Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'll be honest, I haven't done a lot of investigating on prices of felted critters. I quick search on eBay showed a lot with no bids and some going real cheap, others as much as $50 US.

Are there any guidelines for pricing felted creations?

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I've been watching e-bay felties and minis for about the last 3 months and sometimes I am really surprised.  I saw one feltie go for something in the 70's....It was adorable and looked very very vell done.

I have others, not nearly as well photographed but just as cute not get one bid.   That's so sad because I know how hard the gal worked to create it.....

At least that is what I am noticing- 

I am pulling all my moms characteristics out of my memory banks and being exceedingly critical-both of the the felties and minis I see on e-bay and my own foray into that area.  We used to call her the 'Eagle eye' because she could find a speck of dust on a piece of furniture three feet above her eye level and inside a cabinet.  One stitch out of place, as an adult, and she would say; "boy you must have been in a big hurry,,,,it's really too bad too."

I know critical.  Very well.

I think Shelli has been right for the last, how many months have we been here??, when she gave us info on picture taking....

I also think some of it has to do with name recognition.  Also, I think Judi told me that some people will go on to a specific artists auction and purposefully try to bid something to a certain level to scare everyone else away and then get it for less than it truly should have gone for.....don't quote me on that one, she says to 1000000 people, I could have misunderstood.

But I started watching that aspect too- I see certain names and watch what they do, and then when it isn't something they really wanted they back out, but.....it defeats the whole purpose of a true auction....

At any rate....my $15.00, (yeah NOW they are starting to say inflation...dug  :doh:)

I am concentrating on trying to learn how to get the best pictures- it aint gonna be easy, but the hubster has some ideas....(yeah) and also said gollygosh I guess you need some flood lights....yippppeeeee

Thanks for bringing up the question-it will be interesting to see what every one else says....

bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Mine sell anywhere from $7 to $20 so far and I am beginner... bear_original  I figure that even selling them for $7 will bring repeat customers bear_original I try to look on the bright side bear_original  - they take about 6-10 hrs to make...

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Well, I've only sold 3 felted bears, some felted pumpkins and a unicorn. Most of them have been sold on ebay and they go from $45 - $80. But, keep in mind at that price I only did get one bid. But I was happy anyway. Then one felted bear I even had to relist and drop the price, but the bear was bought by a very nice couple who later emailed me to say that they carry him all around the house. That was the bear that sold for $45.
I didn't think my bears were that great, but they were very different from the bears I saw being sold.
But don't get me started on this topic. I've seen some pretty horrible felted bears sell for over $100, just because of who was selling it. Then, like Dilu said, there were other bears, some alot better, not getting any bids at all. It's almost as if Ebay is a popularity contest or something.  p010.gif
But, that's just my thoughts anyway.
Heather

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

EXACTLY! I see some bears and felted bears that are being sold and I say to myself "why arent mine selling" I think it IS  a popularity thing!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

So Kim, how do WE become popular?? That is the million dollar question for the day!!
Heather

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ebay is lagging right now as which I think is a reflection on the economy ...price od gas etc...

I have been selling on ebay since 2000 and this is the slowest I have seen it yet.  The only other time it was even slower was right after 911.  Things came to a screeching halt on ebay.

Pricing is always difficult when it comes to art.  What make one bear worth $100 and another $500?  I have learned that the value of something is many cases is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
For example:  Take the show Antiques Roadshow.  They estimate the value of any particular "antigue" item...but that does not mean they will GET that price at auction.

I don't make 100% felted critters.  I add the felting to my mohair creations.  I don't like to let my designs go cheap just to make a sale...but I have done that too at times.  I suppose if you wanted to get your name out there it is a start.
As you all know , felting is such a time comsuming process and remember this:  People are not only paying for your time...moreso, they are paying for YOUR talent, YOUR uniquness, YOUR creation.   YOU are special.  I would rather hold on to a bear then let it go for peanuts.

Pricing has always been tough for me.  I have a tug of war with "what do I WANT for this bear...vs...what do I think I could GET for this bear."  What am I willing to let it go for.  I put over $400 reserves on my felted face bears.  If they don't sell, I keep them, put them on my website until someone comes along who wants to adopt them.     bear_smile bear_smile bear_smile

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Well, i sure as heck cant sell my little feltie fur balls for $400! LOL bear_original he he he ... I am happy with $20-$25 for now

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

wbeads1compressed.JPGHere is my latest - the unknown bear (doesnt have a name yet)  He took about 6 hrs to make

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hey Kimmy, it's a start. sweetie:hug: :hug:..and you have come a long way already!  Keep it going. bear_thumb bear_innocent bear_thumb

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

LOL - I have a coworker that calls me Kimmy!  LOL Thank you Judi!  I cant wait until I make some more $ so I can take your class - or if you come out with a book!!! HINT HINT! LOL

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I think eBay is starting to develop a bit of a bad reputation. There have been a lot of 'incidents' as we've read about here and that are happening to loads of sellers and buyers out there. I heard a lot of negativity towards eBay from folks at the show I did last weekend. Many have actually stopped selling as fees are so high, bidders don't pay etc. And some have stopped buying as items were misrepresented. I don't know. There is no easy answer to any of this. I guess we're just supposed to have fun with our art and I need to get back to that..... bear_ermm

Well I've never been able to sell, but I can honestly say I have never been dissappointed buying from e-bay, except once when a really cute antique beer stein broke.  But the seller was wonderful and didn't hesitate to refund my money etc. 

Oh well......

bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have had pretty good experiences... I just hate when people "s***w* me over in shipping!  I dont mind if someone judges shipping within a dollar or two but when they charge $6.00 for shipping and the item clearly has postage for less than a dollar, it ticks me off!  :twisted:

KImm I love the little blue feltie you showed us---he is adorable~!  :love:

Good job.

no.

Great Job!

That face is priceless!

bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I am getting the hang of it bear_original Thanks Dilu!

tinybear The SleepingElf
UK
Judi wrote:

Ebay is lagging right now as which I think is a reflection on the economy ...price od gas etc...

I have been selling on ebay since 2000 and this is the slowest I have seen it yet.  The only other time it was even slower was right after 911.  Things came to a screeching halt on ebay.

Pricing is always difficult when it comes to art.  What make one bear worth $100 and another $500?  I have learned that the value of something is many cases is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
For example:  Take the show Antiques Roadshow.  They estimate the value of any particular "antigue" item...but that does not mean they will GET that price at auction.

I don't make 100% felted critters.  I add the felting to my mohair creations.  I don't like to let my designs go cheap just to make a sale...but I have done that too at times.  I suppose if you wanted to get your name out there it is a start.
As you all know , felting is such a time comsuming process and remember this:  People are not only paying for your time...moreso, they are paying for YOUR talent, YOUR uniquness, YOUR creation.   YOU are special.  I would rather hold on to a bear then let it go for peanuts.

Pricing has always been tough for me.  I have a tug of war with "what do I WANT for this bear...vs...what do I think I could GET for this bear."  What am I willing to let it go for.  I put over $400 reserves on my felted face bears.  If they don't sell, I keep them, put them on my website until someone comes along who wants to adopt them.     bear_smile bear_smile bear_smile

never a true word said  :)
sometimes I make a peice , I dont want to keep it, so Im willing to let it go for less ,but Prices on Ebay are so low at the momment ,I dont think you can use it as a good guide

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kimmy, I love your blue bear.  Fantastic face.  WOW< girly, you are really getting good at this. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I really want to write a book...I have been thinking about it a lot...and I know someone I can lean on for advice too.....

Daphne, I have had good and bad experiences with ebay.  More good than bad though.  It certainly is a bit discouraging at the momment. 

I just bought a toy truck for my son on ebay for .99 cents.  They are charging me $17.89 for shipping.  I KNOW it will not cost that much for shipping.  What I wish is that ebay would come down on people for gouging(sp?) on shipping costs.  It is so wrong.  Like Kimmy said (is that okay if I call you that?) if it is within a dollar or two I can understand that but not several dollars. 

Things are slow right now...but if ebay doesn't try to clean up the activities going on then they are going to lose in the end. :(

Carrie, glad you agree.  It is nice to know we are not alone.

PLEASE NOTE:  I apologize here for any and all my typos...I am click-submit happy here with my fingers...

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Like Kimmy said (is that okay if I call you that?)

Sure, I dont mind bear_original

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

gingerbear vermont

boy, all this talk really is discouraging and takes the wind out of my sails.   bear_sad   i was kind of hoping i could make a start on ebay someday since i don't really know where else to start.  i guess that will have to wait for a while, and i'll just continue to make the needlefelted creatures for myself.   i will never let anything go underpriced because these silly creatures mean something to me, there is a part of my soul in them.  how do you well known artists get there???  are bear shows the way to go or is it just slow everywhere right now with the economy?

hopefully,

ginnie bear_smile

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

I think most people find pricing difficult. It is even more difficult at the moment because there appears to be less demand for bears Worldwide. While it is tempting to reduce your prices just to make a sale I think this can depress the market even more in the long term.(although I have placed a couple of my bears on "special" on my website)
A friend  once owned an exclusive dress boutique. At sale time she would reduce stock and if a garment didn't sell she would put the price back up and more often it sold. She would say , if the price is too low people ask themselves "what is wrong with this article".   I think this can happen with our bears if we don't value our work who will. There is of course that happy medium of also not asking too much  and this is the difficult decision.
With regard to cost of post added to ebay or website purchases, as a rule I include the price of airmail post and insurance so people know the price they bid is the full price they pay. I don't think many would realise that sometimes the cost from Australia can be $ 50 AUD. so my reserve has to cover that cost. I have however, thought I may separate the cost for my next ebay attempt so people see the actual cost of the bear.They then amy appreciate that they are getting a good deal !!

Does anyone have any thoughts? Would you rather just be bidding on a total price inclusive of post and insurance ?
Susan
www.adorablebears.com.au

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

What I find most discouraging is Terrie's story about people in China pinching your auction and therby getting you a bad reputation when they don't have the goods they have sold. That is fraud and ebay should have jumped on them quick.....it makes me so mad when TT ladies get their auctions pulled for tiny errors or even non-existant ones and these clowns get away with murder. If that sort of thing can happen Terrie, I'm surprised that ebay still has any custom at all. Your dilemma has certainly opened my eyes about ebay fraud, and I think if I was going to buy something worth a decent amount of money, I would be sure to exchange emails with the seller first, to at least try to establish credibility.
Kim....your little feltie is just great...you have quite a talent there and I especially love the shading. I think 'Surprise' would be a good name...my daughter rides a pony called that!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Thank you Hayley!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ginnie, don't lose hope just yet.  I am still hopefull that ebay will come to thier senses and do something about these "clowns", as Hayley put it( how true), since thet are contibuting to the bad rep on ebay and for people who charge outrageous shipping costs.

Susan , nice idea to put the shipping as part of the bid price.  I hope you cleasrly state that in your listing as that is such a bonus for any bidder.

I think a bear show is a great way not only to meet the public but for the public to see your work up close and personal.  I have only done two shows.  Both went very well but I find they are a tremendous amount of work and the overhead costs were very high.

I will be involved in an on-line bear show next month.  I'll post details soon in the bear shows column of TT.  I will have 12 bears and some new designs. bear_smile bear_original

Board footer