Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Solomon_Bear Posts: 6

Solomon Bear Cover

I'm an independent author/publisher who's written an original fable about a Teddy Bear. Perhaps it might interest some of the good folk here? The story is, I hope, true to the purest of Teddy Bear ideals. It's been years in the writing (and illustrating), all done with the intent to engage and uplift the human spirit. Here's the blurb and some quick info:

A girl and her teddy bear share a promise to keep love alive in a home where it’s been all but forgotten. When they are forced apart one day, Solomon Bear is determined to find her at any cost!

The Story of Solomon Bear is presented as a 90 page chapter book. Internal illustrations are black and white. Recommended for ages 5+

Adults expecting a simple children's story are often surprised by the depth of the story as it unfolds. If you are familiar with children's classics, Solomon Bear shares the pure sentimentality of The Velveteen Rabbit with a dash of the whimsy in The Little Prince.

Reader Praise:
    - “Charming and beautiful."
    - "Whatever your age, if you have ever loved a teddy bear, you will be enthralled by Solomon Bear."
    - "I felt the story envelope me like a warm, fuzzy blanket."
    - "A delight to read, either quietly or out loud. "
    - "One of those books that I could keep on reading forever… heartfelt and full of meaning."
    - “A story reminding us of our ability to love, to look past all the things we allow to clutter our lives and return to the innocent, the pure, the magical.”
    - "A beautifully written tale about love and innocence and trust… has the kind of lyrical prose that sings off the page."
    - "Solomon Bear follows a long tradition of European Children's Fairy Tales … thought-provoking in nature."
    - "Reminds me that a child's love is so very special … holds valuable lessons for all of us."
    - “A timeless story of love and forgiveness.”
    - "A beautiful book sure to become a firm favourite of children and adults alike."
    - "Seldom will adults find a reminder of childhood in something so simple, eloquent and clever as Solomon Bear."

You can read the source of those independent reviews here: Goodreads, Librarything.

Now available in paperback and kindle formats at Amazon USA, Amazon UK, Amazon Canada.
Also available in all other good ebook formats at: Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo

I might post the a few passages here later if there is any interest. Have a nice weekend everyone!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Like the cover illustration a lot.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

I can really recommend this book.
Having read it more than one time, you can believe me that it's a thoroughly enjoyable read. bear_thumb
Here's the review I wrote for Amazon when it was first published:

"It was purely a coincidence that I got a chance to read this short story by Australian author Philip Laird, but a very fortunate coincidence. "The story of Solomon Bear" can be read by young children, but many adults too will be enchanted by the quality of the writing.

As a lover of teddy bears (an "arctophile" to use a more fancy word), Philip shared this story with me and I am very glad he did. It is a classic tale of love, separation and being reunited again with strengthened feelings of love; but what surprised me was the quality of the writing itself. Apart from the content of the story the writing
was just beautiful. There are plenty of examples I could mention, because every page is filled with excellent prose, but I will limit myself to one quote here "Solomon felt the mattress shift, then the sweet rustle of tunelling in the sheets, and finally just the joy of two soft noses touching in the darkness". It conjures op beautiful images.

As far as the content is concerned, there are some very traditional elements: Solomon Bear is the hero of the story, a teddy bear who is much loved by his girl; the two "lovers" get separated; the quest of Solomon to find his love, ...

What appeals to me is that these basic elements are very well used in the context of the love between a little girl and her teddy bear. I also especially liked the different scenes in Solomon's quest to find his little girl : he meets the other toys in the house and asks for their advice: the robot ("how fast can you run?" "I've run with the butterflies"); the captain of the tin soldiers ("one can never have too much protection against love"); the doll princess ("But what if someone could still see beauty in all that you suppose to be faults?" "No one loves like that anymore"); the digger ("This will never do, you are much too soft"); the Queen ("Who made you an authority on love?" "Love is just what Bears do"). It's very amusing to read how the different toys can't understand what Solomon is looking for.

I am not ashamed to say that now and then it brought a tear to my eyes, especially when the girl is taken away from Solomon and he starts to question himself.

This is a great short story, very well written, with lots of emotions, a lot of humour, but most of all very moving. You don't have to be an arctophile to be touched by Philip's prose and I am certain that many children will love this story too."

P.S. Philip: I hope you are planning a sequel to the Story of Solomon Bear!  bear_happy

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Peter . . . what an amazing, sincere recommendation for reading "The Story of Solomon Bear"!  Looks like I'm gonna need to get my hands on a copy.  Thanks to both of you (Phillip and Peter) for making the Teddy Talk audience aware of this special story.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I've ordered my copy - Thanks to both Phillip and Peter!

Becky

Solomon_Bear Posts: 6

Thanks to you both, Sue Ann and Becky, for your interest and support of the book. I hope it manages to reflect some of your own goodness and love back to you. And glad you liked the cover Sue Ann.

And thank you Peter for posting your wonderfully articulate and thoughtful review here. To answer your question Peter, part of me would love to write a sequel, but it would be a very long way off at the speed I write.  bear_whistle

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
Solomon_Bear wrote:

And thank you Peter for posting your wonderfully articulate and thoughtful review here. To answer your question Peter, part of me would love to write a sequel, but it would be a very long way off at the speed I write.  bear_whistle

All good things come to those who wait...  bear_whistle

Board footer