Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Well after about 5 hours of trying, I have managed to post a needlefelting tutorial on my blog.  It is the same one I did for for the Guild of Master Bear Crafters, so some of you may have seen it.  I am always  looking for blog and website link swap, let me know if anyone is interested.
Joanne

desertmountainbear.blogspot.com

AussieFelts AussieFelts
South Australia

GREAT tutorial Joanne!  What a sweet bear you ended up with too.  bear_wub   I'll be updating my website very shortly so if you are interested, i'll contact you to organise a website link swap?

You said in the tutorial that the nose is waxed.  I've never done that on any of my work.  I've seen the blocks of wax to do it...do you just rub it on the nose or is there more to it than that?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I would love to swap links, whenever you are ready, let me know.  I wax the noses when done.  I have done it two ways, with a kitska, which is a tool used in Ukranian egg decorating, and with a brush.  A brush is easier.  The bees wax must be very hot. It is brushed on, i usually use 2-3 coats.  let it cool.  I heat a small pair of scissors, just hot enough to move the wax and then I smooth and sculpt it. Sooner or later I will be adding pictures of this to the blog to. 
Joanne

joibear Tickled Pink Bears
Durango, Colorado

:clap: Joanne, you are such a doll for sharing this.  It's a wonderful tutorial and can't wait for the
additional part about waxing.

Yay!!! :clap:  bear_flower  :clap:  bear_flower

Kelly bear_original  bear_grin

Birgitta's bears Uppsala, Sweden

I love the tutorial on your blog! I have tried needlefelting before and by your guideness maybe this time I will actually succed with this task!
Thank you so much!

Hugs
Birgitta

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Wow -- thank you for this tutorial, Joanne! You've photographed and explained things very clearly.

Now if I practice for dozens and dozens of hours, I might be able to make something that approaches your beautiful bear noses:)

Becky

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Great tutorial Joanne,

I like your technique for the eyelids. Looks much easier to get both sides even. I also like the way you create your noses. I might have to try this on the large bear I'm attempting to needle felt a muzzle on. Thought it would be better to practice on a large bear then on one of my minis.

Hugs,

marcie Posts: 20

Please please will someone tell me what is needle felting?
bear_wub marcie

Kimblebee KimbleBee Bears
Yorkshire

Needle felting is a dry felting technique which turns soft fluffy wool into a hard/semi hard sculpture by using a barbed needle to repeatedly stab and interlock all of the individual fibres together to form a big matt.

Have a look on youtube or something. I was quite suprised by the result when I first discovered needle felting  bear_original

Conni Germany

bear_wub  bear_wub I love needle felting !!!

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark
Kelly1976 kellys bears
newcastle upon tyne

Hi Joanne
I have just had a look on your website and I must say I am very impressed ! I love how informative it is and the way you write it's like being in the room with you which I like a lot ..... Thank you for giving me a sneak preview into yours and your amazing bears lives. I have been inspired  bear_original
Kelly x

Board footer