Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

As we move into the hottest months of the year, I am curious if any of the experienced fur bear artists hold off on shipping their bears out in summer heat?  If the bear is in a priority box for perhaps four days at most (we'll say NY to California over a weekend), is that asking too much of real fur or is there a risk of damage?  Or what about shipping it overseas, which could take several weeks?  Maybe this is not so much of an issue as I am thinking, but I wanted to check and make sure.

Thanks in advance,
Kelly

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Well, my feeling is that it's okay . . . with reservations.  My bears have waxed noses and if the heat is intense - well, I hate to think ......... bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked.  I always mail everything priority, so that it takes the least amount of time possible (and still be able to afford the postage).  So far, I haven't had any complaints about noses melting or that fur was damaged, but someone else may have had a different experience.  Good question, Kelly!  By the way, your avatar is really gorgeous!! bear_laugh

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hi Kelly..That's a good point about the wax nose. I don't believe shipping a real fur bear differs much from a mohair one. If you are really concerned then ship the fastest way .... Winney

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Hello Kelly,

I do not think shipping in the summer will damage the fur.   I have shipped a few and have had no complaints.  However, I have found that for international shipping, Global Priority through the Post Office is the best.  It is faster and cheaper.  So far I have had no problems with it.  I shipped a bear from Ohio on a Monday going to England and she had it by Saturday.    I think there is a weight limit on the package but a bear most likely will not exceed it.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Kelly,
I have been making and shipping real fur bears for 6 years and have never heard of any problems with the heat form shipping.  I believe it takes a while for the insides of a box to really heat up.   Good quality fur is pretty durable.   Also, as mentioned above I would ship one of the faster routes, like priority mail....most buyers like to get thier bears faster anyway.:)

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Thanks to everybody for their input!  Glad to see I was just being overprotective, sounds like this is not something to worry about.  I appreciate being able to 'ask the experts' rather than just worry about it, as I otherwise would have done.  Well, this being the case, I have some little fur bears that need their pictures taken...

Cheers,
Kelly

Board footer