Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

teddyretirementhome Woo Bears
toronto

Hi again!

Yes, its me, the bear bug!

I've noticed alot of old and old style bears sit with their feet facing out and flat to the floor.  How can I get this effect through positioning my joints?

My first bear also turned out looking like a toddler or the end of a coffee table, his legs/feet were so far apart! But if I put the joint down lower, he looked really tall and it sort of made the arms appear shorter cos they barely grazed the top of his hips.

Any tips for getting it just right? :)

Cheers and many thanks

Brenda
teddyretirementhome

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Brenda,

I've never tried to joint a bear to achieve the flopped-out feet, but I do have experience with "coffee-table" legs.  bear_grin

The best remedy I've found is a pattern with a nice, angled cut that makes the lower body tapered toward the center. That lets you position the legs correctly without having a very "hippy" bear.

I usually make four-piece bodies, but I've also done this with two-piece bodies by using a good, deep dart on each side of the bottom portion. (With a four-piece body, you'll have a definite straight line angling down on all four pieces.)

Becky

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi again, Brenda.

If you read through this thread, I think you'll get some good tips: http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=3844

Becky

susiray Bear-Hands
Algarve, Portugal

Hi There

Paula has a great tutorial on the link below on the http://masterbearcrafters.ning.com

http://masterbearcrafters.ning.com/page … tage-style

bearhugs susan

teeeej Brisbane

I am sorry Susan. But that link is useless unless you are a member of that site.

susiray Bear-Hands
Algarve, Portugal

why not become a member there's lots of TT there  :hug:

teeeej Brisbane

I can't, I do not sell my bears. bear_cry Otherwise I would join.

teddyretirementhome Woo Bears
toronto

My request for membership won't be accepted either.

It won't accept membership applications unless you are a "professional" bear maker.  They ask for photos of your work (so one person can judge them?) and to list what sales outlets carry your work.

Hrmph.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA
teddyretirementhome wrote:

My request for membership won't be accepted either.

It won't accept membership applications unless you are a "professional" bear maker.  They ask for photos of your work (so one person can judge them?) and to list what sales outlets carry your work.

Hrmph.

I believe photos are requested not because they are judged but because they are displayed in a gallery.  I think you must have been selling your bears for at least a year to join.  It is asked where you sell your bears.

Most of the topics brought up on the Guild are business related, selling, shipping, etc.

It is a different type of forum than here.  I am happy to belong, and any one who has been selling is welcome to apply.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Thanks for clarifying things Joanne. bear_flower

I'm sorry I can't fling open the Guild doors to everyone, but it was set up with a clear aim to provide an opportunity for working bear artists (ie those who have been running their own bear businesses and trading for at least a year) to discuss work related matters in private and progress their work and hopefully the industry, with the help of their Guild colleagues.  The one year criteria is to give the bear artist an opportunity to establish their business and to show commitment to the progression of their own range of designs.

The Guild isn't an open chat forum like Teddy Talk, it has been created with a specific aim in mind.  It isn't a general forum for bear artists, hobbyists, shops, collectors, magazine editors etc etc .. after all, we have our Teddy Talk forum serving that purpose and serving it well. 

The Guild is provided solely for bear crafters who meet the 'designing and selling for one year' application criteria.  It is non-elitist and welcomes applications from anyone who can prove they have been designing and trading their bears for at least one year.

The reason photographs and sales outlets are requested from applicants isn't to judge their work, it is simply to prove they are creating bears and making them available for sale, because I receive many applications from curious non-bear makers and hobbyists, who aren't yet ready to sell their own range of work and as such aren't ready for Guild membership.

I hope that explains things! 

Please remember, there are many, many talented bear makers offering help to newer bear makers right here on TT! bear_original

teeeej Brisbane

I have no problems with this Paula. I was just pointing out that there is no point posting a link to a site that some people are unable to view.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Teeej,

After reading through the queries about the Guild, I thought I'd better explain what it's all about. 

Happy bearmaking!

Board footer