Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Robin Fourcrows Art and Photography
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Website

Hi everyone!  You really have no idea how happy I am to find this site...it's full of so much information!  YAY!

Ok, I just ordered my "starter kit" as well as a ton of roving to begin learning felting...I'm not sure the kit comes with any directions, but maybe that's for the better...I'm the kind of person that likes to experiment a bit to find my pace...if that makes sense...I'm so excited!  I fell in love with the pieces I've seen lately, and just have to learn...

anyway, I have one, probably silly question, but it's something I'd love to do...

I have a big and floppy long haired dog, who has the most beautiful gray, white and black dappled coat.  I find enough hair to make blankets, and up until now, have just thrown away...but I'd like to incorporate it into my felting.  Is this possible, or just something you don't do?

I hope I can find a way to fit into your wonderful little group here, you all seem so amazingly creative and talented, I'm in awe!

Have a great day!
Robin

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Welcome Robin. I can't wait to see what you make. Carefull, needle felting is very addictive!

As for felting your dogs hair. You can absolutly felt the hair. I've been know to use my own dogs fur plenty. ( I have a furry pom )
You can use whatever falls, or the best stuff to use is what comes out of the brush. Felts up nicely, and it's free!

Good luck, don't forget pics when you are done!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Website

Hi Erin and Heather, thanks so much for the welcome!

Now I'm really excited!   I'm kind of an addicted creative type as it is...I just keep trying new things, one always seems to lead into the next...

I absolutely promise to post pictures...when I finally get going.  I ordered from Joann fabrics, Sunday, then found tons of other sources, but its a start.  I actually thought I could just go out to our local hobby stores and find everything I needed...

Why doens't anyone carry this type of thing?

Ok, I'm reading through the archives...then I will sit down with my dogs and start brushing...LOL I don't think I've ever been so happy that shedding season is almost upon us! 

:dance:  I'm really pathetically excited...

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Welcome Robin, Glad to have on board.  This is a fun place with lots a great people and advice.  There is never  dumbe question. 

Like Heather said, you sure can flet you dogs hair.  I would recommend using the softer undercoat fur.

Neysa, who is also another help advisor on this board carries lots of needle felting supplies.  You can find her link at the top of the needle felting page.

I look forward to seeing your creations.

:hug:

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Robin,
Welcome!!! Glad to see another needle felting addict is in the making...lol not to mention how happy your dogs must be...since they will be getting extra special attention.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Big welcome to Teddy Talk, Robin . . . hope you have fun with us!  Can't wait to see your doggy fur creations!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Welcome to TT .... and yes looking forward to seeing your creations

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Welcome welcome welcome!

Hi Ya Robin!  Sure you can incorporate anything you want into your needlefelting.  Does anyone remember the needle felted dryer lint mouse or fairly or ?  The dryer sheet was the wings?  If anyone remembers who did it I'll look up the post, so that Robin can see it...

It is amazing what can be felted onto-into.....I think the limity is your imagination.  Doesn't sound like too much of a drawback.   bear_grin

Pictures.....dont forget pictures!

:hug:

dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Think it was Lisa Thoms, Dilu.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

WELCOME TO TEDDY TALK!!! I haven't tried to felt my poms' fur yet but it is in the works... there is plenty that I find on a regular basis rolling in tumbleweeds across my livingroom... maybe I will save it up bear_original

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Welcome
bear_original Lynette

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Website

You all are so sweet...thank you for the welcome...

I've already brushed a whole gallon size baggy of dog hair...and I actually found a bunch of wool I didn't even realize I had, from my "I'm going to make those teeeny tiny polymer dolls" days...I realized pretty quickly I'm not the teeeeny tiny polymer doll type...but I had lots of pretty hair! :redface:

Kim-Bee!  I thought I was the only one in the world that referred to those tiny dogs running around under the beds and floating around on the tile as tumbleweeds...it's nice to see a kindred spirit!   bear_grin

I hadn't even thought of dryer lint...LOL...How cool!  I made paper out of the stuff a few times...but I like the felting idea much better...   

Did I say I'm kind of an art junky?  sigh...  I love the adventure of it all!

Thank you all again for the wonderful welcome...My order is still "being processed" at joanns...I knew they were slow when I ordered...but it's driving me crazy!

Have a great day everyone!   bear_flower

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Gidday Robin Welcome to TT. I'm sorry to hear that you are about to embark on this needle felting craze. Watch those fingers!!! :twisted:
Personaly I find needle felting mind numbingly boring. It is so tedious I literally nod off while felting.  bear_grin

but I wont let that stop me. hahahahahahah :twisted: IT'S ADDICTIVE aaarrrggghhhh!!!! :twisted:
There's no escape.!!!!!!!! :twisted: aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Matilda

Board footer