Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi all!
I have a quick question:  How long do you make your armatures? 
I'm about to tuck my first homemade wire armature into an arm, but don't quite know how long to make it.  Should it extend all the way into the paw pad, or stop just short of?  If there is no set "rule", what length do you all prefer?   
Thanks so much!!!  :hug:

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Hi Laura... I've tried different lengths, but I prefer my armature to go all the way into the paw with a loop at that end so there is no chance the wire end will damage the fabric.  This allows for more posing, but I don't know that there are any rules about it... if you experiment, you'll find what you like.  I hope this helps.   bear_original  Have fun with it!   bear_thumb

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I'm with Melisa,  I go all the way to the end of the paw, or the foot with a loop at the end.
Joanne

Pacific Northwest

Thanks, Melisa and Joanne. 
That's what I was planning to do, then thought maybe there was some reason not to.  I'll be sure to loop the ends.
Thanks again for your help! :hug:

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Yup... that's what I do too.  I also wrap my wire in strips of quilt batting (you can tack it in place with a few quick stitches or over wrap the batting with yarn.  I like to be sure that even if the stuffing compacts or shifts around a bit.... the wire will stay fairly cushioned and burried within the stuffing. 

bear_wub

Pacific Northwest

Kim, thanks for the tips!  I like your idea of covering/wrapping the wire with batting.  I was concerned about just stuffing around the wire.  The batting will add extra protection and a bit more softness. 
Great idea!  :dance:

Board footer