Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Id love to start a new topic/ bear type / index ?  here for chrochet bears and critters....

Anyone here creating the little mini bears ...well, say any small size ?
I just started recently making these out of various sizes of threads...it is addicting.

It would be fun to get some feed back on what kind of thread/ yarn you have tried, joints used and eye sizes...plus a little file for photos of our creations .

Another item we could add is clothes, hats, etc.... What do you bear artists and advisers think about this ?.....Winney

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

there was some talk earlier about this but nothing came of it. I like to occasionally make crochet bears as well and wouldn't mind a separate index for that category. Of course you know that Debi of Teds from Threads is a member and her site has a very good supply of all the ingredients needed for crochet critters.

Marion

White City, Oregon

Hi Marion...I play on the site TedThreads, they do share tips but mostly they share photos.

They did have a challange, someone made up a pattern put it into the files then each person revised it and posted their directions...altho I found it hard to follow...

There are so many different yarns that can be used and now with the felting you can poke in many different fibers...here the design possibilities are becoming much more complex than just a " chrochet bear"...like any art, it seem to evolved when new and unusual materials are experimented with..Winney

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Marion... O, you beat me to the punch on that one... I was just going to say that Debi has the most wonderful and interesting threads!!!!! With crochet and knitting becoming so much more popular in recent years, it's often no so hard to find gorgeous larger yarns in the craft department of Wal Mart, JoAnn Fabrics, etc.... there are even a lot of specialty yarn shops, at least in my area.... but if you want some gorgeous mini type threads, Debi sure has a bunch of 'em.  And just like Stephanie... she has fabulous customer service as well!   bear_flower  I know that Debi has a beautiful banner ad in the newer section for design work, supplies and such... but if you don't want to hop around too much here's her link:

http://www.tedsfromthreads.com

I bought some gorgeously soft, brushable acrylic punch thread for crocheting mini items to go with my bears... I've only found time to make one thing so far, a scarf for wee Ella....

119518520.jpg

But I hope to do more!  If you don't know what punch thread is... it's almost like a mini baby yarn.  Lots of folks make gorgeous whole bears out of this thread as well! 

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Hudson, Ohio

Hmmm... I just clicked on Debi's banner ad... sometimes it's right there in the bottom right of the screen, on rotation with Shelli and a few others.... that worked just fine for me too....

Oh.... as many of you know, I started out with making bears from thread.... wanna hear something funny.... the very first bear I ever made, and I mean the FIRST.... I've shown you all pics of my first mohair bear, my first mini.... but my first bear ever... is in the February 2004 issue of Teddy Bear & Friends.  I don't have a pic that I can find on my computer, but those of you who save old TB&F issues should have a peek if it's handy!  I made this tiny little bee bear... he's fairly atrocious!   I had bought the TB&F that had Berta Hesen Mentin's lovely crocheted bears in it, and thought... oh, I can do this!  In that issue they had asked for photos of other crochted bears for an upcomming issue... so I sat down and churned that little guy out, took a photo with my camera, and the rest is history!  I STILL can't believe that they printed that pic!   

Saturday morning ...
OH my gosh.. looking for a pic of another thread bear of mine... I went in to my thread bears folder on my picturetrail account... lo and behold... he's there.....
28817385.jpg
Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I make crochet (and knit) bears. You can find my latest design Kameko in Japanese style in the Showcase forum. There are some great Yahoo groups on this topic. My favourite thread is punch thread, because it doesn't slip off the hook as easily as perle cotton and it can be brushed.
I believe Sandi prefers angora. Its really a matter of taste.

I'm not sure we need a separate forum, but would be happy to discuss the subject.

Bedtime for me, talk more tomorrow.

White City, Oregon

Punch thread ?...I have not tried that...yet

Oh that white bear is so adorable...He wants to come home with me...what a face ...

Ill try Debs site ....see what she has,, Oh yes,,, Sabine , you say there are some great groups on this ?.....where ? Only one I know about is Thread Teds...Need to go see your bear now....Komeko

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hi guys.....having made some crocheted bears and gollies I have to say I understand Winneys desire to have a forum of her own.  Winney you gota try a golly-they are so fun....

ok  but you know we are getting pretty big here at TeddyTalk.  Would you guys think that maybe we could combine Mini bears and string bears?  I have been missing the for sale forum just because of how big we are getting....and I think it is great how well TT is doing and its all because of you guys.

Winny one of the things I do is separate baby yarn and use that for crocheted bears.....it works  I am so glad you are doing this.....maybe yu can post pictures when you get done?

Anyway....just wonderesd if we could compromise here.....hate to ask Quy for more after all he has done for us....and we aren't even a whole year old yet!!!!  Woooohooooo!!! Go TeddyTalkers!

hugs

dilu

Kim Bastaaaaaaa  what a darling little bearrrrrrr  I love your work!

dilu

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Erin -  me too! I have this golly pattern in my head, but so far, more urgent things have kept me from doing it.
Berta Hesen-Minten has a book on crochet bears, which includes a golly pattern. I haven't made it yet, but it looks cute.

I am a member of these yahoo groups:
Lovejapanesebearies
Threadanimals
Thranimals

There are lots of people on all levels of experience who make mini bears by crocheting, needle felting and sewing.

I don't mean to draw anyone awya from TT though!!! Stay here and if you don't have time to join these groups we can discuss everything here. I agree with Dilu, we can keep it in the miniature forum as most crochet critters are quite small.

Punch thread is fuzzy acrylic, used for punch embroidery. Deb McCarthy of TedsfromThreads.com sells it in lots of colours and she is a peach to deal with. Other threads can be found at Threadteds.com (Berta's site). Both ladies have very nice patterns too. A Canadian site is Mignonette stitch http://www.mignonettestitch.com/threadbearssupplies.htm by Chantal Giroux. She sells punch thread as well.
Lots of patterns can be bought from Edith Molina at http://www.angelfire.com/stars6/threadcrochetbears/ and she sells on ebay.

I have more links to artist websites. Keep asking me if you want more. I am just in love with these tiny creations. They are sooo much fun to make and once you get the hang of it there is no limit to your creativity.

Happy crocheting

Hudson, Ohio

I'd love to see some pictures of other thread bears and animals... gollies too!   Here's one of mine from a couple years ago...

32340275.jpg

Let's see some more!!!!! Who's game?
Trying to remember here... I do believe that the dark brown parts are made of Flora (an imported crochet cotton..  size 30... her "sweater" is punch thread, and the trim is tatting cotton... probably a size 80.... String jointed.

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Timmy.jpgmatssmall.jpgflorian.jpgOk Kim, here it comes. Some crochet bears I made. Yours are adorable btw.
Florian is made from Berta's magic thread (unsplit) and my largest chrochet bear so far at about 6 inches. He is a combination of two of Berta's patterns.

Mats is made from Deb McCarthy's pattern in punch thread and my halloween roly poly is my own design.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

LinFang.jpgRusty.jpgRosie.jpgNelly.jpgI'm on a roll. Here's Nelly from Berta's pattern (punch thread and pearl cotton). Rosie also from Berta's pattern with my own knitted sweater. Rusty again from Berta's pattern book and in punch thread. Lin Fang the realistic panda from Berta's in pearl/perle cotton. All somewhere between 2 and 3 inches.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sabine, how cute!
You have a real talent for these guys, I can't wait to see more!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Sabine - really, really cute little guys!!  What talent you have!

WOW!!!!!  What a treat I just had.....you guys are fantabulous!

Tooo wonderful!!!!!  I love you guys....it is so much fun to see the little guys you have made

ERIN go for it.....make a little golly, I have crocheted and needlefelted and they are so much fun.  If I can be of any help let me know....

Sabine:  good renditions- they are adorable.  I got Berta's book several months ago and just love it.

Kim Basta:  Your crocheted guy is just as cute as your Sassy's  bears

Winney:  I can hardly wait to see some your your little ones.  I find that when my head and body don't have the energy for big stuff the needlefelting and/or crocheting help me immensly 

I agree we can incorporate crocheting and needlefelting.....why not?  We have so many tips to share.

I made a dilu adaptation of Berta's golly.....there were things I wanted to change.  She came out pretty cutely....I am looking forward to trying again.

hugs to all of you

dilu

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

016.jpgJust catching up around here, and all these little thread guys are making me want to dig out my crochet hook again! They are all cute and huggable!

I've only made one crocheted bear - my first and last - he's lucky he didn't end up in the bin, he gave me sooooo much trouble. And he was on the big side for a mini so goodness only knows how you clever ladies make the teeny ones....I in awe  bear_wub Anyway, here's my one-and-only; Barnet, a bear with hair  bear_laugh . Don't ask me for details, they were instantly forgotten... :whistle:

Actually, he was adopted on eBay by a very nice lady in Canada who obviously enjoys 'quirky' bears... bear_happy

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I just love to see the bears!!

I couldn't make one to save my life, but you ladies do such great work!

Helena, love that bear. The hair-do does it for me!!

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Helena, gorgeous bear. Looks like you are a pro with crochet bears. Can't believe it was your first and only. I'm not even gonna show my first ones  bear_grin Love the idea with the hair. You should make more.

Yayyyyyy Helena!!!   Adorable....He'sa giant in personality !

dilu

White City, Oregon

All of you  make just adorable bears...I love the bee !!!!!!! and the Magic thread looks just like I want to try ...must order to get it.

PICTURES ??? I have become so addicted to these little bears recently I must have at least 10 of them crochet so far but...none put together so far. just trying out diffrent yarns..and hooks..I can't seem to stop.HELP. please somebody stop me ~! LOL...

I guess there is some interest in the group for these little charmers..The main thing that is different is the fur...its thread.... but sometimes also mixed with felting, who know what else...I may decide to try press moulding, felting and fur and thread, clay all within the same critter...the celing in art has  NO limit !  I like the way Kim  has used various threads to make her bear, he is precious....The bear with hair is simply precious too.....Now Dilu...don't get me started on Gollies...He, He...you know where that would go......CRAZY !!!...........Winney

White City, Oregon

Hmmm, I was just wondering, I have seen colored stuffings for bears somewhere..can't remember where? Anyone know ?...

But...I read that many thread bear makers use a firm fiber to stuff with....like cotton. I am also supposing that you could actually dye this stuff quite easily...I am going to try it because sometimes you can see thru the bears little crochet holes....I have learned to use one size smaller hook than what you would usually use to make these holes smaller...

I could not find where to create a new post to minatures ...so I  used this one for my question on stuffing....Quy can move it if ya want ta..... Winney

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I've never made a crochet bear before, but I did wonder about the stuffing showing.

Maybe someone will know a little better than me. Seems like alot of work to die the stuffing.

Winney

Deb has it at her site  :

http://tedsfromthreads.com/frames.htm

it is less than $3.00 for 3 oz.....which on little guys like this is enough for a ton of them....I picked up 2 colors and am really happy I did.

She has some other interesting things at her site too

dilu

White City, Oregon

woopie...thanks Dilu.... Winney

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Your crochet bears are awesome!  bear_thumb   You gals make me jealous with all your talents! I can barely crochet a scarf!  TOO CUTE... I feel like a novice! HA

Board footer