Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Stitchedbear Posts: 3

Hi everyone. It's my first post...

I am attempting to restore our antique family teddy. I like to make soft toys for my kids so I've decided I can probably do this but I've sort of crossed into unfamiliar territory so I thought I'd get some help from the experts.

Ed the Ted is a large Farnell I think and pre/circa WWI according to the age of my grandmother to whom he belonged, but he's in ok nick. So here goes with the questions if anyone can help..

1 When I replace the eyes (missing), where do I hide the thread at the back? Ears?

2 I have to replace the feet pads (paws are ok) which have split open. I have some matching wool felt but what do I use instead of that weird layered cardboard stuff they placed between the wood wool and the felt? I think it's there not only to create a barrier but also so when he stands his feet have flat soles. Do I need something acid free?

3  I would like to add a bit more chubb to his tum and chest, it's a bit loose. I think I can source wood wool, but does it have to be special, chemical free wood wool? Should there be a seam right up the middle? I can see some stitching near his belly button but not really a seam.

4 Whist I am operating on his tummy I may as well replace the growler. Where do I get one? Which is best for original sound? I can't find any from Internet searching. It still worked when I was a kid but have forgotten the sound, definitely not like a cow though!

5 I am not super concerned about the value of this teddy as it's not something I would consider selling, but if I did stitch over the nose and mouth, would I 'wreck' him? Stitching is still ok, only one side of the mouth is missing and the nose is a bit raggedy but quite good. Basically I don't NEED to do it, but feel it would spruce him up a lot.

6 One ear is missing. Is there anything around that even remotely resembles original style mohair? He looks fine with one ear as the rest of him is pretty good, but I would like him to have one for his own sake.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me...

I will be back with more questions no doubt.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Stitchedbear,

That's a great list of questions, but I would highly recommend that you make a traditional jointed teddy from a kit first - just to see if you run into any problems, and to pick up some of the basics (even an experienced stuffed-toy maker might run into some problem areas, I would think). Are you in the UK? If so, you could visit http://www.bearbasics.co.uk/ for everything you need (e.g. a kit, some filling, and a growler).

Kits usually include complete instructions, but if you have questions as you go, this is the place to come to.

Becky

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Oh - a P.S. on the missing ear. It's very difficult to match old mohair exactly, and restoration experts work for years to learn how to do it, but many people take apart the remaining ear and use the two pieces as the front halves of two new ears (newer mohair goes on the back side, and ted has two ears again.

Hi Becky,

Thanks for replying. I would love  to make a teddy. Well I would once I get through the dozen or so unfinished craft projects in the queue ahead! I am in Australia and they do have a good teddy supply shop here but it's not so good on things for antique bears like growlers and mohair. I will check out bearbasics, sounds great and hopefully they ship overseas. Great idea about the ear. I know we have the original ear and eyes (one has split) "somewhere" in my mother's house, but they won't be found in time for the current generation. I am trying to finish Ed for Christmas, ha ha. It's ok if he's a work in progress but he certainly needs eyes and his feet patched so he can stand.

Anyone have any ideas about the cardboard stuff for the feet?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I think you will get everything you need from Beary Cheap. I usually hide the threads from the eyes under the neck part of the head...so depending on how tight it's fixed on that might be possible if you use a doll needle. Other than that  I would take the ears off then hide the threads there and then replace the ears over where you hid the threads.
It's hard to hide threads because they tend to make a dent  where you tie them off. Depending on which way the threads go through the head your teddy will end up looking very different so try out different directions.
You will get your wood wool from Beary Cheap...As for the footpads...well I would just use a piece of mount board ..it's  good enough for artwork.
Stitching over the nose and mouth would only be a catastrophe if you damage the fabric beneath...but I would look on line to see what the original stitching was like and copy it. If it goes wrong ...start again!

Copi Khatz Creations Copi Khatz Creations
Worcester

Hi
From doing some reading on Farnell bears, I understand that until the 1920s standard cardboard was used in the footpads, so go for an acid free, solid card and you should be fine. The art-grade mount board Jenny suggests sounds ideal. As a rule of thumb, I would say that less is more with restoration, so don't be afraid to leave things as they are if they look OK to you. I did some selling for a doll restorer who also worked on bears - perhaps a doll hospital would be able to give some advice on mohair and sourcing authentic growlers? 
Best of luck with your teddy,
Claire.   bear_original

teeeej Brisbane

Hi. Whereabouts in Australia are you?? We have loads of Teddy Bear Supply Shops in Australia which sell both mohair and growlers. Here's the links to their websites..

Gerrys  Teddy and Craft Design in QLD
Beary Cheap in QLD
Teddys Bits in Sydney
Art of the Teddy Bears in Sydney
Bear Essence Vic
Teddy Tree Perth

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

here's the deal with setting eyes....you can run your stiches to the back of the head or under the neck depending on how you want them angled, but here's the trick- you need to use a large bore doll needle (that will push a nice big hole through the fabric backing) then be very careful to put the needle right back through that same hole. The idea is to anchor the eye thread on the stuffing, not the fabric. as long as you have his head stuffed well, you should be able to get plenty of tension on the thread without leaving a "soft spot" on the back of his head.
also. be sure to use 100% nylon upholstry thread for that.

good luck!

Hi everyone.
Thanks so much for all the excellent help.
Update.
Edward has been fixed for now and successfully given to his newest family member. I just tried to fix what was urgent and am ok about his being a work in progress.
Master five has told me however that I am not allowed to operate on his tummy under any circumstances. He would also really like me to add the missing ear.
I am pretty pleased at how he turned out. I will upload some pics next post if I can.
My doll needles worked a treat although I wish I had read about attaching the eyes under the head before I did it! His nose looks great although if I'd had more time I would have swapped for a slightly darker thread. I copied the outline of what was there and found only a solitary image of a similar pre-WWI Farnell to copy as well. I love how you can do that on the net!
I used waxed linen thread for the eyes attached under the ears. I couldn't get hold of the right eyes as I only knew of Bearycheap and not the other Australian suppliers (thanks for that teeej) . So I guess I will have to replace them for the right size. They really look too big (20mm I think) but were the only clear ones (as per original eyes) I could get. You can't see the thread as Edward's mohair is excellent for his 100ish years.
The foot pads were the hardest. I used acid free cardboard for one foot - not sure if it was the mounting kind- and carefully stitched the original felt over the top of the replacement felt so he still has the authentic bits, but they are not doing any tension bearing work. The original wool felt was a much nicer golden colour than any I could get my hands on. I had to use a lot of strengthening stitches around the edges of the feet and pads as the fabric was pretty fragile there and it was tricky to get the exploding wood wool stuffing back into the feet and the cardboard flat and sitting straight. It took AGES. Obviously this must be much easier to do from the inside of the leg when making a teddy! Again I wished I could have gone shopping to get the perfect thread colour to hide these stitches but oh well! It's better to let go of those wishes in the interest of actually getting the job done sometimes. I have been meaning to finish Edward for three years now.

Board footer