Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

BooBoo Posts: 153

I'd like to needle felt a snake based on my actual snake. I haven't done much needle felting but I was thinking that a snake shouldn't be too hard... should it? I figured I'd use some coated wire inside him so he can be posed. Am I on the right track? Or would it be better to just make a snake out of fabric and use fabric paint to get the colors?
1390495402_jsqueezer.jpg
1390495506_jsqueezer1.jpg

Elli Posts: 102

Both would look good, but I would prefer fabric. Felt is a little fuzzy so I think smooth fabric or maybe faux leather with a scaly structure might look and feel more realistic.
I am a perfectionist, so would needle felt the head firmly (that's the easiest way to get the correct shape), build the body of wire and batting or softer needle felting and then cover the whole snake with a strechy fabric.  bear_original

Thanks Elli!! I think the faux leather is a great idea. I'll see what I can come up with. bear_original

For projects like this finding the perfect fabric might be the biggest challenge. bear_grin
By the way, that's a beautiful pet, even though I like the black one in the background better.  bear_whistle

Elli wrote:

For projects like this finding the perfect fabric might be the biggest challenge. bear_grin
By the way, that's a beautiful pet, even though I like the black one in the background better.  :whistle:

bear_laugh I have two cats, three snakes, and two geckos! Hubby hopes I'm done rescuing animals.. at least for the time being. Some people won't even come into my home. I tell them it's not like the snakes are slithering around on the floor!!:P

I think I'm in for a fun time finding the perfect fabric. I'm up for the challenge, though!

BooBoo wrote:

Some people won't even come into my home.

Really? bear_wacko Strange, nowadays it's not unusual anymore to keep reptiles and spiders... I don't mind at all as long as the tarantula terrariums remain shut.  bear_grin

Elli wrote:
BooBoo wrote:

Some people won't even come into my home.

Really? bear_wacko Strange, nowadays it's not unusual anymore to keep reptiles and spiders... I don't mind at all as long as the tarantula terrariums remain shut.  :lol:

I love reptiles... spiders not so much. My husband entertained the thought of getting a scorpion. Thankfully it was just a very brief thought. *shivers down the spine*

Board footer