Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hi everyone!  I've been reading the "real fur" topic and there is such great advice on everything from fur preparation to cutting to lining and stitching.  It is so wonderful to be in a forum where we can share ideas and experience.

I thought I 'd start this topic specific to lining and share a method I have been using recently.  Since my bears are on the small size, at times I felt "all thumbs" when trying to glue the muslin pieces to the back of the bear pattern pieces, after they were cut.

I wanted a clean dry method to use and experimented with a sticky back basting tape that comes on a roll.  I buy the extra wide tape because my bears are small and this usually covers the entire pattern piece.  I want it to stick to the entire pattern piece to protect not only the edges but where the joints are going to be pushed through.

I cut the tape a bit longer than I need, pull of the backing, and affix the tape, sticky side down to the leather.  If two pieces are needed to cover the pattern piece, I overlap them slightly. 

I then use the handle of my awl like a roller and press the tape firmly to the leather and trim around the edges of the pattern piece.

This method won't work for larger bears but is great for the small ones.  The only drawback is I feel the leather working needle get a bit gummy on the point from pushing through the tape while hand stitching the bear.  I just wipe it off with my fingers or a cloth periodically.

This product is in the general sewing supplies area where basting and iron on products are found.

If anyone wants to try - I'll get the exact product name for you.

I work primarily with mink, and yes, it is challenging but the finished bears are worth the effort.

Take care all
Regards
Lee Ann
(2catkiss)

Kessy Kesseys Bears
North Wales

Hi Lee Ann I have set myself a challenge after loosing Chrissy my cat I am for the first time making a real fur cat from mink fur help! where do i start i am confused as ro wether i stitch lining or glue it? hugs sue xxx bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I find that iron-on lining fabric (pellon or something similar) works okay.  You just have to be careful not to get the iron TOO hot.

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

Great idea on the sticky tape!  I've also found the spray glue can be a pain to work with bear_sad and the fumes get to me bear_grin I've been using glue sticks but I think I'll try the tape. 

I've always read not to use the iron-on lining (like pellon) because the chemicals in it can have an effect latter on with the leather (back of the fur).  This might work if the leather is untreated but leather from like a coat has been treated.  But I've never tried it.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

sticky-1.jpgI use Sulky Sticky, on real and synthetic fur.  It seems to really be working well.  It self sticks, like Contac paper.  I just cut it to fit the pattern pieces, or the cut-out pieces (if I skip the pattern or alter as I go), peel off the backing and press down. It can even be re-arranged without loosing its stick.  It holds well and once parts are stuffed, it doesn't go anywhere.
I guess it's kinda like the sticky back basting tape Lee Ann uses, which I think is a great idea, too. bear_tongue
I used an iron-on once and destroyed the fur. bear_shocked

I'm attaching a pix of it.  Oh, I buy it at JoAnn Fabrics, but I'm sure it's sold at other such stores.  It also comes in rolls, which I've since switched to.

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hi everyone -
Sue - the sticky back tape and the Sulky Sticky product will adhere to the back side of your fur without glue. (self stick )  When working with real fur you'll want to keep the back or "leather" side as clean and dry as possible.  And, you wouldn't come near it with an iron :)

I'm so sorry about the loss of your kitty.  I have three myself...they're my kids.

Good luck...I'd love to hear how your project comes along.

And I am really excited about trying the Sulky Sticky product myself! The sticky back tape works quite nicely, however, it didn't seem to stay put as well on some of the older, vintage furs I used.

Take care
Lee Ann

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hi everyone -
Sue - the sticky back tape and the Sulky Sticky product will adhere to the back side of your fur without glue. (self stick )  When working with real fur you'll want to keep the back or "leather" side as clean and dry as possible.  And, you wouldn't come near it with an iron :)

I'm so sorry about the loss of your kitty.  I have three myself...they're my kids.

Good luck...I'd love to hear how your project comes along.

And I am really excited about trying the Sulky Sticky product myself! The sticky back tape works quite nicely, however, it didn't seem to stay put as well on some of the older, vintage furs I used.

Take care
Lee Ann

Cindy Bogard Teddy Bears and Treasures

Hi Everyone,
I have been making real fur Teddy Bears and Bunnies for about 10 years now and as much as a mess as the spray glue can be I still prefer it to the other options as It does not make the bear too stiff like glue does and I have no problems with my needles getting gummy. I have not tried the two-sided tape yet as my teddy bears are pretty big but I may try it on my next small one.  By the way I am also very sorry about your kitty Sue,
I have nine of them and they love helping me make my bears...I have lost more ears over the years  bear_original ....hugs,
Cindy Bogard
Teddy Bears and Treasures

Board footer