Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Kilde Posts: 186

I'm just dying to buy an airbrushing set instead of my copic markers...they work fine but an airbrushing set with compressor etc. would take airbrushing to a whole new level (providing I ever get the hang of it...!  :crackup: )

I found a set on a Danish auction site - but I have absolutely no idea what to look for! Please...could any of you ladies who are masters of airbrushing please help me decide whether or not this is a good buy?  :pray: Its new and unused and the seller has 100% positive feedback. The text is in Danish but the specs listed is more or less understandable for you (I think).

The compressor is a AS18a with "push automatic" (?) and a dual action airbrush gun; Stenco M180/HC (identical to Iwata CMC plus) (anyone know these brands) .... are they any good?)

The airgun has a MAC valve (Micro Air Controller) and is - according to the seller - the best you can buy and is used by professional airbrush artists.

The specs are (mind you, I have absolutely no idea what this means so my translation is very direct):

Compressor:
Work air 25 l/m (liter/meter?)
Work pressure from 1.7 bar
Max pressure 4 bar
Noise level - from 1 meter distance: 24db (shouldn't make a lot of noise)
Manometer
Water separator
Pressure regulator
Air particle separator
Weight 4.6 kilo

Air gun:
Nozzle (?) 0.26
Roundpattern type
Top mounted cup
Cup contains 7ml/cc
Mac valve

You should be able to make extremely fine lines as well as lock the air- and paint settings etc.

Its a "buy now" auction and the price is 1695 DKK (= app. USD 375 incl. shipping)

The link to the auction is this: http://www.qxl.dk/Article538963902/Bygg … /P/0/1/0/1

What do you think? Is this a good buy?

I would love to hear your comments  :pray:  bear_flower Thanks bear_original

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Hi Tina, This is Judi's domain. She teaches air brushing  and she would be the one to get a hold of. Judi where are you???????  bear_ermm
Chech out these links for more info.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=22259

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=5162

Hope this helps Tina. bear_original

jacky jacky
essex

Hi  Tina iv just brought a hair brush bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  Do not know if your one is a good buy  bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes  iv had mine for about 4 weeks and i love it, it sounds like mine , i paid about £80 for the set on ebay it takes time to get at ease with it  bear_cry  bear_cry but its fun to play with good luck ,have fun Jacky

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Judi's Queen of the Airbrush, so she'd know best.  But I do remember her saying practice, practice, practice.....and then go practice some more to get the best results from your airbrush.   bear_thumb

Thank you for your replies and tips  bear_thumb Yes, I know I will have to practise ... a LOT - probably for the next 20 years  bear_whistle  bear_grin - but the "real" airbrushing looks so fantastic and you can do shadings that I can't make with my copic markers so I have decided to buy an airbrushing set. I just don't know what to look for. I know they come both cheaper and more expensive than the one I have set my eyes on but the specs might as well have been in Chinese because I have no idea what it all means  bear_ermm  bear_grin

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Tina.
So you have decided to take the plunge.  :clap:   I don't read the language on the link you posted but from the look of it , it looks okay.  BUT....did you say $80.00 for the whole set?    A good airbrush costs between $45 and $175.00...just for the airbrush...then there are the paint cups and compressor....a really decent compressor is around $250.00 to $400.00.  You mentioned a pressure gauge.  That is important to have.  I use a CO2 tank that I got from a welding supplier.  I have used this set up since 1983 and it works great.  I hate noise ( I can't even mow the lawn because I can't stand the sound of the mower) and this is really quiet.

The key to successful airbrushing:  Know-how and practice, practice, practice.......then more practice. 
It is a totally different feeling than painting with a paint brush or marker, as you have no resistance like you do when using pens or brush that presses against your surface.  There is noting between your painting tool and your surface but air.   But it's the most wonderful and satisfying form of art I know.

You should ask the seller of this set how fine the airbrush can spray.  Most airbrushes come with three sizes of needles for fine to broad work.  From the look of it it seems to be a dual action.  Dual actions are great but require a two step process to paint:  press down for air flow, pull back while depressing button,for paint flow.  Single action is only one step:  pressing top button for paint and air simultaneously.  Both work great but a single action is easier to learn with.   A lot of people simply give up easily when trying to learn on a dual action.  I went to a school for fine art airbrushing where everyone had to learn on a Passche H Single Action.  To this day I often use my first airbrush.  My airbrush of choice however is a Passche V and VL.  The VL is super fine.  I just bought an Iwata airbrush but it is still in the box. I am pretty happy in my comfort zone with my Passche's.

There are things you need to learn about paints and controlling the airbrush.....it really is not one of these things that you can pick up and go directly to a bear and get fantastic results.....but you can if you work at it and practice.   A good way to practice is to get some cheaper bears.....like toy bears use those before spraying on a mohair bear.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit rushed....I am writing fast right now as my five year old is hanging on me to fix his tractor hook-up. bear_rolleyes .....oh the joys of parenthood...there is never a dull moment.

Anyway Tina,. check the links that Lynn posted and also look in the TT library.  Feel free to ask any questions you like here.

Thank you so much for all the great advice, Judi  :hug: I really appreciate it  bear_thumb I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner to thank you but my daughter's cat got hit by a car on Saturday and I haven't been at the computer (the cat is getting better now and will most likely survive  :dance: )

The price is app. 375 USD for the whole set - including the compressor. The seller mentioned that he has upgraded the compressor. This one should be better than the one that usually comes with the set.

This airbrush gun can make very, very fine and narrow lines as well as broad airbrushing. I guess that is what I want to be able to make fine details as well as more broad airbrushing.

I know that the key to successful airbrushing is practice, practice, practice.  bear_grin I think I will practice first on paper - just to get to learn how to work the airbrush - and later on practise on cheap toy store bears. But first of all I will take your ebearz-class on airbrushing. I think I need someone to take me through the airbrushing techniques step by step.

Thanks again...I think I will give it a little more thought on whether to buy this set or not. It IS a dual action system so maybe I should start out with a single action airbrush.

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Tina, Glad to hear kitty is doing fine bear_flower .

Board footer