Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I would like to make my felted bear nose shinny and hard. Has anyone done this and what did you use?

I'm thinking about trying some wood shellac?  Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

I do have some wax but I didn't want it to soft. 

Thanks.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

You could try with polyvinilic glue. It would be hard but slightly flexible. I have used it to harden cat noses. It is slightly shiny, white when you apply it but dries transparent. You can dilute it with water so that it goes deep in the needle felting. You might give it a try on a needle felted ball, to see if you like the result without compromising your nose! bear_original

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

I've never heard of it but I'll see if I can find some.  I'll Google it!

Thanks Francy!

Elli Posts: 102

I've read of artists using several coats of mod podge and sanding in between to get the nose smooth. But maybe simple acrylic shellack (don't has to be specific for wood), nail polish or wood glue would work too...
Why not give it a try (on a test piece of course bear_laugh ) and tell us about the result? bear_whistle

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

Thanks for the suggestions Elli! I have some Mod Podge and of course nail polish!

You always know that TT is the place to get ideas that you weren't thinking of!

Testing will start this weekend!!

Elli Posts: 102

I hope it works out for you, I'm looking forward to your report!  bear_thumb

Hazelwood Crafts Hazelwood Crafts
Kent
Website

I'd love to hear how your esting goes. I've not had much luck making felted noses shiny. I've tried Mod Podge, varnish and wax but usually end up with a spikey mess.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Yes, be careful of the spiky mess. Unless you are planning to sand I would make sure that your needle felting is very smooth a tight. Trim of any flyaways of bumps, anything you put on that is shiny will make them very noticeable.

I like mine dull, so I use Modge Podge Mat, but for shiny you can use the gloss. What I do is wet the nose first, I tap water into the felt, then I dilute the Modge Podge with water about 50/50 for the first coat and I tap it down into the felt. What that does is make it all become one with the felt, it is not just laying on the top. I do this several times, letting it dry in between. I do sand in between but you do not have to.

Someone told me once that had Modge Podge go white on a nose when used full strength in the humidity, so I do not use it straight. It has never happened to me. There are other sealers too, PVA glue can be used, but it is a little different than Modge Podge, Modge Podge is glue with a sealant in it.

I would be very careful with nail polish, it will just lay on the top and the underneath will still stay soft. When I make a nose the way I do, it is not hard, it actually feels like an animal nose, it is very firm with give.

Here is a Modge Podge nose that has been sanded and painted. To make it shiny I would finish it with a coat of acrylic gloss.

1391701663_kermode_009.jpg

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

Thanks so much Joanne!

That nose is amazing!  It looks soooooo real!  I do have the mat finish Modge Podge at home so I will try that first and neddle felt a harder nose.

I love TT and that everyone is willing to share their techniques and success!  The weekend should be interesting!

Thanks again!

BooBoo Posts: 153

Mo Beary, did you experiment over the weekend???

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

Hi Boo Boo!  I didn't get a chance this weekend had the grands kids and a very sick little dog all weekend!

I'm going to have to do some more felting to get the nose tighter before I try.  I picked up some Modge Podge today at Micheals so hopefully I will give it a go in the next week or so.

I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Sorry to hear the little fuzz bucket was ill bear_sad . I know how taxing that can be. Hugs! bear_wub  bear_wub

Lisa

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

I've tried a few techniques and I've not liked one of them. Very frustrated. I'm not sure if I should have put more coats of modge podge on.

Joanne if you're out there can you jet me know how many coats of modge podge you suggest using. I think I put 3 coats which I'm thinking maybe isn't enough.

I also tried clear nail polish which I wasn't happy with either. UGH

Zhennijen Jennifer Wang Bears
Adelaide, South Australia
Website

Wow, Joanne, thanks for the amazing tips!

I've just started experimenting with undiluted gloss mod podge and I'm not happy with the outcome. Yup, it brings out the bumps, and little spiky bits are all poking through even after sanding. For my next bear, I'm definitely watering it down first (and needle felting until the nose is much stiffer!).

Below is my experimental bear using the undiluted gloss mod podge. It doesn't look too bad from far away, but up close you can definitely see the bumps and fuzz. She's still cute though, and not too bad for my very first bear (keep in mind, she's a tiny little thing) bear_happy

1397563153_dscn0507_-_copy.jpg 1397563184_dscn0508_-_copy.jpg

Zhennijen, your bear is adorable!! bear_wub

Zhennijen Jennifer Wang Bears
Adelaide, South Australia
Website

Nawww, thanks  bear_happy  That means a lot to me  bear_flower

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I am sorry it took me so long to get back here.

Mo, I must use 7 or 8 coats. It is the sanding in between that I think is important to not see the bumps. You need to get rid of them to not see them. I don't sand the first couple of coats. I start sanding when it is stiff enough that I can sand. As you sand you can see the unevenness, The next coats help to even that all up. Remember just like painting a room, that glossy shows imperfections more that flat. You may want to try a satin finish for just a little sheen.

Jennifer, your bear is very sweet.

Board footer