Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

I just tried this airbrush I bought 3 months ago, I can't seem to get it to suck the paint up from the jar and it looks thin enough, and everytime I go to turn the pressure up it shuts off bear_angry It has nothing really for instructions, please any tips! bear_wacko

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Brenda,
Is this the first time you are using this airbrush?  What kind is it?  What's the brand name and is it dual or single action?

Let's try to trouble shoot.
Does airflow come through the needle and tip?

Check your color cup to see if it's plugged.  Wash it out then blow with your lips on the tube that you would normally put into the airbrush.

Try back flowing the air.  To do this depress the air flow button for single action, and if it is a dual action then depress the airflow button while pulling it back.  While doing this place your finger over the needle and tip to cause a back flow of air into the cup.  You should see bubbles come up ion the color cup.  If you are using a paint jar make sure the air hole on the jar cap is not plugged.  If you do not see any bubbles then you have a block in your paint cup/jar.

Let me know if this helps.   bear_flower

Also a word about paints.  I have mentioned that paint needs to be reduced but also brown paints, such as burnt umber and raw umber tend to be gritty. Even when properly reduced, these colors will often need to be strained as the grittiness can clog the fine mist of paint trying to get through an airbrush.  You can use an old nylon or knee high.  Just stretch it over the paint jar that you have mixed the paint and water and pour it through the stretched nylon into another clean container.

Hi Judy bear_original thanks for responding, all it says for the brand is MODEL BD AIR BRUSH, it's a dual action and it's the first time I ever tried it so it's squeaky clean. I tries to feel the tip to see if any air flow was coming and I felt none but I sure hear alot of air coming out of the connector part and it's tight. I bought some teflon tape to see if that's the problem :pray. I'll be back and tell you if I can get it to work. ps, your talent amazes me!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Brenda,
Thanks for such a nice comment. bear_wub  :hug:

It sounds like you need teflon tape.  That usually does the trick.  Also tighten the connections with tools and really wrench them on tight.  Half the battle with airbrushing is getting everything working properly....but once you get that...then the fun begins bear_thumb

Let me know ho how the connections work for you. bear_original

hello Judi bear_original well I finally figured out what was wrong, me! I didn't know the lever on the airbrush was supposed to be pushed down then back bear_rolleyes boy was I happy when the pressure came and it sprayed! I can see how this becomes addicting. Thanks for all your advice bear_grin

Board footer