Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Hi all

Been on a weird but interesting travel around the world. All loads of fun EXCEPT my blunt nose 2 inch scissors were confiscated at Bangkok airport.... These have travelled with me all over the world. Now need to replace my carry on scissors in kinda a hurry because I fly again on Friday. Any advice. I see all the folding ones but not sure I can get in the Philippines. Has anyone tried traveling with cotter pins/ heomostats/ pliers etc? Our luggage "travelled without us" twice on this trip and I am keen to get down to hand luggage only. Just the bear stuff an issue. Ok in fairness everytime our luggage got lost my poor man was more worried about the bears than our clothing. Have to love him bear_wub
Look forward to your experiences
Carolynn

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Scissors for cutting thread is out on planes but I have one of those clover round things with a hidden blade, it hangs round our neck, for cutting threads that has always been allowed on. Pliers are out, I had mine confiscated last time I flew after having them allowed through twice........now I just stick to the sewing stuff.

bearhugs

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Carolyn,
I have traveled just fine with scissors over the past several years. The first time  one of the security TSA employees pulled my bag aside and said that all I needed to do was open the scissors so they can properly see that the tips are rounded when the bag goes through the x-raY.   NO POINTED TIP scissors will be allowed through.

Also, you can get tiny blunt tip scissors that will work just fine for cutting thread or yarn.  You can find these in little emergency sewing kits and they work great.  I HAVE to have my sewing and/or knitting on a plane or I will go mad. bear_wacko

I also travel with a teddy bear in my carry-on  and I enjoy the expressions on the TSA workers faces.  Then they will usually give teddy a drug/explosive/chemical wipe down to check tha he is not a smuggling device.  One time teddy got a sticker of approval from the security team.  They probably thought the bear, named "Bob" belonged to one of my children.. bear_tongue

Have fun on your trip. :dance:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

In my expeience there is a lot of inconsistency with airport security. A LOT! I'm amazed at what I can carry on one time and not the next. Sometimes my checked baggaged is searched and sometimes not. I've gotten on board, just last year, with one of those swiss army pocket knives in my pocketbook. (Well, it's small, it's handy for anything from a broken finger nail to a loose screw on my sunglasses!). No one caught it. I didn't even realize I'd had it with me until a week or two after I got home! I've brought bears weighted with steelshot through security, they've opend my bag, seen nothing but "toys" as they called them, gave a shrug and sent me on my way. I'm careful to label the contents on each bear but they didn't even look!

I haven't tried to bring reqular sewing stuff on board in my carry on. I figured even sewing needles wouldn't be allowed... no? I always pack my bear making tools in my checked baggage, which almost always gets searched so I keep all the "questionable" tools in a clear plastic bag right on top so they don't make a mess of my clothes. If I could take a doll needle on board I could do bear faces while in flight. But I haven't dared. LOL!!

I just don't know what to think! bear_wacko

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

yes..airports are very inconsistent..I remember a few years ago I flew from London to Sydney (about 22 hours) with my onboard bag at my feet..i used it as a foot rest cos im short..but from sydney to melbourne..a mere 1 hour flight..they wouldn't let me..it had to go in the overhead..which i couldn't reach..it was the same plane..just a different crew!!

I heard a few people say they took floss boxes on board and used that as scissors..i wonder if you could put your thread on a bobbin in the floss box??..I think they will let you have one small needle..but probably not a doll needle..but im sure some flights would be fine..some will not allow it..it really depends on each crew i guess..i tend to take magazines onboard these days instead of sewing..its just easier

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm surprised knitting needles are allowed.  I did have scissors removed from my purse one time, but seems to me the blunt, children's scissors should be okay.  Think that as long as airport security is as inconsistent as it is, we will never know what's going to be allowed.  <sigh>

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Like Sandra said we never carry scissors with us, but we have one of those Clover things that is on a chain and has a razor inside of it and it cuts thread no problem.  We have also traveled with knitting needles , these are allowed as long as they are a matched pair  bear_grin  bear_grin , also crochet hooks are allowed.  I would try and see if you can find one of the Clover cutter  here is a link to the cutter http://crisscrossrow.com/Merchant2/merc … ory_Code=G

hugs

Shane

thanks, it really is annoying. Can carry an umbrella,,,, could do worse with that than blunt scissors... I dont really do much  on the aircraft but when getting to the destination "need" to do things. I am really trying to get down to carry on only. This time my luggage spent 2 days in Nairobi, 2 in Bankok and one in Manila. Clothing wise I am ususlly fine,most of my stuff is light weight and scrunches up small. You can also wash as you go. Toiletries not a problem. Just the bear stuff. I like going away like this becuase it is usually linked to a conference so I get to spend most of the week at the hotel which is great, no house work etc, can just sew. Oh well, maybe another hobby for traveling.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

You can take knitting needles on a flight in carry on!!!!!! I am just super amazed - I just assumed that would be a no-no for sure! I haven't flown since they started making all these restrictions but used to love to sew bears on the plane so it really is too bad that they have to make all these restrictions. Blunt ended scissors would be a lot less dangerous than knitting needles in my opinion, but who knows how those security people think!
Losing luggage is certainly no fun, Carolynn, so I can see the incentive but I am really impressed if you can manage to fit everything in a carry on - including bear making stuff!

Edie, comes from loads of touring on a bike. you get really inventive. also figured if you can do 3 days you can do 3 weeks. a scarf can double as a skirt. Wear you "biggest" things on the plane. Made some lovely chiffon tops and they scrunch into tiny places and really jax up an outfit. Leaves lots of space for tiny bear stuff.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I've used the clover cutter on the plane too - just looks like jewellery!

Marion

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Edie a few yrs ago we were on a flight from Toronto to Montreal with a company called Jetsco or Jetsgo , about half way through the flight they were walking down the isle with a big basket of buttons with their logos on it, asking everyone if they wanted a button.  I just started laughing, at the time I couldn't bring anything sharp on the plane but yet they were handing out big buttons with big needles in the back of them LOL.

Yes you can take knitting needles on a plane but dont' take a small bottle of water with you.

hugs

Shane

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I've carried bamboo knitting needles on airlines--no problem, although they could be as lethal as steel. As for scissors, what about the folding variety?

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

My young daughter has had rounded end small childrens scissors confiscated at the hand luggage check point that she had in her colouring in pencil case.  The poor thing, she was so upset that she had done something wrong.  I never dreamed that they would be concerned about small, round ended childrens scissors.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I have done a fair bit of travel over the past month or two  for work, and I have packed all my bear making stuff in my checked baggage for fear of having it confiscated in my carry on luggage when going through the scanners,  I miss not being able to sew on knit on flights.  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad   Glad to hear I am not the only one going batty.

Thanks for posting this thread.

Board footer