Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pipa UK

Hello lovely people ! i have a wee question if anyone has the answers which i have always wondered about!

You often see bears with  rusty keys and bells and whatnot around thier necks or wherever. and don't they look fab ?? Well..   

my question is.. are there specific ways of rusting items unless you buy them rusted and can you buy any old rusty item or does it have to have been made rusty specificaly for bears. i was thinking what if the rust comes off onto the bears fur you know with it lying against thier bodies constantly would the rust not continue to rust therefor marking the bears fur ???

i was tempted to grab my spade and go digging around the garden looking for some old rusty keys and bells  bear_happy

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Pipa - a place that has LOTS of rusty items is www.primitivebarn.com   I can give you more, but I need to go check the web addresses.   bear_original

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Here's a link to a site that does really nice stuff Pipa - rusty keys/bells etc and it's in the UK

http://www.homespunhearts.com/index.php

Penny  bear_rolleyes

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Pipa,
There was a discussion about this awhile ago.  Search under " Brass Bells" - I think the topic is now in Tips and Techniques somewhere.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I have to confess that I don't like rusty accessories at all... Why put "old" accessories on new bears? If I happen to get a bear with rusty accessory, for sure, I will do my best to make the guilty accessory shiny again...  :teddybear:

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Sophie

You are funny-

These look like great places to add to the resource library.....Thanks Sue Ann and Penny

bear_tongue

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Sophie you have made me smile with your comment ...... I can just see you polishing up the rusty key that someone has gone lengths to get it rusty bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Pipa UK

Thanks all for the links, i'm not really after any i was just curious as to wether or not they would mark your bears fur. it's always something that niggled at my brain so i thought i would shake it out and ask the question  bear_grin

Densteds Densteds
Website

I was worried that the rust might rub off onto the mohair and stain it...anyone had any problems with this happening???

hugs,
Denise.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use rusty stuff all the time.  If it rubs off on your fingers, then you need to rub all the excess rust off with a cloth or paper towel.  Or you can put a coat or two of matte finish varnish (I'd use an acrylic based one) on it.

Board footer