Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thank you, everyone for your wonderful posts of encouragement and strength, care and concern.
For the bible verses and special poem. For checking in for the latest update.
And for sending me PM's and emails with your love and support.

Dad had 2 aneurisms of the lower aorta resulting in loss of blood to the kidneys. One kidney is permanently damaged but other organs are fine. He had major surgery to insert two stints. Unfortunately, his entire aorta has been compromised and the chance of another aneurism is very high and chance of his surviving another are low. So, now we have to learn NOT to live every day in fear of this happening again.

Dad was discharged on Friday night. I brought he and mom home from Boston to Maine and stayed with them until today, Sunday. It was sooner than they wanted to discharge him but he was very confused and agitated in the hospital and they felt this was interfering with controlling his blood pressure... a critical thing! So he has visiting nurses coming in to keep an eye on him and next week we go back to Boston for a check up with the surgeon. Dad's mind is slowly clearing..... he's no longer agitated, just a bit confused from time to time. Mom finally seems comfortable being alone with him and we've got his blood pressure under control.

Boy, what a very scary, emotional and exhausting week I've had! My poor dad has been through more than any human should have to suffer. Yet he just keeps trudging along and won't let anything stop him. Such an amazing man. Mom and I agree we'd have crawled in a hole and died by now!!

The reason for dad's aneurisms was HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE that went UNTREATED. The doctors never felt it was high enough to be concerned about. One doctor did try him on a blood pressure med but dad didn't respond to it so after trying a second without success the doctor decided that it was caused by all the other health problems and pain dad has and nothing to be concerned about so they'd just keep and eye on it. Dad's high blood pressure went untreated almost 10 years!!!! This caused so much stress on the aorta (the major artery that supplies blood to the entire body from the heart) that eventually the wall of it split or dissected causing blood to leak between the layers resulting in a bulb or aneurism that blocked blood flow. Had this been left untreated even another hour it could have burst and Dad wouldn't be here. (The nurses on TT could probably explain it better but that's how the doctor's explained it if my tired mind understood it correctly.)

SO: If you or someone you know has high blood pressure but aren't managing it properly please understand how serious it is!!! Dad's blood pressure was never alarmingly high but even a slight elevation over a long period of time can take it's toll!! Please take care of yourselves!

Now, I'm incredibly exhausted and want nothing more than my pillow, my hubby and the dogs all curled up in bed together for a loooooong nap!!!

Thank you again!! While sitting in the ICU at Dad's bedside feeling like my feeble prayers weren't enough I knew all of you were keeping us in your prayers too and that God would hear!!!

My family and I are so blessed!

Love, Daphne

clare14 Country Bears
England

Oh Daphne, we are all so pleased, and relieved for you, what a worrying time you've had  :hug:

Have yourself a really good rest.....  we are here when you are ready  bear_wub

Take care  :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

It also goes t o show how medicine is not always an exact science and how different each person can react to medical treatment.

So glad to hear things are much better for your dad, Daphne.
(((((((( :hug:  :hug:  :hug: )))))))

How are

you

doing?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Whew!  Scary, still, but what a relief that things have more or less returned to "normalcy."  I hope you get some bedrest, Daphne, and can finally breathe a little more freely.

So glad your dad came home mostly intact!

:hug:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

:hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Wow!  You must all be exhausted. 

I am glad that things are resolving and looking better.  Hang in there Miss Daphne.  I remember telling you a long long time ago that your parents were lucky to have you....still stand Ladyfriend.  You did good!

but poor dad has a little work ahead of him and we should continue praying for the recuperation period too. 

hugs

dilu

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Daphne,
So glad to hear Dad is doing better.  You are all still in my prayers.  It sounds so much like what we went through with my Dad!  He had many good years after getting the heart and the blood pressure straightened out, so I will expect the same for your Dad.  You take care of you now and keep checking on Mom.
Bear Hugs,
Donna

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:hug: Daphne you go cuddle up and get some much, much needed rest, love and recharging  :hug:   I'll be keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Daphne I've been checking TT daily to see if there was any news on your dad....
{{{{{{{{{{{  HUGS  }}}}}}}}}}}}  Don't forget to take care of yourself too  bear_wub

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Daphne, I am thrilled to hear your Dad is well enough to be at home - yippee!!  You must be physically AND mentally exhausted, sweetie and I'm sure you need at least a weeks rest.  Your mum must be a very strong person, too.  Get some rest and feel better!

Big hugs :hug:  :hug:

Brenda

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Great News that your Dad is a bit better and at home with the family - I am sending lots of hugs to your dad, your mum , you and all of your family  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Daphne, I'm so glad to hear that you dad is doing
better..... but you and mom(of cause your dad) must be
exhausted.. I'm sending you my big hugs and kisses !! bear_flower

You are all in my prayers, still.  :hug:
Hugs/Marie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

SUPER GREAT news, Daphne!!!  Take a well-deserved break for yourself now, my friend . . . you've been a terrific daughter!!!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

What great news Daph! I have been so nervous to hear the next update, wanted to email you, but figured you probably had 1000 emails in your inbox waiting for you already.

Glad to hear Dad's on the mend, what a relief!

Danni

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Daphne, I am so very relieved to hear your news, it has been such an incredibly worrying and difficult time for you and your family.  Please take care of yourself too now  :hug:

Hugs
Catherine
x

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I'm so pleased to here your dad's in a better situation, Daphne (and at home!). Please make some time for yourself during all this - I know how exhausting the emotional upheaval is, and sometimes we just don't realise until we're completely worn out....

Sending my best wishes to you and you family  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Daphne take time for yourself now ... I am so pleased to hear your Dad is making a good recovery....

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Daphne, I am so glad to hear your father is home and doing better. I'll keep him in my prayers for a full recovery. I hope you're doing okay too. You must be so tired. Get some rest and take care of yourself. :hug:  :hug:

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Daphne and family, so glad there is improvement and our prayers helped. I will continue to keep you in my prayers and hope for continued improvement. :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  I'm so glad your Dad made it through, Daphne! What a scare--I hope the drs can keep his blood pressure under control.

Rest and recreate, and come back soon to us.  :hug:

Eileen

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Daphne, I was so pleased to get your message to-day, And so relieved that your Dad is back home again. I think though its your turn now for some TLC and recuperate properly from the last few weeks.  Take Care of yourself too. Hugs Rita xxxxx

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Daphne,

I'm so glad to hear good news about your dad.  Take care of yourself too!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Great news Daphne to hear your Dad is out of hospital and hope that he is on the mend.
What an anxious week it has been for your family.
I hope that now you can get some rest and please look after yourself.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

The best news ever...

Lanie x

Board footer