Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

purelyneysa Purely Neysa
Indiana, PA
Website

Rabbit.jpgGood Morning,

Did you know that you can needle felt muslin doll or animal bodies too? You can, it's actually a time saver. The following link goes to one of my site pages... "Ms. Siamese" is felted over a muslin wire armatured doll body.

http://www.purelyneysa.com/new_vc/purely_neysa6.htm

I've added a picture ... If this picture comes up you can see that I'm in the progress of felting over a muslin rabbit, I cut off his ears, eyes, tail and wiskers. For the ears now attached I have needle felted over a sheet of felt. I cut out from the felt sheet my ears and then using my foam work base needle felted the wool onto both sides. I have extended the face and legs, he's not finished yet but will be soon.

Manufactured bears that are string jointed also work as a base, pull them apart and felt the body, arms, legs and head into anything you want. The manufactured critter is just your core. You can find these critters at Jo Ann Fabrics, Michaels or other craft stores. Most are between $1 and $5.

Deb Upstate New York

VERY cool!  :dance:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Waaaay super great idea, Neysa!  You're very creative!  :clap:  :clap:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

good idea. I know Shari here did a great bear where she felted the body.
Gotta love a good time saver!
Heather

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Wow, I would never have thought of that!   bear_thumb

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Wow,that's great,I never thought of purchased bodies,as Heather said ( bear_wub ya) I made my body out of wool,stuffed it and then felted the cloths on.Worked great and I have ideas for more in the works.

Hugs,Shari.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

That's right Shari! And I thought you were sooo smart for sewing a felt body, then felting over it. Because really, it would take forever to felt something that large.
I'd love to see more pics from anyone else that has tried this.
Nothing like a good picture
Heather

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You all are amazingly clever!!! bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Very cool idea Neysa!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

What a great idea ......thankyou for sharing .......  bear_thumb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I love this idea!  bear_wub Thanks, Neysa!

Eileen

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

All these wonderful ideas and never enough time in the day to try them all. I have done some needle felting and loved it but am trying to stat focused for awhile on my Koalas and the "Kookaburra" which is still at the scetch stage. Maybe I should needle felt part of him.
Can I get a fur effect for the chest? And how do you add mohair to the wool? Do you buy it as you do the wool?
Susan
www.adorablebears.com.au

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Susan,
If I wanted to have a furry effect on wool I would take tweezers and pull out mohair hairs and neede/felt then partially into the wool.  I think it would work.  Let us know if you try this. bear_smile

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I have a friend that is felting a poodle using the hair from her poodle.  She has purchased a stuffed poodle to use as her base.  Her question is:  Does she really need to trim off the fur from the stuffed poodle or can she just start felting?
Thanks,
Donna

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I would trim it Donna.  What do you think, Neysa?  I think she could felt over the exisiting fur but it may end up making the poodle bigger or it could get in the way.  I would trim it and start with a fresh pallet.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

hmmmmmm

The only problem with this site?  Too many wonderful ideas and not enough time in the day to try all of them..... NOW!

:hug: for the for great ideas
:dance: :dance: off to the studio.... bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

bear_tongue

purelyneysa Purely Neysa
Indiana, PA
Website

Good Morning Everyone, I'll answer the questions as soon as I can. I have Jury Duty... for how long who knows? I'll try to answer tonight. Sorry for the delay Uncle Sam needs me. Neysa

purelyneysa Purely Neysa
Indiana, PA
Website

Good Morning,

"Furry" effect ... Judi's idea is worth a try and should make an interesting effect. Another idea might be to needle felt the dog completely shaving off the hair. If you felt your dog and then take a tooth brush... a clean one and lightly brush the felted area it will become "fuzzier"

Or just lightly felt in the chest, as I did the rabbits tail in my first post on this subject (you can't see it very well) or go to my site - the Virtual Catalog and check out my poodles ears. I actually felted the ears as one piece on my foam work base leaving the ends unfelted and then just lightly needled the ends to shape them. I then attached the ears to the head of the poodle. Hope this helps.

Neysa

Board footer