Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

BooBoo Posts: 153

Hi all!! I have a very dear friend who's having some health related issues. I would like to make a bear especially for her. She's seen the few creations I've made and has stated many times that she'd really like one. I want to surprise her, so I don't want to ask how big a bear she'd like. Smaller bears take up less space, but big bears are so cuddly. I'm leaning toward a 13-15 inch tall bear... small yet large enough to cuddle. What do you think?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Sounds like a perfect size to me!  A very thoughtful gesture on your part.

Hazelwood Crafts Hazelwood Crafts
Kent
Website

What a kind friend. How much space does she have? A large bear could be a problem in a small apartment or if she wanted to take it into hospital with her. 13-15 inches seems like a good compromise. Big enough to hug but small enough to be portable.

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

Sounds like a perfect size to me, how thoughtful of you. Perhaps you can show us a pic when its done.  bear_original

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Measure from the inside crook of the elbow to the crown of the shoulder bone of the person who you are making the Bear for and you will have a perfect, custom fit.

You might want to have the Bear be just a bit taller than that so his chin rests on his human's shoulder.  That would be the perfect size for hugging!  bear_original

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Although I generally prefer larger bears for hugging (15" - 20"), I have also considered the fact that your friend might have to make frequent trips to doctors or hospitals and then it would be a good idea to stay below the 15" limit: it's much easier to carry a 13" bear with you than a 20" bear.  bear_tongue
I also like a huggable the bear to have a good solid weight; but this could also pose a problem if your friend would like to carry the bear with her: in that case it would be advisable to keep him/her relatively light.
At the end of the day I am sure your friend will very much appreciate your kindness and it won't matter to her how big or heavy the bears is.  bear_wub   (at least that would be my reaction to a free bear.  bear_laugh )

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

What ever size you make will be perfect as it it made with love and thoughtfulness and that comes in all sorts of shapes. Hope you friend feels better soon  bear_flower
michelle

BooBoo Posts: 153

Thanks everyone!!

I hit a snag with the bear, but fortunately my friend is fixed up!! She had a blocked artery in her heart. The doctors did a "catheter.. something or other".. said it was a miracle that she hadn't had a heart attack.. and she's now feeling awesome! I am so happy and very relieved! I'm making an 18 inch bear for her, and I just might embroider a pink heart on the left paw pad. I'll surprise her at church on Sunday!! bear_original

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

That's great news, Booboo: your friend is alright and she gets a lovely 18" bear on top!   bear_smile

Board footer