Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

Hi everyone,
I really dont know what to do, change my business name or not,
I am known as Wazza Bears, but this was the name I had when I was with my EX and his name is warren. As some of you know I am having a very hard time with him, and I really want to rid of him. And that includes my business name, But scared of changing my name and I feel like I will have to start all over again, but then again that could be a good thing too, new name, new start. I really dont know.... Its just hard to make a decision about it, I would also have to change my website address and everything else but yeah it could be a good thing, HELP PLEASE, what do you think
Peta

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Do you have a list of your customers that you could send your new name to?  You certainly could advertise the change on Teddy Bear Forums...

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Hi Peta,  First of all I think your real name is a great name.  Peta, it is easy to spell and remember.  Before you change your name you may want to make sure people know your real name.  I go by Desertmountainbear but my name Joanne Livingston is on my auctions, my website, my blog, I sign everything I write on here with Joanne, my last name is also included if you are not a member.  If people know your name it won't matter what you call yourself, they will still be able to find you. 
Joanne

Bulli

Thanks Lenora and Joanne, Yes I think people know my name Peta Smart, I have it on my site and my auctions etc and yes I do have a mailing list. Its a really hard decision as I do like my business name, its different but, I also feel there is neg behind it too, and And yeah I think as from the new year I am making a brand you start with my life,Over the next two weeks I am ridding everything in my house to make it mine, redecorating and then I am going away to qld for Christmas to release all the stress and anxiety, and coming back to a refreshed house and mind set, which I think a new business to start all over again will just go down well with it all. As my goal is to move on and take my art further I might even stay away from something with bears in the name.... Not sure BUT I do like my name Peta and it is different too, hhmmmm its hard, but Thanks ladies... xox

Bulli

Just a thought, Maybe just something really simple as Peta Smart's Orginials, Easy but affective.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I really like Peta Smart's Originals.  Just start adding the new name for a little while, then drop the old one.  I think it should be great.  New name, new year, new things, new life.
Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I like that idea a lot, Peta. And it makes it clear that Peta Smart is a name, not a state of mind. (I'm a linguist by training, so the first thing I see is an acronym, PETA, and an adjective that means "intelligent." That's a good meaning, and PETA is a well-meaning animal rights organization, but Peta Smart's Originals or something similar makes everything clear.)

Becky

Bulli

Thanks Joanne, I think so too, it heaps with the direction i want to go with my art too, I could reg it as a domain and still have wazzabears.com  both leading to the same site and could also have "formerly Wazzabears" on the site too, And keep the website similar in design so the changes are gentle to start with.
Thanks I really think it will be a positive change and a new start, You have me excited now :)
THANKS heaps xox

Bulli

Becky, LOVE what you just wrote....... It sounds good to me, And I do love my name because of the PETA organisation. Its everything I believe in too... THANKS Heaps

Us Bears Pennsylvania

First, stay away from ANY name that has the least little bit of political connotation.
You may think some organization is good but at least fifty percent of the people in the world might not agree with you.  By aligning your name with any known political organization, you alienate part of your customer base.  This is not good.  You are in business to make money by providing good products at fair prices, not to make political statements.  In fact, I might even consider using an accent over your name so people don't confuse you with the organization...  "Péta" or "Pëta" or what have you.

Second, you can change the name of your business on your website but you can still keep the domain name "Wazzabears."  It is possible to repoint your original domain to a new site.  You advertise your new domain name under a new URL and just change your website to whatever you think is appropriate.  Then you also have your old domain name pointed to the new site.  This way people can to to "www.petasmartoriginals.com" or "www.wazzabears.com" and they will both end up at the same website.

Just get in touch with the company that handles your domain registration.  There may be an automatic, on-line way for you to just go and change it too.  Depends on the company you registered with.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I too would not use Peta alone, here in the States it DEFINITELY stands for PETA - People for Ethical Treatment of Animals - and there are VERY strong factions on both side, for & against.

I Like Randy's suggestion of an accent mark, this may deflect any suggestion of a connection.
e.jpg
Of all of these ways of pronouncing the letter 'e', which is the one that is used to say your name? That addition alone to the e in Peta would be enough to break the eye from seeing 'PETA', which I always have when I see your name (though it has a lot to do with having 2 grandies who are vegan/vegetarians)

Even 'Peta Smart Originals' still doesn't define what it is that you do, though you may be choosing this non-connection on purpose, just as I did when I chose the trade name Creative Design Studio 45+ years ago, because it has covered me in my trained profession of cosmetologist, as well as the glass work that I've done, many other endeavors since and the more recent custom knitting and bear-work.

My website has the bear word in it, because it is specifically dedicated to bears: if I did another 'craft', I'd design another, second site. And if I had family to include, I'd put them onto another, different site or a blog, as I don't care for the combination of family with business.
It is a lot to consider, but you are absolutely correct in your thinking that this is the ideal time for changes.
Just go slowly and think them through for the long-term; don't do them retaliatory.

Good Luck to you - - and Happier Times in 2010 and Beyond!!!

kynthia Posts: 140

juz another thought.

if u wanna use "Peta Smart's Originals" as ur domain name, the ' in it might pose some difficulty. so it will be www.petasmartsoriginals.com or www.petasmartoriginals.com?? might be a little too lengthy. 

juz my 2 cents worth  bear_grin

Us Bears Pennsylvania

This is strictly brainstorming...

How about using your initials?
Gosh!  I hope your middle initial is "J"!  Oh, that would be so cool!

How does this sound to you?

"P.J. Smart Bears"

Got a ring to it!  Doesn't it?

And the domain, "pjsmartbears.com" is open too!  :D

Plus, if your country requires you to register business with fictitious names, using your own name might help you bypass all that junk.

Just an idea...
bear_original

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

What about just using "Peta Smart Art"  has a nice ring to it and it's not to long, consider when doing business cards or banners. Keeps it short and simple and it's not just taking bears into account it's taking all the different creative things that you do.

Best of luck Peta, sounds like you are getting your life back and in order good for you, great way to start a whole new yr.

big hugs

Shane

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Peta,
I love your name and moving on, starting fresh. 
I agree, it would be really cool if you decide to use it. 
Hugs
Laura

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

How about Pet-A-Bear. bear_original
You could work it several ways, adding to it. bear_original

Bulli

Wow Guys alot to think about, Thanks heaps, I was considering Peta Smart's art, as well as Peta Smart art designs, As I am studying visual arts at uni and majoring in  sculpture and split minor in ceramics and glass, I want something that I can going in any direction with. I will still be sticking to animals But my goals are to expand on what I already do in major directions.
US BEARS - a little secret, NO way would I use my initials, LOL my middle name is nicole and my initials are PNS, Now sound that out........ HAHAHA A males private parts, HAHAH SO NO on that one.
You all have some great ideas, and thanks so much for the well wishes tooo, I really think if I am going to pick up my life and start fresh I do think my business name needs to change too.
So thanks again HEAPS and merry Christmas xoxox

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I love the Pet-A-Bear.  Nice play on your name and what you do.  I think a change is always a good thing.  Break from the past with a fresh start.  I agree with those that have said add the new name and slowly stop using the old.  I'm a graphic designer and I do this alot for my clients when they change company names.  I would pick a new name for yourself, leave your current information alone for the moment, like your website etc.  Except for changing the Top of your page from Wazzabears to the new name you have picked, in smaller writing add formerly Wazzabears.  You might want to add the formerly wazzabears outside of the green and gold box you have there, but keep it clear enough so people realize it is the same person and company. Keep the colours and font the same if possible for the moment.  Make the changes slowly and give people a chance to adjust to the change.

Hope it all goes well

Hugs
Amber

susiray Bear-Hands
Algarve, Portugal

i want to wish you lots of luck Peta and i think its good to change and start a new, the last thing you want is to be reminded of old bad times, just give yourself a change over time on your web name so people can find you.

great way to start your new year 'OUT WITH THE OLD AND IN WITH THE NEW YOU' times can be hard but think of all the new experiences you are going to have. i must say i met a great guy after lots of bad years and we have been together 14 years and got married 2 years ago and still very much inlove, so take you time in your new live.

HAVE FUN, find yourself,
big bear hugs to you

from Susan xx

Bulli

Thanks Amber, for the advise, I was thinking of doing that slowly.... So people dont get confused,
Thanks Susan BIG HUGS xox, Dont worry, I am in no rush to meet anyone at the moment, I really want time out on my own, I have such a busy lifestyle with 4 kids, Uni and my business, I dont know where I would fit in any time to date someone LOL.
Thanks again everyone, you have made me very excited for the new year coming, By the way I am really liking "Peta Smart Studios", It keeps it open for me to make and creative not just bears but anything really.
Cheers all xox

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I was wondering about your biz name Peta and if you'd change.  I like your name too, hope you go with that, it sounds really good  bear_thumb

Bulli

AWW Thanks Sarah, And By the way that little girl in ur pic is SOOOOOO CUTE I want her....... xoxox

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

awww thanks Peta, giant hugs bear_original

Board footer