crystalbear Crystal Bears
Derby

What brand of thread do you use??

just curious!  bear_grin

I use Gutermann

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

hehe, depends on what you are doing.  I crochet most of my mini bears with alot of different types of thread, but I don't think that's what you meant by this question.  For thread jointing I use upholstery thread.  For crocheting the bear itself I usually use punch needle thread, perle thread, tatting thread, lace weight yarns, etc.  For attaching eyes again I use upholstery thread.  For facial expressions I use embroidery threads.

Hope this is what you were looking for.   bear_original

/miniteddyhugs,

teeeej Brisbane

I also use Gutermann for sewing my bears. I use venus upholstery thread for closing up the seams.

BequestBears Butterfly Bequest
Website

I use Guterman for my bear too.  (And for my first quilt that I am working on now) bear_shocked
Diana

crystalbear Crystal Bears
Derby
PeachtreeCottage wrote:

hehe, depends on what you are doing.  I crochet most of my mini bears with alot of different types of thread, but I don't think that's what you meant by this question.  For thread jointing I use upholstery thread.  For crocheting the bear itself I usually use punch needle thread, perle thread, tatting thread, lace weight yarns, etc.  For attaching eyes again I use upholstery thread.  For facial expressions I use embroidery threads.

Hope this is what you were looking for.   bear_original

/miniteddyhugs,

which upholstery threads you use??

I use embroisdery thread (DMC) for noses...

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I use a bonded Nylon thread that I got from Disco Joints and Teddies.  I find it is the best.  I used to complain that my thread always knotted and I hated Gutterman thread for that reason. This stuff doesn't knot often, if it does it comes out easy.  And I find it doesn't fray like some others.  I sew everything by hand so that is probably why I have a problem with most threads.

And I'll pass on a tip I got from the Bears Guys.  Always knot the end that you cut if you are hand sewing.  The thread doesn't knot in the middle when working with it so much.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Guteermann here too, doubled for closing seams.
   Amber, have you tried Thread Heaven for your fraying on other threads? It really helps prevent that. I also second the Bear Guys re the threading the cut end- I always thread while it's on the reel so I dont get mixed up... Always quite likely to happen with me lol

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

which upholstery threads you use??

It's Coats.  I usually can find it at Joann's.

/miniteddyhugs,

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I also use upholstery thread or whatever is really thick.  I ask them at the fabric store to get me the thickest stuff they have so I can feel what I'm doing.

Board footer