Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi everyone.

I have been playing around with a new technique in needle felting.  It's called "jiggling".

When you insert your needle in to your wool, give it a "jiggle" motion, while moving up and down ever-so-slightly in different directions...just enough to catch the fibers.   What this does is, grab the fibers in the barbs of the needle and pushes them in to your project.  Do this in combination with repeated poking.

I am finding this to really not only quickens the felting process but it really firms up your project . 

Try it and see how this works for you. :dance: :hug: bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Thanks for the tip, Judi bear_original  :hug:

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I've been doing this already and didn't know it had a name!
Tks,
Marion

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Wow thanks Judi.

Has anyone ever tried rolling a bundle of your wool fibres in the palm of your hands into a ball to get you started? It speeds things up a little as well.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Marion, you're right, it's actually not a 'new' technique...just one that has not had much attention.  Works really well, dosen't it?

Yes, Karen, I also roll the wool in my palm...anything to speed up the process. bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Judi....cool.....I had already been doing this.....but I started doing it because I thought it would tighten the fibers in the center a little faster,.

I sometimes feel like the center is mushy even though the outsides are nice and tight

Gooolllllyyyy  and now you tell me its got a name!  And its bonafide!

Woo hoo  I didn't know.... I really need to get some of the books Nysea has but....I have spent so much this past few months that I really hesitate to spend anymore.....

Thank you Judi!!!  Here we go a jiggeling......

:hug:

Dilu

gingerbear vermont

thanks for the tips.   i've been jiggling but not rolling the ball in my hands first,   i'll have to try that one!!! 

ginnie

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

I am going it try it too

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

bear_laugh bear_laugh :Dsounds lieka Christmas carole

Here we go a jiggeling......

Wizpick is a really good website for needle felting terms...I think you told us about this Dilu.

Board footer