics?

Any tips or tricks you pro's have for working with the stuff?

Thanks

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Here's how I took Shelli's post:

Mohair was what was used by early bear manufacturers that made what are now valuable and highly collectible bears... Steiff for instance. SO.... when I (ME) think of high quality bears I automatically think MOHAIR. When I think less expensive or kid's bears I think synthetic. The manufacturers have sort of conditioned us to that... it's no one's fault. I was shocked, to be honest, when I first started buying synthetics a few years ago that they were as expensive as mohair. Changed my thinking! But the general public, even bear collectors, aren't apt to understand that synthetic fur can equal in quality and price that of mohair. I think many bear artists may feel it necessary to use mohair in order to fetch a good price.

Thank goodness there are some wonderful artists out there to prove us wrong!!!! And inspire us to try our hand at synthetics!

This thread was simply in effort to learn about sources for synthetics. I've tried synthetics from one particular supplier and though they were soft and eye pleasing they were MISERABLE to work with and I won't buy any more. At the same time I've used wonderfully soft and easy to work with synthetics from a different company that I'd certainly buy again but the selection isn't really there. SO... I wanted to know where else to get some!!

I didn't know there was synthetic fur bonded to a suede/leather like backing. Very interesting and I'll look into that though I'd want to find some at least an inch long if not longer.

I'd also never thought of looking into the fashion industry suppliers for faux fur as Melanie suggested. Melanie has made bears of some really cool synthetics. Her bears are part of what drove me to start seeking out some great synthetics.

Tissavel..... will have to see where I can get that!

Thanks for all the great tips and suggestions!!!!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

In my limited experience, Heather, YES... trim the fur from the seams. For one it's then easier to pin and get through your machine if you machine sew. Secondly, it's a bugger to pick out of seams, almost impossible in my experience, because it's so thick!

I'd love to hear other tips too!!!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I love this topic as I very much love to use a nice ,high quality synthetic. I agree with Shelli about how hard the suede backed synthetics are to sew. bear_tongue 
  I would love to have an idea of where to buy some nice synthetics and would love to see some pictures of some synthetics that are nice to use.
  I was not even aware that there was a schutle synthetic. Very nice to know  bear_wub   bear_wub Great topic, thanks for the info  :hug:   :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Michelle Lamb states in her auctions that she uses recycled faux fur coats in her work.  Only the really nice stuff, of course!

For those of you who use synthetics with knit backing and line them for stability ... what do you use for lining?  Do you iron on interfacing, stitch it to the backing, neither, or both?

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I have always used mohair for my bears, but after seeing some of the wonderful work by girls on TT who have used synthetics for bears, I decided to order some from Bear Bottoms and from Sassys.  I am just starting to use them, and find it is so exciting to try this slightly different medium.  I find it is different to mohair to work with, but equally as exciting in its results.  In my bearmaking from now on, I shall certainly see a place for both mohair and synthetics, because I think both of them bring a different "result" to a bear and both results are equally as pleasing.  As an artist, I think it is wonderful that synthetics have improved so much in their quality and backing, so that we are able to use them on an equal par with mohair.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia
K Pawz wrote:

I think I will try out Stephanie's for that backing stuff!!! thank you Melissa for posting that, I as well have some razzle and plush from Beary Cheap, I love the look and feel of it, but when you try to use it, It frays all to bits and stretches even as you draw your pattern on it....I used fray check on the seams before cutting out, but that only helped the fraying not the stretching....

Hugs,
Krista

Hi Krista, Yeah it does stretch and its difficult to use normal mohair patterns and get the same look...I draw up patterns esp for the synthetic...I can't ever stick to one look anyway so love using it and experimenting.  I really love the stuff  and have so much success with it bear_wub  bear_wub
xx Sarah

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia
Shelli wrote:

Ha!  True, true...

You know, sometimes I wish we could just sit down together, coffee-klatch style, and you know... shoot the sh*t about bears and life and schtuff, over mochas.  I think we'd all see one another so much more clearly.  Maybe some, we'd like BETTER in person... and some, less so.  But at least we'd have those clues and hints about tone and intent and MEANING that are so lacking in the internet environment, where it all falls to INTERPRETATION instead.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/upload2/tongue.gif

Wouldn't that be cool for everyone to get together!  It would be strange to see who we get on with in person vs internet! 
It is so hard isn't it to type and your thoughts  are in one tone of voice as you write...its hard to portray that.  I use smilies a lot in emails  bear_tongue
Also with words, you can read and re read, focus..when its said, its forgotten much quicker as new topics are talked about...
anyhow!!! :hug:
xx Sarah

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I've tried using a fusible interfacing on the back of synthetic..... it didn't stick! :(

I think Sassy's sells some liquid gluey stuff you paint on the back to stop the stretching and fraying.

Yeah, here:

*Magic Fabric Fixer
2 oz bottle of paint-on liner. Just paint the back of your fabric, let it dry and heat-set with hairdryer. No more fraying or stretching. It really does magic on your fabric!

Might have to get me some for the synthetic I still have that is so miserable to work with!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Also with words, you can read and re read, focus..when its said, its forgotten much quicker as new topics are talked about...

Marvelous point!

And I have to tell you all..... I've had the wonderful opportunity of talking with a good handful of TT members on the phone or in person and I was pleasantly surprised at how different they SOUNDED, and how different their personalities were when I heard their voices than what I imagined from reading their posts. So we have to remember that our interpretation of a person's typed words may be WAY off!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Tissavel is available in the US through: www.prefurs.com

teddy-bears-300.jpg
And look at the teddys they sell for $275.00!!! They are 18", handmade and have no eyes or joints. $275.00!!!!!!!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

And they offer tips for sewing dense synthetic furs that I found rather interesting. I couldn't copy and paste but here's the link:
http://www.prefurs.com/articles/how-to-sew-faux-fur.htm

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I went to the same sight today Daphne...they have a sample packet of the furs for $17.50...looks like amazing stuff  bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Chrissi,
I JUST clicked submit for my order of those samples!!!!  :dance:  :dance:
I can't wait!!!!!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Cool!!!  Let us know what yah think as soon as you get them!!  :dance:

:hug:
~Chrissi

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Kelly
Sorry for my... out of place ask for peace?
Gladys

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

It was well meant, Gladys... I'm sure no apology is necessary.  bear_original

warwickshire uk
Website

Shelli...at the risk of starting another glue debate..(LOL)...I use cotton interlining...but you can't use the fusible one because if you use an iron that is hot enough to fuse the fabrics then it would be too hot for your synthetic and destroy the pile. So I use a spray tack, the type that some quilters use to hold the fabric in place till it's stitched. This works like a charm and stops any stretch...and being as synthetics will probably be around in a thousand years time along with plastic bags and cola bottles I don't worry about it having any effect on the fabric. It is specifically for fabric..I use the UHU one but there are many others around.
I found the ones with backing just a bit too thick to do much with I have to say...though the fur is wonderful the backing is difficult to work with and I would rather use my homespun type. I would guess that the type with backing attached are used more for upholstery etc.

I have used Prefurs a few times and the fur is great...it's hugely expensive though and they charged a lot to ship to the UK. If you are into airbrushing you could buy a whole lot from a wholesaler...but the ones in Europe I spoke to would only sell me 16 metres minimum...and that's fine if you work with one type of fabric and colour it yourself. I am too much of a person who waivers around and only ever now buy a metre at a time...or less if I am unsure. I have found most of the wovens are like hens teeth to find..and this is why I tried some knitteds...the fabric places that sell faux furs hardly ever stock wovens...so if you find a website that sells it you can bet your life they are knitted.

If you do find one let me know!!!!

I have tried most types now..in terms of pile depth etc..and find that...for my purposes, the dense ones that are about 1.5" in pile depth are perfect...over that and they become a swine to stitch and even pinning is hard. Personally, I am not keen on the look of the velvet piles..though they feel fantastic. I just like the finish of the ones with guard-hairs...this type has a very real looking quality.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

No Gladys, I apologize, you should not have to.  I certainly never intended to stir the pot in any way, and for giving that impression I am truly sorry.  Daphne, I also apologize for steering your thread in the wrong direction.  Everybody friends again, I hope?
:hug:

Back to the subject!  I have the prefurs sample pack, and it is very soft, luscious fur.  Along these same lines is the faux fur at Fabulous Furs (who also has a sample pack): http://www.fabulousfurs.com/search.asp_ … sap_E_true

And on another related note, does anyone know a good supplier for French Velour?  I have a small piece from Sassy's, but I know it comes in many colors and I'd really like a larger amount.  Thoughts?

Bear hugs,
Kelly

warwickshire uk
Website

Kelly...'Dear Bears' sells it....they haven't got photos of it though. It's only a 1/2" pile ..but beautiful..you have to guess at the colours!!

Board footer