Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Everybody.  I'm assuming most of us posters are bearmakers.  I think we need to do what we can to lure collectors to our board, also.  I think, besides buying our bears (thank goodness!!), collectors can give us ideas, suggestions, and just "talk" in general that can be of real value to us as artists.  We need to stay on top of what the trend is, what the important things are that a collector looks for in a bear, and what they think will happen to bear collecting in the future.  All of this really interests me and I would be very excited if we could get a few collectors on here to give us their perspective.  So . . . one of the things I am going to do in the next few days is contact some of my buyers - by postcard or e-mail - and let them know that Intercal is hosting Teddy Talk AND has bears for sale!! bear_laugh  Maybe if several of us do this, we could entice some collectors to join us on this forum.  Sound good to you all?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Absolutely, and the next time I send out a note to my mailing list I plan to do the very same thing.  Namely, to let them know there's a new place to browse/talk about bears, and that I'm volunteering here as a help advisor just in case they're trying their hand at making these little furry critters, in addition to collecting them (which, in my experience, is actually quite often the case.)  Most people seem to start as collectors and then get "bitten" by the creating bug themselves.  Or so I've been told!

Great idea, Sue Ann... thanks for bringing it up on the board.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Wonderful idea....I think there will always be collectors because... new collectors are being born everyday. It's just me that gets older, LOL.... so I become an old bear maker.
New trends. Yes I have just recently " caught on" that there has been a new trend going on...those big headed bears that look like caratures, they are like the Japanese " poor kitty "  cartoon figure. OK...so I just got one of my ted magazines that featured this kind on bear art.Maybe even some of us make these kind of bears ? Oh and the recent needle felted bear is another kind.

I have been making bears since 1979 so I have noticed the  genealogy in bear trends...
antique, country,folk bears,  floppy, realistic, polars, the sculpted nose, shaded faces,  tea dyed, batike, hand dyed,  rainbow,  distressed,diffrent bear pads, armatures, pandas, colored or hand painted eyes, real fur bears, other fabric memory bears , bunnies and elephants, needle felted , on and on. I have ted magazines that go way back...if I looked thru them I could probably get the trend genealogy in order. Whew !

I am sure bear artists will always be coming up with something new, just when we think that everthing has already been done.... a new kind of bear  appears and we marvel...Oh, I love it ! now, why didn't I think of that ?

I believe this is some of what drives the collectors search; quality, creativeness..and that something else that sets the work apart from the usual....uniqueness. If you do what you love, follow your own star , no one elses work is quite like your own , you can develope your own uniqueness because it's already in you....Winney

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks, Guys . . . Yep, I've been making bears only since 1997, but I've seen a LOT of trends come into our business.  One can only guess at predicting what is going to come in the future.  I just totally marvel at the creativity and imagination that is displayed at bear shows!!  Human ingenuity is awesome!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

To add my two cents...I have been making bears since Jan 1999, but have been an artist as far back as I can remember.  Drawing , painting, airbrushing....etc  Even in the past few years I have seen a change in bears.  The creativity has skyrocketed!...and like Winney said...just when you think you have seen it all..........

Creating bears is like breathing for me...and I bet it is for many of you too.  Geesh...I need to get off this computer and get to work...plus my daughter has a dance recital today.

HUGS everyone! Judi

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Winney, I love those big headed bears too!  I just bought a bear from Art Rogers with a large head and HUGE eyes!  He is darling.  I don't buy many......just one here and there;) every now and then.....:P

White City, Oregon

Oh,,,I'd love to see him Judi.....I am getting slowly attached to those quirky little bears.... Winney

White City, Oregon

Oh,,,I'd love to see him Judi.....I am getting slowly attached to those quirky little bears.... Winney

Yes...and Judi, quit putting up this CUTE CUTE CUTE bears for you avatar...now, I WANT THAT ONE TOO !!! Oh, am I shouting ? Sorry, can't control myself, he's to die for, what a face ! He wants me, does that help ?....Winney

Board footer