Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

But I am kind of hurt and kind of angry.  I have Tutti on ebay right now and a person who had contact me about something in my online store (not bear-related) now has a bear that looks almost EXACTLY like Tutti on ebay!

Maybe I am just being senile but it really hurts to see something like this! I thought my felties were so original and now to see someone so obviously "copying" really hurts and makes me  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry

Take a look for yourself...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pepino-Needle-Felte … dZViewItem

Here is my bear...

tuttisitting.JPG

And here is her bear...

pepino1.jpg

Except for Tutti being purple and Pepino being green, they look very similar, don't they....  bear_cry  bear_angry

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I am not saying anything to be "nasty" or "ugly" but I am really hurt right now (there is a lot of stuff going on in my life right now and this just adds to the evergrowing list!  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry )

I dont mind if I "inspire" people but I don't wish to be copied!

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I completely understand where you're coming from - they look very similar. I'd be hacked off too!

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Try not to let it get to you Kim...  happens all the time these days.

The good thing is.... she is in Germany and not many U.S. or Canadians shop there..   check out the end of auction prices and the actual sale sometime ...you will see what I mean.  Also ...they don't usually command the same prices at all...again check at auction end.  Your pics are great and the overall appearance of your bear is more appealing to me ...  the colours, the workmanship, the attention to tiny details..... etc......it is all obvious to the discriminating buyer.

JAC-Q-LYN Jac-Q-Lyn
Cheshire

Hi

I really, really understand how you must feel, the person who has done that obviously has no scruples.  No matter what you can hold your head high, as your Tutti knocks spots off the attempted copy.  They say copying is a form of flattery, I would love to know who originally said that as it is a bitter blow.

I have the same problem at the moment as a bear I have on my website I wanted to list on Ebay,  someone has done an obvious copy, even down to the same colour, so I feel if I list mine now I will be seen as the copier, which is totally not so.  I feel really fed up at the moment too.  It is getting to the stage that when some people see you doing well they think they should have a piece of the cake as well, but take the easy option of copying and not using their own grey cells.

I wish you all the best with your auction, it is so easy to see yours wins hands down.

hugs
Jacqui bear_thumb  bear_thumb

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

...what was the phrase?  ...something like copying is the highest form of flattery..  bear_sad   As far as I'm concerned, her bear is nowhere near the quality of your Tutti!!   bear_wub  :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Aww thanks, girls, your words and kindness really make me feel better...  :hug:  :hug: what would I do without you gals!  :hug:  :hug:

like I said, I am not trying to start anything and am more hurt than mad but come on... I guess my bear has a German twin....  bear_shocked

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

yeah, the frog prince of twins...hahahhahah

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

I totally understand how you feel, Kim! I don't blame you one bit for being upset. :hug:  :hug:
If it makes you feel better, your beautiful little bear FAR outstrips the copy in workmanship, detail and appeal. bear_thumb

sarahjane Brisbane

Awww Kim...you poor thing, I would be pretty cranky too. But be assured your bear is so much better than hers and the quality of yours really shines through!!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

I know exactly how you are feeling!
I have just sat here this evening feeling down after seeing a bear made by someone I know has an interest in my bears, which carries so many of my bears' distinguishing features, that at a glance it appears to be one of mine!  It is so close to a bear that I have posted here recently - and I just find it hurtful.  I know its really difficult for any of us to claim 'rights' over the teddy bear - we did not invent it!!  But when you work very hard for a long time to come up with a 'look' which is distinctly your own, I find it infuriating when others can't be bothered to put the effort into creating their own 'look'.
Its really hard to know what to do in the situation - I wouldn't want to accuse anyone of copying.  I guess we all have to responsible for making sure that we never cross the boundary of being 'influenced' by someone we admire and 'copying' someone we admire.
Its a difficult situation - very frustrating and hurtful.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kimmy, It's so strange that you posted this...this same person you mention has just emailed me asking to buy one of by bear patterns.  This is not the first time either.  I told her I did not sell my designs the first time.  Hmmm.  Not even a "Hello, how are you..."  just " will you sell your Kenai pattern?"  No name attached either. bear_wacko

I feel for you Kim, but just know in your heart that you are original and others will see that too.  Your bears are sweet and have a definite "look" that is recognizable to you. :hug:

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I'm sorry Kim....that just sucks doesn't it? Fortunately the copycats don't tend to have much of a shelf life. The intention  isn't always malicious though, they just see something really cool to strive for and can't come up with their own ideas so they 'borrow' yours.
I know that doesn't make you feel better right now but in the end, maybe you can see it as a compliment! ( I know...it would take me a really really long time to see it that way too! bear_whistle  bear_whistle )

:hug:  :hug: Cheryl

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Thank you so much girls... You have made a difficult situation easier...

I guess I am really frustrated because tutti came from my imagination and my soul... like you gals have said, Tutti was the original.... and the copy is just that, a copy... anyone can copy  bear_tongue

K Pawz Guest

I would be upset too Kim!!! They say flattery, I say BS!!!!
I just hope no body construes me as copying with the puppies I have been doing lately!!!

Hugs,
Krista

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

It sucks.
yours is cuter by far though.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

OK,
I have to say I would contact her, privately, and I would show the two pieces side by side and ask "why is your piece so similar to the piece that I have created?" Not that she will acknowledge this but I think it serves two purposes; first it lets her know that you are aware and watching her, and most importantly it gives you a resolution. It will make you feel less like a victim. Even if she lashes out at you, you know the truth and so does she. Business is different than friendship. With friendships/acquaintances you have to keep the peace and overlook things. But in business you have to stand your ground (in a subtle way, no swords!) bear_tongue
Karen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Ok, I think I am going to gently say something to her.. see how this sounds

I recently noticed that your bear, Pepino looks very similar to my bear Tutti.  Although I am thrilled that you were inspired by my work, I was hurt that Pepino looked very similar to Tutti. I work very hard on my bears and it has taken years to develop my own look.  I hope the similarities were merely coincidental.

What should I add, take out??

JAC-Q-LYN Jac-Q-Lyn
Cheshire

Hi Kim

I wish I thought of doing that. Its a really good idea letting the person know you are aware of what they have done, and that you will be keeping an eye on them.  I think I will do that in future, but making sure to use the softly, softly approach.   At least you get it off your chest, without causing a war.

Karen

That is so true about friends and business, your advice to Kim will be useful to me as well.  Thanks.
Jacqui

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Kim

You are much more subtle and polite than I would be ....but when upset I tend to lose all tact and make a situation worse. I think your response is perfect......it may not stop her but it wll let her know that you are aware of the situation and will be talking about her to other artists.

As an editor of a magazine that often profiles O'seas artists I am always keen to note these people....who may not be original, creative thinkers.

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton
KJ Lyons wrote:

Business is different than friendship. With friendships/acquaintances you have to keep the peace and overlook things. But in business you have to stand your ground (in a subtle way, no swords!) bear_tongue
Karen

In thinking about this further, (typically me - type first/think later bear_whistle ) I am with Karen on this. This is about your work and not about making friends.
I personally wouldn't say that I was "hurt" - why give her that power ? Friends hurt you, copycats hurt your business!

Tell her that she is infringing on your ability to make a living by her obvious, but not very successful, attempt to directly copy your work. Let her know in no uncertain terms that you are going to have an eye on her and will take it further to protect your creativity if she doesn't stop.

You don't have to be mean, but you can be direct. I guess I'm not a subtle gentle kind of person when it comes to stuff like this.

Let us know how it works out,
Cheryl bear_flower

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I am USUALLY  a very kind, gentle and loving person except when I get my toes stepped on or when someone infringes on my basic rights as a human being...

Although I do want to give a piece of my mind which is the  :twisted:  in me... I dont' want to make enemies which is the  bear_innocent  in me.... My husband seems more  bear_angry than I am though! LOL...

Well, good news, little Tutti will be living in a loving home - he was adopted just a few minutes ago!!!!  :dance:  :dance:

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Kim,
It stinks.  The flattery piece might be cliche and sound like a pile of pooh right now, but you are in excellent company with eBay knock offs.  There's a lister out there who's gallery is full of cute bears, but only now is blatantly going for one particular look..... well it's actually just pitifully ridiculous.  I pulled up one bear a few weeks ago and said to my hub..who's bear is that? He says "Michelle" ('cause we're on first name basis with bear makers in my house bear_grin ..I shove so many magazines and web site in the poor guys face all day long :crackup: ).  Take another look I said...."looks like that one in that competition" (guys way of saying..Toby or GT nomination)..."but you can tell it's not hers.....oh yeah, in that picture you can totally see it's not hers...huh" 
Seeking inspiration is one thing, having a style that many have is one thing (vintage, victorian, fairy, etc) But contacting people for info, patterns and then selling knock offs is just plain bad sport.  It's about making the eBay sale at that point and not the art.  It's like those little things that scurry in and pick off the bones rather than go hunt for themselves bear_tongue   
Chin up my friend, this will pass and not affect your bearies in the least. bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

I certainly DO believe, your BEAR is far more creative, colorful and cuter. bear_thumb

djbbears Queensland

Kim your bears are always better in design and quality I love seeing your designs and the thing is they are yours and the work that you put into them are amazing, I love seeing them when you put them up and just remember we all know who's work is better and cuter bear_flower  bear_flower  :hug:

Debbie

Board footer