Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

old.jpg

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making
my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.
I know I am sometimes forgetful...
But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car?

But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face..
So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore.
I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day(if I feel like it).

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I loved this piece of writing as it is so very true.  I am now getting grey hairs, and everything on my body is starting to head south, but I have never been happier.  It is really a priviledge to have the opportunity of getting older, and as long as your body bits work alright, I think acceptance of yourself is part of the process of aging.  If you can accept the aging process and rejoice in it (not the aches and pains!!), life is a lot more fun.

Thanks so much for posting it.

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

Dear Lynette - all your words are so true, and getting older I realized that I have to live my life, but not the others ....... I have to change my life and I have to look more after myself .......... your words make me think over again and in every row I find so many useful things. I lived my life much to long for people they are nearby - but I've got no thanks from all of them, therefore I will change and will from now on live for me and myself and of course for my wonderful family.
Thank you for this wonderful story!!!! - I will now have a good cup of coffee - sitting down and thinking over ..........  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Lynette,
     This message has so much truth in it - I look at all the little things that my daughter worries over and it is really so unnecessary.  If I could give her anything right now, it would be the wisdom that comes with age, although I know she has to learn that for herself.  Thanks for this one!

hugs,

Brenda

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

As a lady several years past the retirement age, I live by the above.  I use to run around and try to please everyone and never take time for myself but now I have learned to "don't sweat the small stuff"  and "everything will get done in time".  Now I just relax and do everything on my time frame and yes the body has went south and the aches and pains are a bother but I don't worry about it any more.  Life is great and I enjoy every minute of it.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I've always felt sorry for people who moan about getting 'older' and wish they were 20 again!! I enjoy 'now' and the importance of that was brought home to me last week. My boss of 21 years was on vacation in Costa Rica with his wife and accidently drowned on the day before he was to return. He was only 60 and was just starting to relax and prepare for retirement. I loved teasing him every year on his birthday and know that's something I'm solely going to miss doing in the future.

Marion

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Marion,
     I am so sorry to hear about your boss  :hug:    It must be such a shock, if you worked for him for over 20 years.  What a horrible thing to happen.  I don't know how a family gets over such a tragic loss.  It's different than death my natural causes - there is always that age old question of "why". 
     I agree that life, in fact, gets better with age.  I wouldn't go back to being in my 20's or 30's for anything.  There is definitely a feeling of peace that comes with age - I love it.  Take care.

hugs,

Brenda

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Amen to all that!

Yes, we do need to accept growing older, and I think if we are happy with this,
life is wonderful.

thanks Lynette for sharing this :hug:

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks for this very important perspective of growing older, Lynette.  I haven't always lived up to those thoughts, but they are, indeed, the essence of a healthy attitude toward aging . . .  because, like it or not, it does happen.  Youngsters, try to remember those 'words of wisdom' as you start your middle years and maybe the disadvantages of old age will come in a far second to the assets of senior citizenship.  From a 67-year-old, very soon to be 68.

Board footer