Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Tatty Bears South Australia

I am in the middle of my first mini ( 4 inch) bear and I am realizing these are a whole new ball game.

I got some 1.6mm split pins from the hardware shop and some 10mm round jewelry findings that look like little washers ( don't know what they are really for) from the craft shop, so that's my joints sorted.

I also worked out that the sewing has to be smaller and tighter with minis, aren't sewing footpad on a mini a real #%^^*+.

Fray stop is your best friend.

I don't like sewing on ears at the best of times but Mini ones, I have worked out that if your sewing is a little dodgy you can attach bits through the head a bit like putting in the eyes. Yay!!

And as for those tiny eyes, OMG if you drop one of those down the side of the sofa that ain't coming out, ever, and don't get me started on turning the finished bits, how do you do it?? Although I have figured out that when your turning a piece a little bit of stuffing makes it easier to push the seams out do you don't poke a hole through the fur. bear_sad

Oh and don't throw out any scraps of fur, if you stuff something up the tiniest bit of scrap fur could be your savior.

Well that's my little rant for now but I'm sure there will be more before I'm finished. Oh and is it me or does a mini bear usually take longer than a regular bear????? bear_grin

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

True, all true!!!!  But they are worth it.  I only do one once in a while because, yes, it takes me longer!  Looking forward to pics!

bearlady13 Posts: 177

Yes takes longer but worth it. I love seeing them come alive and I can take them with me everywhere.  i keep a project in my purse for when I have to take hubby to doctors offices, I can sew a leg here and arm there and then stuff them and complete them later at home. It gives me something to do and I feel like I done something with the time you have to wait.  Can't wait for pictures of your bear.

Katrina's Miniatures Katrina's Miniatures
Website

Haha, I'm the exact opposite bear_original I almost only make microminiatures, so full-size bears are a real challenge for me! There's so much material when you work on something larger that I can't even figure out how to hold it all! Not to mention actually having to use a sewing machine and pins and having to feed the material through evenly...then there's the stuffing...how much can one bear need? Seriously though, hope your mini-making goes well! Would love to see pictures! (and turning is also easier if you use hemostats; they have a blunt tip, and they can grip the fabric well, though I like the idea of using a bit of stuffing). And yes, I must admit that the ears are a bit of a challenge...

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

I make a range of sizes from 4" to 18" but I definately prefer to make the minis.  I love working with sassy fabrics and the challenge of creating a little face full of character on a bear so tiny.
Mind you, I always have to grow my nails a bit when working with the miniature bears, if not, I find I cannot hold the materials and tiny parts!  :lol:

Hugs

Lisa x

Beth Anne Beth Anne Bears
New River, AZ

When I first learned how to make bears, it was doing mini ones, about 2-3.5 inches. I love the tiny pieces and how they look when they're done. I made 3 10 inch bears as gifts once and I don't think I'll make any more that big  bear_tongue   I prefer hand sewing, so using the sewing machine on mohair fabric was as frustrated as I ever want to be. And I agree with Katrina - stuffing just went on and on!

I would love to see your mini when it's done  bear_original

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

I loved reading this thread!   ;)
I had just been shopping in the Sassy store on EBay thinking of trying my hand at smaller bears and then I saw this post which makes me think I should try smaller bears.  I have always loved the tinier ones but I am worried about a few things....

I use locknut joints now because I have such a hard time with cotter pin turning and speaking of turning...how hard is it to turn your pieces right side out after you sew them on such small bears?

I scaled one or two of my patterns down a few months back in hopes to try a little guy so maybe I should just plunge in.

What about eyes?  I normally use 10mm.  How do I know what size to order? bear_tongue

LitWit Posts: 298

I just started my first small bear- not sure if it's considered a " mini," but it's a standing brown bear, about eight inches from nose to tail.  http://www.etsy.com/listing/62365305/jo … by-aerlinn  The fur is real rabbit, and I thought that it would look nice, since it's so long and sort of "shaggy," but man, does all of that fur make it tough to turn the pieces! I might have to try clipping the fur a little, because it's too long in certain places, but I love the design! I never would have thought that it would be such a simple pattern. This will definitely be the last eight-inch bear that I make! Next time, I'll enlarge all of the pieces and make a great big fellow. bear_original

Ginie-Lee Hug A Bye Bears

I too loved reading this thread, I found that I have settled into making miniature bears without really intending to. I just love how you can get all the character and design of a traditional bear into something that you can fit into the palm of your hand!
True they take a long time to complete but are definitely worth all the effort. I also like that I can fit my materials, stuffing, fur and tools into a small container that takes up hardly any room at all! Sometimes I'm tempted to leave my bears "bare" beacause the challenge of creating scaled down clothes and accessories for miniatures is an art in itself!!!

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

@Tatty....I totally feel you-  I made a couple of mini-bears just so I could say I did, and lets just say there were far more cursewords issued than an innocent little bear's ears should hear ;)
It's fortunate that I specialize in big bears, because my big fat mechanic's fingers are no good for making anything smaller than 20 inches.

Board footer