Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I love Sage, too  bear_original

Now if you wanted a TYPE of sage (sorry, used to garden a lot), Clary would be an interesting girl's name.  And "Clary Klokocka" sounds wonderfully international and not too bad at all.  Actually, plant names are great references for people names.  Lily, Angelica, Rose, Emilia... I could go on forever.

Fat lot of help I am  bear_original
Kelly

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Well, I have three girls and they are all "A's" - Aubrianne Estelle (Aubrey for short), Ainsley Mae and Amelia Jane.  If I had had a fourth daughter (WHICH I AM

NOT

), I would have named her Amy Lynn or brace yourself, Amy Gertrude (one of my Great Aunts was Amy Gertrude).  More than likely it would have been Amy Lynn.

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

Sorry Kelly. I thought this would be a new post and not on your topic.I am hopeless with computers!

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

Choosing a baby name is so difficult!  bear_wacko   We had a shortlist and still didn't know right up until I had the baby.  Hubby ended up choosing the name while I was recovering from the birth - I was too stuffed to object to his choice and just went with it  bear_tongue

I like Chelsea or Cassie for a girl.  But it's a personal choice, you'll find the right one, don't worry  bear_smile

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I had 2 boys and up until the birth I didn't know what the sex of the baby was. I love girlie names. When James was born he was either going to Georgia or Amelia. When William was born he was going to be Olivia.....if ever I did have any more children (which I'm not planning on!!!) and had a girl, we would still use the name Olivia as I just love it soooo much and it can be shortened to 'Liv' or 'Livvy' when she's a teenager.

candybears Candybears
Melbourne

I have a daughter Jemma which means jewel however if i was to have another (which isnt likely at this late stage!) she would be Xanthia. I just love the way it flowers on the toungue...
Good luck bear_grin

anne-marie

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I just love seeing all the names that people have chosen for their kids or names they would have chosen!! Interesting how some are plain and simple, some old fashioned, and some very modern and fancy! I'm copying a bunch down for bear names  bear_grin
We named our daughters Sarah Nicole (called Sally when she was little) and Amy Lisa.  If we had had a boy he would have been Samuel James and called Sam. The name I always thought I would use for a girl was Marnie - mainly as that was my mothers maiden name and I thought that would have been so cute, and there were no boys in the family to carry on the name.

I just love the name of one of our friends grandaughters - they named her Mary Elizabeth (I think after the grandmothers, our friends name is Mary) and then they are calling her "Emmie" (as in M E) - isn't that cute, includes both history, simple names and something more modern!  I love the names Emily, Emma, and Emmie!

beary_clairey Luton

I like Bo or Beau for a girl!!! My husband doesn't like that name!!

Bo in chinese means precious one and the other is short for beautiful!!!

I also like Mia as it means 'mine'.

Good Luck!!

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Edie said:

The name I always thought I would use for a girl was Marnie - mainly as that was my mothers maiden name and I thought that would have been so cute, and there were no boys in the family to carry on the name.

That why I named my daughter Ashley Elizabeth. My maiden name was Ash and no boys in the family, just me and 2 sisters. Actually, I'd decided on Ashley while I was still a teenager. Mary Elizabeth was the name of Allyn's great-grandmother.

Joseph Charles is named after Allyn's grandfather, Joseph, and the middle name of his godfather, Charles.

I also like Amanda (my father's sister's name) Cathleen, Cecille, and the older names like Hannah, Sarah, Emma, Daniel, James. I guess I go for more traditional names.

Heather: have you looked up baby names on the internet...there are lots of sites. I have looked there to help with puppy names.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks Guys!!

I love reading the names people like. We all have such different tastes as Edie says.

I'm still stuck on Sage though. Grrrr must........convince.........hubby................LOL

He like the named Kassia and asked me to put that on here to see what you guys think of it, as most of you say you like sage (hey, I'll take the back up whenver I can! LOL) :crackup:

So if anyone's still reading this, do you like
Sage or
Kassia

Better??

Although there are a few on this list I like and if I dont' get my way I can start to convince hubby of those maybe?? LOL

Kim, I'm lucky because at least he came up with a list of names a while ago. Nothing else though........huh! I feel your pain! LOL

Sarah, I love some of your ideas and I"m totally going to check out that site, thanks! I never thought to look up other fairy names.
I also do like Clary THat's a good one. Any other cool plant names?

You guys are awesome, it's only 3 months away (gulp) so you'll find out for sure what we end up choosing!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Heather,
    Tell hubby I'm sorry, but I looove Sage.  I tend to like names that can't be shortened.  Sage would remain Sage, but Kassia would end up Kass or Kassy - hmmm-- NOPE  bear_grin

hugs,

Brenda

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh I'm lovin' the name Sage as well! 

If you need a few bits of "ammunition"   bear_innocent  in the "Sage Debate" with the hubs... here are a few things I really like about it!

1.   It's unique.  Growing up, I always had to be Kimberly F. in school because there were always at least a couple other Kimberlys in EVERY class I was ever in!  She won't be Sage K., or Sage who does ballet, or Sage who lives on Smith Street. 

2.  It has multiple meanings that people will relate to.  My husband didn't even realize that Heather (your name) was a botanical name!  When I hear sage, I immediately think of the herbal connotations, but my husband thought first of the color.... as I think many non cooking, non gardening types would.  My husband also didn't know that 'lavender' was a plant either... he merely knows it as a color word.   And a sage is also a wise person who is consulted when impecable judgement is needed to solve a situation.  There are those who would think of that meaning first and relate to it.

3.  Because the name has multiple meanings and mental references, I think that it would have the possibilty of suiting her regardless of what kind of personality she develops.  Or what "kind" of person she is at any point in time in her life, since our personality traits sometimes change delelop and go through phases.  I was friens with a little boy named Thor when I was a child.  I'm sure his parents were hoping for a big, brawny, football playing boy.  He was anything but.... he was this tiny, lithe, little brainy kid, sweet as could be.  For years, when he said his name was Thor, people would think he was joking.... they would laugh  (Poor thing!)   bear_cry   Anyway, I think Sage could be bubbly cheerleader, a pensive philosophical type, a nature loving earthy girl, or all those things at once!  I know that sounds terribly stereotypical, but kids (and quite a few adults!) can often be that way.  bear_sad   Anyway, I do think it's one of those names that will "fit" regardless!

Anyway, Heather... I think it's absolutely LOVELY!  I hope you guys go with it!

let me see if I can come up with any other botanical names....

Kim Basta

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

I love the name Sage. My husband didn't like unusual names either.  bear_rolleyes

We called our first daughter Hannah Louise (after a particularly beautiful young actress that was around when my daughter was born) and with our second daughter it took us three days AFTER her birth to decide a name for her! I wanted to call her India - we finally agreed to call her Sophie Marie (but I call her Sophia because she has a firey personality!!!!).  bear_grin

I also love to find out the origins of the name - Hannah means Gift or Favour and Sophie means Wisdom. Sage means Wise.

Hopefully, once your hubby has witness the marvel of birth, he will agree that you've earnt the right to choose her name  :pray:  bear_grin

Best wishes & hugs Ali x  :hug:

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
WildThyme wrote:

Oh I'm lovin' the name Sage as well! 

1.   It's unique.  Growing up, I always had to be Kimberly F. in school because there were always at least a couple other Kimberlys in EVERY class I was ever in!  She won't be Sage K., or Sage who does ballet, or Sage who lives on Smith Street.

AH!!!  I'm with you Kimberly!  That's why I gave all of my girls unique names because I got so tired of being referred to as Lisa B. in school.  In a class of 30 kids, there were six of us named Lisa one year and one Liza!  Even in my birthing class that I took at the hospital just before Aubrie was born, there were 9 ladies and 4 of us were Lisa!  That clinched it for me - original names all the way!

Oh, and as for botanical names, I have always loved the name Willow for some reason.  I'm sure you'll have a huge list by the time the big event rolls around!!!

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

P.S.  If you are concerned with how "popular" a name is you can always go to Social Security's website that has the popularity of names listed by year.  You can even type in a name and it will tell you how it ranks.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, I love "Willow" but I tried saying it sternly..... it just can't be done. The name brings visions of flowing gracefulness or soft fuzziness! :crackup:

In defense of having a 'different' and unpopular name.... kids love to pick on you because your name is different and they can be really mean! Also, there is no way to blend in which is indeed nice to do once in a while... like having 6 other Lisa's in your grade. And remember, Lisa, when we were growing up, kids could buy things at the store with their name on it? Never ever was there a keychain with "Daphne" on it. Made me feel like even more of an odd duck! (Duck was one of my knicknames... as in Daffy Duck!) I will say, as an adult, I like my name!

I don't care for Kassia though it does sound good with his last name! (TRYING to be supportive here, Tony!)

K Pawz Guest

OH Heather so much fun!!! I Love  bear_wub the name Sage!!!
everyone has some awesome names!!! some other choices I really like are Rianna, Kaleigh, Willow,  and Kenya

Hugs,
Krista

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I love original names...not that my children ended up with any....Kyle, Erienne (pronounced Erin) or Taylor.  At the time I named them they seemed original...apparently so did everyone else (accept perhaps my daughter). 

However, Shantell was unheard of  when I was a kid and I didn't meet any one else until I was an adult.  In fact, I was at a store once and kept hearing someone saying "Shantell, Shantell"...and kept looking around...getting quite annoyed.   When I suddenly realized this young woman was calling for her daughter (about 3) who was hiding in the circular clothes rack.  She and I had a nice chuckle over it when I told her MY name was Shantell and I'd never met anyone else with that name.  Two of my friends have since named their daughters after me...(middle names).

And, yes kid's can be very cruel...I was often called Show-N-Tell...as well as adults because I was often sang that stupid song Chantilly Lace which to this day I absolutely HATE.

I love the name Sage...it's lovely.  Keep working on him!!!

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
Daphne wrote:

In defense of having a 'different' and unpopular name.... kids love to pick on you because your name is different and they can be really mean! Also, there is no way to blend in which is indeed nice to do once in a while... like having 6 other Lisa's in your grade. And remember, Lisa, when we were growing up, kids could buy things at the store with their name on it? Never ever was there a keychain with "Daphne" on it. Made me feel like even more of an odd duck! (Duck was one of my knicknames... as in Daffy Duck!) I will say, as an adult, I like my name!

Ah yes, the key chains.  Oh, and the hair combs that were decorated that we used to stick in the back pocket of our Sassoon jeans! (Okay, now I'm dating myself but you guys know I just turned 40 two weeks ago so oh well!).  My younger sister's name is Georgi and I admit I only got called Lisa Pizza once in a blue moon (usually my nicknames were more like Jolly Green Giant, brain-iac or Care Bear?).  My sister on the other hand got called "Georgi Washington" (because her hair is naturally platinum blond), "Hey There Georgi Girl" (a song which she despises and no her name didn't come from that our dad's name is George) and of course, the ever popular Georgi Porgie.  Lisa Pizza is so much better than that!

I can't think of anything to taunt a Willow with though or an Amy so I guess that's why I like them.

And I can't find a single key chain or ornament with my girls name on it...even Amelia!

P.S.  Daphne was a name considered for the twins since my OB had an assistant who did all of the sonograms who was named Daphne and I really adored her.  The other twin was going to be Devanie who is a the name of one of my friends from High School. 

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

You know it's crazy... kids will always find something to mock other kids about!  Whether it's looks or names, WHATEVER!   bear_sad   I figured that there was nothong even remotely "funny" about the name Miranda... but kids in my daughter's kindergarden class LOVED to call her Miranda Panda... and she, of course, HATED it!!!!  She won't even look at panda stuffed animals at this point.  I actually looked up the end sound of her name in my rhyming dictonary to see what ELSE rhymed with Miranda so she could say, I'm NOT Miranda Panda, I'm Miranda _______"  I thought it might give her a little bit of a "come back" when the Miranda Panda stuff started to annoy her.  There's only Miranda Veranda and Miranda Propaganda!   bear_happy   I still can't belive that she finds 'panda' so upsetting, especially since she LOVES bears!  There's always something though!   

Kim Basta

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Well, I'm no help - I like both names, Sage and Kassia. They're both a bit different. I do like the subtle connection of "Heather" and "Sage" (wondered if that was why you chose it!). What about calling her "Kassia Sage" ???? - they go so well together!! I picture Kassia more for a baby or younger child and Sage more for an older one - perhaps the "wise person" bit coming in, Kim! I love the two names together! One of my name books shows the meaning of Kassia (also spelled Cassia or Kasia) as spicy cinnamon - doesn't that go well together - cinnamon and sage!!

I don't think you can worry about people shortening names or coming up with nicknames - they'll do that whatever you pick for a name. My sister named her first girl Valerie and everyone called her Val and my sister didn't like that so she picked Gloria for the second one thinking no one could shorten it - well, they did to Glor!!! My daughter Sarah gets called Sarah Bear (or even just Bear) by the people she works with.
Kim if you could just convince your daughter not to get upset about the kids calling her panda then they would likely quit. Or if she could see it as a positive thing then she might even like it.

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Ah yes, the key chains.  Oh, and the hair combs that were decorated that we used to stick in the back pocket of our Sassoon jeans!

I always wanted the license plate with my name for my bike-never any Cheryl though. My name seemed to be popular for about 5 years because I meet lots of them around my age but rarely younger or older.
My son got called Wyatt Burp alot when he was much younger. He also has trouble finding stuff with his name printed on it. I was so excited one day in a little store that sold teddies in little overalls  with names on them and they had a Wyatt! I said to the clerk "I can't believe you have a Wyatt!!" and she said"me either, it was a special order that wasn't picked up...can you believe someone would name their kid that?" bear_shocked
I bought it anyway bear_laugh

Cheryl bear_flower

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Dear Heather: Be careful about the name. For a name follows your child for the rest of his/her life. A name can lead to children being picked on or being successful. Here is a link on this topic: http://www.top-baby-names.net/stereotypes-names.htm

It is important that whatever you chose; make sure the teacher can pronounce it. The child often gets picked on because nobody can recognize a unique spelling or name. Your child will be unique by his/her personality.

If grandma Edna/grandpa Ambrose wants you to use their name and it is outdated, you can make it the middle name.

I remember looking at a study a few years ago in one of my counseling journals. It said certain names carry an air of authority. The study highlighted that certain names lead to better grades in school and job promotions. Those names are Elizabeth, Emily, Rebecca, Robert, Stephen, Keith....I can't remember them all... But the study was excellent in that the stereotype of "what is in a name" was there. Teachers liked the Stephens and Emily's in the class. They got better grads...later in life, they got hired over other and promoted faster...It was very interesting.

I can't remember anymore of those power names, but my money is on a name one can pronounce easily.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

p.s.: I love the name Rosemary (named my first raccoon Rosemary). If it is a boy, I would choose Michael. That is MICHAEL and not "MYKAL".

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Talk about unusual names! I hated my name in grammar school. The teachers never could pronounce Marlys (you'd think being teachers, they would have remembered their vowels, i e a o u and sometimes y). Anyway, I would always have to stand and pronounce my name and all my little school mates would giggle and laugh. I hated that. Everyone else was Vicky, Linda, Susan, Mary. Then later in high school, I get "more or less" Marlys. Hated that, too.

And, of course, Waggle is also a name to be teased. Meeting someone for the first time, they almost always say something stupid like Mrs. Wiggle Waggle. Like that's the first time I've ever heard it and the person thinks it's so original.  Interestingly, to me, neither of my children had trouble over Waggle.

We do have WAGGLE on our license plate and you'd be surprised at the number of people who ask if that's our kennel name or our dog's name.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

It is so hard to find the right name and then to both agree on that name.  I like old fashion names like Olivia, Hannah, Emma, Sarah. Emily.  Couldn't convince Hubby on any of those  bear_wacko  I also really like Jill, but our son is Jacob ,shortened to Jake.  Can you imagine ..Jake and Jill.  Too close to the nursery ryhme and all that teasing.  So Melissa it is with a middle name Jill.

It is true that people will find a way to shorten a name , or something to tease about no matter what you pick.  Just be sure to check that her initials don't spell some odd word.  As a kid I always got teased about my last name , Mailman.  People always asked me how to spell it too !!!   Now, no one pronounces my last name correctly- Wamboldt -as in "wigWAM".   At least I can say that it is better than "Outhouse" which is a common surname around her.  Can you imagine !

I'm sure you will both agree on the perfect name, and may find when she is in your arms for the first time that you pick a totally different name !

Board footer