Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

SGFOLKART SUE GORRIE FOLKART
West Coast

HI everyone!  I was wondering if those of you with dyeing experience could help me figure out what's going on with my dyeing technique for wool felt. Most of the time I use Cushings acid dyes. But this time I used RIT. The picture below shows a purchased piece of wool felt on the right. The left shows two dye attempts with RIT. They both ended up even yet "mottled" so to speak. Like some of the wool wouldn't take to the dye. The wool felt was white. I washed it well with ZERO. Rinsed it. Then mixed the dye well and put in half a cup of vinegar and put in pickling salt. The colour took quickly so I had to pull them out of the bath. It just seems like I can see the white still deeper in the fibers.
Anyone else have this problem with RIT? Any suggestions?
Thanks so very much!!!!
SUE   bear_original
IMG_4154.JPG

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I have the same problems trying to dye wool felt with Rit.   I mostly use the "cashmere" fabric for my pawpads though and that dyes wonderfully.  Don't think those types of pawpads would go well with your style of bears though... :redface:

bearyfun732 Cutiepie Bears

i don't use those dyes. If you want to make it a different color, it's much easier just coloring it with permanent markers. It saves lotsa time.

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I have the same problem when dying felt. I have tried everything but it still seem to come out mottled. I have even used kool aid with the same results.

Board footer