Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
SueAnn wrote:

Kim . . . you go back as far as the 50s??  Love those Dr. Pepper floats in the summertime!!  bear_wub  bear_wub

Actually I don't Sue Ann.... Only my knowledge of delicious ice cream drinks goes back to the 50's bear_sad  I actually had the 'pleasure' of being born in the disco era... I have particularly hideous baby pictures... and my parents have a Super 8 movie of me at age 9 months trying to learn how to walk while sporting a pair of too long pink polyester bell bottoms!

I LOVE Dr. Pepper floats!  Anytime of year!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ah ha!  Just as I suspected, Kim . . . you don't seem old enough to go back that far!!  I, too, have Super 8 movies of my girls learning to walk.  The older one got in a couple of steps then went kaboom right on her bottom.  Baaaad mom kept right on filming rather than go see if she was hurt (she wasn't).  I thought bell bottoms were THE greatest style of pants/jeans ever and I vowed never to give them up even if the trend went to skinny legged pants . . . which it did, of course!  I held out for awhile, but then - as in every other fad in the world - I finally caved in toward the end of the skinny legged period.  Never was one to be on the cutting edge of ANYTHING!!
Oh boy, the fun of going to the drug store to get fountain drinks is a fond remembrance of the 50s.  Has anybody ever had a cherry lime?  Or had the soda jerk add some peanut butter to your chocolate milkshake?  Heaven!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I use to watch "Are you being served" and never heard of a "float"  heard of a flat, nickers (is that how you spell it) cant think of any others right now but never heard of float...

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hee! Hee! But look at the memories I brought back to you all!!   :lol:

Kim, it's 'knickers'  ;)

But guys, how much do you take..................????!!!!  bear_laugh

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I do know of a float all three ways.Parade floats are wonderful,cash floats are important and cream soda floats are my favorite.My Mom used to treat us on Friday nights when we were kids with a pepsi float in a big tall fancy glass with a long spoon.I of course went off my own way and tries every pop I could find.I much prefer orange,cream soda or sometimes grape floats but I like mine thick with ice cream.It's a treat and I don't drink pop at all,nor do I eat icecream often,I'll take my icecream float any day and if someone out there has a money float they don't want,I'll take that too  bear_grin

:hug:,Shari.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Sue Ann (fellow leopard),

I remember the soda jerks with their little white hats! My piano teacher, Mr. Rudnick, used to take me to the drug store down the street for a soda/float after every lesson. This was in Williamstown, Mass., where a soda was the ice cream kind. I haven't thought of that in years!

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Ahh but Sue Ann- Dr. P. isn't what it was when we were kids in the 50's  About 20 years ago they came out with Mr. Pib-  that reminded me of Dr. Pepper more than the current Dr. Pepper.

I think we call them soda's here in the west....don't we?  But I remember fizzy drinks from Colorado Springs and Utah....hmmmmm

Tout Va Mieux avec Coca Cola- My very favorite sign in Switzerland-There we called the fizzy soda pops "Coca"  I was confused and thought my classmates were saying "lets go for coco"-and was quite surprised to get a Coke.

I am so confused..... bear_tongue

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia
melissa wrote:

We call carbonated drinks "fizzy drinks" (keepin it simple now!!) or by their brand names I guess.  Definitely not soda or pop.  Like the aussies, we tend to call fizzy drinks with ice-cream in "spiders".

Yes yes yes!!!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who says fizzy drinks lol  Once I brought it up in a mixed Aussie and US group and another aussie said that we only call them soft drinks..lol...I know both names, but have always said fizzy drink...or fanta etc

You've made me feel normal again Melissa lol  :hug:  :dance:
hugs sarah

Board footer