Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

I feel like I spend a ridiculous amount of time thinking about necks... (I'm making another cat and want to be able to give him a little collar.) But it got me wondering about what people's thoughts are on the various neck techniques and which they prefer to do?

Personally, I do love the tilt that a wobble-joint gives but sometimes worry about it being too wobbly (I've only used the two cotter-pin method so far). The double-joint necks (with the extra wedge piece inbetween) are fascinating but wouldn't work for cats with white chin/throats/bellies. The loc-line ones look great! But not sure I'm at that level yet.

Anyway, what are everyone's preferences for their own bears? Are there particular pros and cons you've found? Would love to hear different artists' opinions!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Since the very first time I put the lockline type armature in the neck, and got rid of the neck joint I never went back. Makes them so easy and fun to pose. It is much easier than a double neck joint too.

Erin Seals Stonesthrow Critters
Magnolia, AR

Since I make small animals, and haven't made very many, I have only been able to justify small amounts of LocLine, which means I can't get it very small. I use wire and love it! I usually get it in the floral section

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I pretty much always use cotter pin joints in the neck. I like that they are posable and can tilt slightly...but occasionally I use locline too...though it is fun to pose up and down and tilts very nicely I sometimes prefer fact that with a cotter pin joint you can swivel the head ...so I spend lots of time thinking of ways to do both....but I haven't thought hard enough yet!

Bloomsburg, PA
Erin Seals wrote:

Since I make small animals, and haven't made very many, I have only been able to justify small amounts of LocLine, which means I can't get it very small. I use wire and love it! I usually get it in the floral section

You can buy the smallest stuff from CR's Crafts by the foot Erin.

Bloomsburg, PA
jenny wrote:

I pretty much always use cotter pin joints in the neck. I like that they are posable and can tilt slightly...but occasionally I use locline too...though it is fun to pose up and down and tilts very nicely I sometimes prefer fact that with a cotter pin joint you can swivel the head ...so I spend lots of time thinking of ways to do both....but I haven't thought hard enough yet!

I am still trying to figure that out too Jenny.

Erin Seals Stonesthrow Critters
Magnolia, AR
jenny wrote:

I thought I saw a tutorial on combining disk joints and LocLine! Have you checked in the library? I may have seen it on a different site, I'll keep my eyes out!

Board footer