Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm just feeling very overwhelmed.

Between these movie bunnies... they FINALLY accepted my latest design this week so I have the go ahead to make the whole litter of 6 now... yippee (that was a very sarcastic yippee!)

And our two wheaten terriers.... Tucker is showing a lot of signs of distress... Riley is now 8 months old and fighting to be top dog in the house which has Tucker very upset... for him that causes irritable bowel syndrome and protein in his urine and me a lot of worry. Riley I could drop kick to the moon if he wasn't so cute! I spent 2 hours on the phone with a dog psychologist today... don't laugh. All that she said was going on in our little furry/human family made sense and basically I've been a horrible mommy... she didn't say that, but I am. Hubby and I are seriously discussing finding them new homes.... we have one for Tucker anytime and I'm sure it won't be a problem to find one for the puppy, he really is a good boy. But when you've invested 2 years trying to get a dog (Tucker) healthy and deal with his neurotic behavior you really hate to give up. Seems part of his neurosis is lack of leadership and proper parenting on my part. I do agree with that. I'm not feeling huge amounts of guilt.... wheatens are one of the thoughest terrier breeds to work with and not all situations are going to be right for them. Hubs and I are too soft and they need a strong upper hand. But I love Tuck and would miss him so much. So I'm on this emotional roller coaster. Yes, the doggy psychologist thinks we can work thru all the stuff that needs to be straightened out but it'll take a long time and a ton of hard work with no guarantees. She said that sometimes a new home can indeed be the answer.  ***sigh***

And my hubby is miserable at his job, but expects a job offer to come thru next week that will cause us to move to another state and further from our families. The job is a great opportunity and he needs to get out of where he is before the stress kills him. But as most of you know, my dad isn't well and I can't stand the thought of being so far away from he and mom. I'm the only child so there isn't anyone else to be there for them.

There is a longer list but those are the major things.

I know that God and hubs and I will work it all out in the end but the getting there is hard and I'm not one to be patient and I do get emotional about everything. Tonight I've just reached my limit.  bear_cry

If you've made it this far in my post it is YOU who deserves the hug!!! Thanks for 'listening'!!! It's nice to know I've got friends out there at any time of day or night!!!

:hug:
Daphne

mj Pinney Bears
North Carolina
Website

mj Banner Sponsor

Here's a Great Big Hug for you  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

I hope things get better soon.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh Daphne sweetheart, I wish I knew what to say but I don't.  All I have to offer is a listening "eye" and a big hug and a tons of well wishes coming your way.  Life can be so hard and sometimes one wonders if they can take just one more thing.  I'm sure you are right that in the end you will make the right decisions for both you and your family (hubby, parents and pups).   Just take one day at a time and take care of YOU.

:hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Daphne,  bear_flower
I'm sorry you're feeling so off balance.   bear_sad   Just remember, you're stronger than you think you are and you're never alone.

Prayers for peace of mind with warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Daphne, 
       here is big hugs from Japan.......  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Daphne, we had similar problems with our Tibetan Terrier...she was confused and was having phantom pregnancys, messing in the house and the last straw was when she went into the pantry got out a box of wine glasses and chewed them up...fortunately no damage to the dog!!

Our dogs are never left alone but she was struggling for pack leadership...we had a dog training lady come to the house and she showed us how to take control which worked like a charm and now she is the most laid back dog imaginable..and she also suggested we put her on the raw food diet which if you read the blurb makes sense.We've never looked back apart from having physically healthy dogs now they are in no doubt who the leader is (us) and seem to enjoy being part of our 'pack'.

There is a book by a lady called Jan Fennell who is called the 'Dog Listener' she has some good ideas too:

www.janfennellthedoglistener.com

nettie scotland
Website

Hi Daphne,
I have four dogs two rescues and two headstrong pointers.Doggy problems can be overwhelming.I have followed the dog listener ways and now have a happy well behaved pack with me as leader and no problems whatsoever.Buy the dog listener and stick to it to the last letter.It si by Jan Fennel .She is very like your Cesar Romero.My problems went almost over night and we are all so happy now.
The main rules are hard to stick to till we all realise how wrong we have been and that their happy is so different to ours.Good luck
Diane xxx

nettie scotland
Website

I see Jenny said the same thing,sorry for repeating it is very early here and I am dozy!!!!
Diane xxx

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

When it rains, it pours! At least your getting all the bad stuff over with??

Bet that didn't help. Here's your hug instead  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

DaphneHUG.jpg

Poor you Daphne, I hope the HUG helps and that everything works out ok for you all.

Hugs Jane  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: Daphne, I'm sending along as many hugs as you can possibly take  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

bear_happy I promise, it will get better bear_happy  :hug:

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Crickey Daphne theres a big hug coming your way. :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Sorry to hear of your problems, Daphne.... here is a big hug  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh my gosh Daphne you have SO much going on....I'm so sorry!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub  bear_smile  :dance:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :pray:  :dance:  bear_smile  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Lots of hugs to you, along with a dance or two and a prayer.......I figured the dance should help to feel better, especially if you dance with a teddybear!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Daphne  I have no words of advice except to trust in God and believe in the path he has you on. I know the other girls have given you good doggy advice , you have so much to deal with , it's understandable that you are overwhelmed  :hug:   :hug: All I can offer is a listening ear and big hugs  :hug:   :hug:   :hug:  It will all work out for the best ,you certianly are a very strong person!

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Oh, Daphne, I'm sorry that you've got so many troubles in your life right now. It does seem like when you're already down, more and more things just pile on top of that. I know, I've been there. I promise it will get better.

Good news about the bunnies. You'll be finished with those pesky critters before you know and that will take a big weight off your shoulders, I bet.

I understand, too, about the dogs. Our older dog is just great, but our younger one just drives me crazy. I pray for nice weather so I can put them outside. The younger one, Gracie, is just impossible. She's always jumping on and pushing around my daughter. The dog is now 1 yr, 2 mos. and weighs about 65 lbs. That's just too big to be bouncing around on a 3-year old. And now Gracie's starting to pick fights with the other dog. I think I better check out that dog listener too. I hope you'll find a solution to your doggy troubles.

Lots of hugs, Daphne. Hope you'll be feeling brighter soon.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Hugs from me as well.
I have two Boston Terrorists and I know the terriors can be a difficult dog to manage. Mine are 8 year old litter brothers. One is fairly laid back and the other is neurotic. I know it's my fault but I just can't bring myself to assert myself with them cause they're so darn cute!
Marion :hug:

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Hey, Daphne...are you trying to get into the pool of hugs, I asked for?  bear_grin
just kidding of course.
I am sending lots of hugs to you too sweetie...and here is my advice. 

Send them all to Eileen!!! :dance:

She will fix all their behavior problems and they will come back happy!!!

off to the dentist...ugh!
nanc..........

lbbears Wind Lake. Wisconsin

:hug:  :hug:  :hug: Daphne, things will work out  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
  :pray:  :pray:

:hug:
Laurie

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

((((((HUGZ))))) Take care of yourself!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks for the hugs and encouragement, everyone!!

Diane and Jenny... thanks for the info on the Dog Listener. I've ordered the book! So many have recommended various books that are a MUST read.... but not this one. Hey, one is bound to have the ansewers, right?!?

I'll admit that part of the problem is my lack of stick-to-it-ness..... hey, I can't even stay on my diet for two straight days. And my parents tried so hard to teach me self discipline...... so it's not their fault either!!!

Melanie.... read, read, read.... and believe all that you read about the Wheaten's downfalls. There seem to be a number of wheaten breeders in Florida... perhaps you can visit one while you are there if you haven't yet 'met' a wheaten. In fact, I recommend meeting many as they all have similar characteristics but each has their own personallity as well. If you do go with a wheaten find a very good breeder... one who lets you see the parents, provides numerous references, proves there is no inbreeding in the lineage.... and can tell you that none of their dogs have ever been reported to have the kidney diseases (PLN/PLE) that wheatens are prone to. Our younger guy is a great dog. He's the one we got from a breeder after 3 months of my researching and was flown 1/2 way across the country to be with us. He's happy, healthy and beautiful....... now just being a teenager and fighting to be top dog in the house and thus upsetting the apple cart. If he was an only dog he'd be great. You do need to be very strong and firm with terriers... they are very smart and will have you waiting on them hand and foot before you even realize. (That or screaming and in constant battles with it!) They can be great escape artists, are always full of energy and think they know best about everything. I guess I should be PMing you all of this. I don't think wheatens are a bad breed... I think it takes the right breeding and the right person to make living with one successful.

OK, getting off my soap box and going to work on bunnies.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Daphne,
     Haven't had time to read many posts this week, but I am sending the hugest hug I can :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:   I know how hard it is to be away from parents when their are health problems, but they wouldn't want you to miss opportunities because of them.  They will only want the best for you. 
     Try cutting the next 6 bunnies and doing them assembly style.  It has worked for me when I've had orders I didn't want to do.  It also tends to go faster, as you are doing the same thing on each bunny consecutively, and it seems to speed it up.   
      I can't give you much advice on dogs as we don't own one.  I love dogs but I do think that having one is akin to having a child, and I just don't want to go there.  I like the aloofness and self-reliance of a cat.  It does sound like Jenny and Diane have given tried advice, and I think I would try that first.  Maybe their behaviour can be changed quite simply.  If all else fails, you can resort to finding them new homes after you try using the book they both mentioned.   Or maybe you could just keep the well behaved one.  Anyway, just thinking out loud.  I hate to see someone feel overwhelmed like you are right now.  Just keep plodding along and things will turn for the better soon.

Biggest hugs,

Brenda

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_sad  bear_sad Oh Daphne, I'm so sorry things are piling up on you right now.  Feeling overwhelmed like that is just the worst!  I hope things ease up soon. bear_wub

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: Tracy

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Aww, Daphne...here's a big hug, zooming across the Atlantic from the UK for you  :lol:

You sound overwhelmed. Life has a way of throwing everything at us, all at once. I really do hope that as each issue becomes clearer you'll feel less stress, and that hubby will be happier in his work and your dad's health will improve (or at least remain stable). Take care, and try to tackle one thing at a time....  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer