Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I will be compiling My materials today for my first  bear.  Alison gtave my a pattern to use till I get the hang of things.  I my attempt to crochet a bear as well from my own pattern as well.  hugs to all!!! Jenn:D

Deb Upstate New York

Yay for Jenn!  Somewhere on this board there must be pics of others first bears!  Good luck.  Take your time and have fun!

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Well hi Jenn. I am so glad that you made it over here. You will do very well on your first bear and no luck is needed. Because you have the bear passion in your heart, it will be a wonderful experience for you. If you need any help dont hesitate to ask!

Many hugs Louise

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Congratulations and have LOTS of fun!  Of course, we want to see the first one!!

I have decided to crochet the firt one with mohair yarn.  I will post pictures soon.  Right know I am going to lay down.  I have been geting bad headaches as well as back pain.  Love you all  Jenn

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Way to go Jenn

Good for you!  I'm rooting for you.  Check the search function- you can see some wonderful little baby bears that our Judi knitted!  Beautiful beautiful-5" tall and cashmere/mohair

We will want to see what you create.  It's fun to try new techniques and new ways of doing things.  It expands our horizons.

Dilu

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hey there Jenn!  Good luck and have fun!  (so sorry about the bad headaches and back pain bear_sad )

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Jenn, if this is your first attempt at crocheting a bear, mohair may not be the best choice. Its fuzziness makes the stitches difficult to see. I have some experience with crochet bears. Just holler if you need help. There are also several Yahoo groups for thread animal making with lots of helpful people and some of the top artists of that branch of bear making.

Have fun!

Sabine

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh:D Good for you, Jenn!

I hope your poor head and back feel better soon.

My little avatar is only a prototype, and has bugs I need to work on, but she's knitted from a Turkish eyelash yarn. The advantage to knitting is that the hairy bits end up all on on one side. I can't even begin to imagine crocheting this stuff!

If you're using mohair, though, you can brush the fur until its shaggy on the 'right' side. I've only experimented with this, so I don't have a bear to show, but I use a needle to tease the hairs out. A wire brush is too rough in the beginning, and tends to pull some hairs out. Once you have a good coat of fur established, the wire brush works well, so long as it's used gently.

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Aww Jenn- as a fellow headache sufferer my heart goes out to you.  You dear thing, headaches can be so terribly debilitating.  Blessings winging your way-I pray you feel better soon

hugs

Dilu

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

good luck with your new start!! Jenn, please, do show your bear when you done!
I have never crocheting a bear so very intrigating to see yours.

hugs, Julia

Thanks for the help!  I started today.  I will post pictures when I'm done.  The color reminds me of a fifty fifty bar absolutely yummy.  Jenn

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh, Jenn, I can't wait to see your first mohair bear !!! bear_laugh
Have a fun ♪

Bear Hugs/Marie

Board footer