Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Robin Fourcrows Art and Photography
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Website

Hi again...I'm still not so patiently awaiting my felting supplies... bear_cry

I thought I would have a go at dying some of the white wool I have here now...has anyone tried silk dye?  Since felted pieces wouldn't be apt to be washed, I thought it might work...I did  a search on it, and no one seems to have tried it and talked about it...so I thought I would ask.

If not, maybe I'll try it and let you know how it goes...if anyone's interested...

bear_grin  Robin

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Robin, I am a big believer in experimenting.  I am certainly interested. bear_original  Why don't yo give it  try and let us know how it works for you.

I have used RIT dye to dye wool with great results.  I have also used tea bags when I wanted just a touch of color darker than white.  That too worked.

I look forward to your results.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Dharma trading post has dyes specific for silk....but all the wool i have played with loves just about any carbon based  (organic type/food grade type) dye.  I'm with Miss Judi.....get rid of the family and have a wild time in the kitchen-playplayplay

dilu

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Website

Hi Guys...I've had a harder time trying to upload to my site than doing the dying... ugh...I finally just did photobucket...

anyway...Ok

This is done with Jacquard dyes...which...and a big DUH here...says right on the label, for silk and wool.  I soaked the wool in boiling water, let it drain slightly, then put it in a baggy with about 5 drops of the apricot dye.  (I have a lot of the colors if any one wants me to try something specific)  I didn't want anything neon, so I used the water and very little dye.  I'm thinking of trying some blue next...

hope this helps someone.   bear_grin   I have the before...which is kind of a stone color...and the darker is obviously after...

apricotsilkdye.jpg

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Website

That was on a scanner, by the way, so it's squished.  My camera is in Boston with my DH...sorry about that.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Honey, you don't have to have your pics hosted on the webt to upload here....you can upload directly from your photo shop type program....

Maybe i musunderstood,you post, but it sounded like you were trying to get your photos hosted, before posting them here.....Quy, our wonderful Wizard for all-things-computer, made it so much easier for us!
Now, i like the colors you came up with I thinm, you look really pretty cool ...tell me what the texture is like on your rovings after soaking in boirling water...I haven't tried it yet, I've been a little afraid to.  So what does it feel like, can you still needlefelt it?  is it just a little smaller?

Tell tell

hugs

dilu

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Website

Hi dilu (Diane?) ...sadly, I have no idea if it will felt, because my needles still aren't here.    bear_angry    I thought for sure they'd be here by Saturday...never order from Joanns...

That said, I don't know why it wouldn't felt. It's a bit like dreadlocks if you've ever felt them...(I know, that's a stretch...but I used to hang with all sorts of alternative crowds...lol) 

I used the hot water because I thought it would help open up the fiber...it may not be necessary.  I'm do a mini experiment with that today. 

If my needles get here today, I'll get right on it and let you know if it works.

Also, I used a piece that was pretty nappy to start with.  I'll do just straight roving and add the water, and dye, and scan that for you ...  I hadn't even thought of that. 

I love to experiment.  Last night, I used oil pastel crayons on an inexpensive piece of synthetic fur, the result was so fabulous....it was white and looked like it had been tipped pink...

ok, so off to do some more dying then...have a great day!   bear_flower

Robin

Board footer