Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
Daphne wrote:

With 'traditional' trapunto if I am correct, the whole foot pad is one material with individual pads that are raised. For instance, the entire foot pad is ultrasude backed with muslin. You'd then stitch the outline of the individual pads on the ultrasuede, stuff the individual pads through the backing/muslin then shade around the little pads for definition. Again, the entire foot is just ultrasuede. Am I right? The look of the paws in my tutorial could not be achieved (mohair around pads) right?

Hi Daphne,
We did a trapunto doll face in the cloth doll club I belong to and we did it exactly as you described.  We had two face patterns and the one with the outline of the doll's features was on top.  We outlined each feature (let's take the lips as an example) with stitches and that held both the front printed face and the back together.  Then, once we were happy with the "outline" we cut the back piece of muslin, stuffed the lips, and then ladder stitched the back piece to keep the stuffing inside.  Then we just used our prismacolor pencils to shade the lips.  It was fun and yes, it's neat effect.  Better to be seen than just explained so thanks so much again for the pics!  I was scratching my head wondering how you did yours especially after I had already learned the method in my doll club.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

The cutting away the mohair to reveal the suede wouldnt be as effective as the way you have just shown Daphne.
It was just that it was so new to me that it took abit to get my head  around it. We all become creatures of habit aye?
I plan to try your way on at least one set of paws. It seems so quick and easy!! The traditional way takes hours of quiet hand sewing.
Wendy

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Could a reverse applique be done where the ultrasuede was underneath then the top fabric (mohair in this case) cut away to expose the ultrasuede under once the outline stitches of each pad had been done? Then you'd have to fray check the mohair backing and likely not have clean edges.

Enilghten me.... please!

I do think the way you described is the best way to do get this look. It's pretty much the way I have done it except I was not smart enough to cut the whole foot shape and baste it on top!! I cut them out (two big pieces) and was challenged every time (and I have been doing appliqued-trapunto paws for quite a while!) to get them line up right when the mohair always seems to want to push them out of the way. And sewing with such a tiny seam allowance was challenging too.  See, you can teach an old dog new tricks! Gee, I'm calling myself an old dog! Nice!  bear_ermm

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Tami - it's your paw pads that inspire me as you know! I just couldn't do it using precut pieces and getting them to stay in place on top of the mohair so after one very frustrating afternoon I gave up! Then months later I read Shelli's instructions to cut the entire paw pad out and baste it to the mohair pad, then sew the little pad shape and decided I could do it that way. Now it truly is easy... though I have to admit I haven't attempted lots of little pads as you do... not sure I have the patience to stuff and close each one!!  And you are NOT an old dog!
bear_grin  bear_flower  :hug:

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

:clap: What a great technique, but i wanted to print it out and I can only get the first two photos?  So I wrote the info and drew my own pictures lol! thanx so much for the lesson it is so nice of you to do this.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

It's a .jpg file so you should be able to just right click on the image and "save copy as" .... this will save the entire image, not just parts, into the folder of your choice on your computer. Or right click and select "copy". Then you can paste it into a word document or similar and adjust it to the size you need so you can read it, then print it.
bear_original

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Daphne, thanks so much for taking the time to post this technique.  I really want to try this on my next bear............  These photos and instructions will help tremendously!!!!!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks! I love your pawpads and it's cool how you took techniques from several people to create a better way of doing it!

Taiwan Angel Love Bear Forever

Thank you Daphne  :clap:
A very clear tutor....
Great help for us a beginner....
Thanks again !!!! bear_flower

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

Someone asked for a good tutorial for trapunto and I found this one and Daphne - thank you so much - it is really fantastic!!!!! For visual-learner this is great - although I did it already some times with my bears - it's nice to see how it really works
thank you so much - and please appologize, that I took a post from so far away!!!!

TreacleBears Treacle Bears

this is an amazing tutorial Daphne!  I often wondered how it is done and now I know!!!
This will work amazing with my bears as I use vintage print fabric/cath kidston fabric for my paw pads so this will give an amazing look!
xxxxxxx

JanetB Posts: 112

Thankyou so much for a great tutorial.  The photos make it so explicit.  As they say, a picture paints a thousand words.

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Thanks Daphne, I think I will try your method on my next bear.  Your way is so much easier than any other method.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm so glad so many of you are finding this tutorial helpful!  bear_original

JanetB Posts: 112

Is there any way I can download and save this tutorial to my computer for future reference? bear_rolleyes

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

It's a photo image so you should be able to just right click on it and save. bear_original

Board footer