Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Deb Upstate New York

Anyone use these things at Edinburg Imports for patterns?  Sounds like you just trace your final patter on and cut out and WHALLLA ...

Plastic Template Sheet
#PTEMPLATE
14" x 20" template sheet.

Are they thick?  Hold up as  well as laminated cardstock?

http://www.edinburghimports.com/shoppin … 92364=S016

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Yes, I use or I should say "used" them.  They work great and I like them, however, I'm having terrible contrast problems and can't see them very well to cut the patterns out after I've drawn on them AND even with taking a big ol' marker and tracing around the edges to make them stand out I can't see them very well on darker backed fabric.   So...........I'm going to try making my patterns out of colored card stock and them lamenating them.  I figured if I got a lamenating machine I could also do my hangtags.

Shantell

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I use clear plastic.  I find it lasts forever doesn't bend at all.  i have used templastic or quilters template and found it to be excellent but I found a cheaper source in usiing the roll up cutting boards.  It is the same thickness and is clear so you can see through it which I like on real fur.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Great tip Bronwen! Where's the best place to get the roll up boards and what sort of price are they??

Deb Upstate New York

Bronwen ~

Like these, or similar?  http://www.ezquilt.com/products/plastic … icroll.htm

LL ~

If you find this thread ... is this similar to what you use for basting?  Staples come out easily? http://www.ezquilt.com/products/basting/bastegun.htm

Ripley, Queensland

Sorry guys,  I was away most of yesterday and didn't see your questions  :redface:

Well the stuff I get from the quilters shop isn't very soft you can roll it but it doesn't roll up tightly, the plastic in the picture looks far more flexible then the stuff  use.  I buy it in flat sections just a rectangle of plastic basically.

With the roll up cutting boards I just bought them from the $2 type shops and yes that is about all they cost.  You get 2 to a pack and they are bigger then the sheets of template plastic that costs about $3.95 and up.

I think you can also get those type of cutting boards from alot of department stores in the camping section.

Deb Upstate New York

No problem ...

I sometimes forget to scroll all the way down on the index page to the various topics for new posts.

Thanks for the info.  I may check the Dollar Store!

bear_grin

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Deb,

I just remember what those plastic templates remind me of...overhead transparencies used in a classroom or a board presentation.  They are about the same thickness or flexibility.

Been racking my head trying to figure it out...DUH!!!

Ripley, Queensland

Those would be way too thin, this stuff is firm a little thicker then cardboard. Lasts forever.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Deb!

For stapling I use an actual stapler... from the office supply store  bear_grin 

Here's the stapler I use.... I like this one as I could see where I was placing my staple better.

S7029950A-7526.jpg

Here's the website:  http://www.acco.com/swingline/productde … =S7029950A

I use the staple remover from Edinburgh:  http://www.edinburghimports.com/shoppin … 38=0130020  (in the Sewing Notions catagory)  I found that the office supply store carried a similar staple remover but this one was a little more comfortable to hold.

I used to use the template material that Edinburgh carries.... but I got it at my local sewing shop as quilters template material.  Now, however, I draw them out on card stock (in the scrap booking section) and then "laminate" it with clear shelf paper.  This way I can scan it in on the computer, make changes and just print it out on the computer!

Donna A Brandon Bears
Fort Worth Texas

Hi All,
I'm new to teddy talk, going thru the posts I noticed this one about pattern templates and wanted to share.
Go to your local hospital. OR ask a friend who works at a hospital. Most X-Ray departments have old X-rays they discard. Most hospitals will glady give them to you  FREE.
Yes, they have 'pictures' on them that are usually a dark grey.  To remove the 'silvering' you will need  a large cookie sheet that has sides and some bleach. Do this next step outside. Pour bleach in the cookie sheet about 1/4 in deep. Use a sponge or paper towel and wipe off the 'picture'. No scrubbing and takes just a few swipes.  My X-Rays turn out a pretty crystal clear blue color.

Donna A.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

How cool is THAT tip?  Thanks, Donna!

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

I will have to look into that!  Sounds great for patterns!  Currently am just using laminated cardstock, and it's a pain to laminate it all!

Amelia

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I use the quilter's templates.  I've used the Dritz sheets from Joann's (I like the thicker ones)  and from Walmart, the EZ Quilting Extra Thick Template Plastic.  They come in a package of 5 and are just the right thickness.  They're frosted but you can see through them, just put your pattern under them and trace with a Sharpie.  Works great for me.  Also, because they are frosted, they don't slip around on the fabric so much.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I LOVE THE eDINBURGH  template plastic.  I buy it in the 50 sheet packs from E.

It is very very durable yet easy to cut with simple scissors,

The stuff quilters ten to buy, from Walmart etc. is more brittle and harder to cut.

Ease in cutting is important, because we tend to have a lot of curves etc.  At least that is just this crazyladies thoughts

I use it for all my patterns...A little goes a long way if you do mini bears or gollies.  You can use a lot up for the bigger kritters, though.

gollyhugs'

dilu

Board footer