Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pages:
Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Can anyone give me some advice on making bear/critter tongues that don't look too fat?  bear_sad

I'm using a fine leather, but I've had the same problem with ultrasuede--the seams at the sides make the tongue too beefy for a small bear.

Does anyone do one-piece tongues? OR is there another way to seam the thing?

Thanks, Oh Wise Ones  :hug:

Eileen

Bev College Place, WA

Try trimming the seam, like you would on a collar. I use ultasuede and a very small seam allowance, and when its trimmed the seams are mitered. Hard to explain but you end up with each edge a different width.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Where did I read you can use the sculpy glaze over ultra-suede? Someone here said that.. just thinking of who.

Anyway, I imagine this would work great on a 1 piece tonge. But then again, I've yet to make one so.................

Good luck! Show us when you're done!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  bear_laugh Erin--It's a question of where to put the 'u'--now I'm wondering if I got it right  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Bev--I've been clipping and mitering my seams, but they're still too bouncy. I guess if I left the tongue under a stack of bricks overnight? . . .

Heather--the Sculpy coat sounds intriguing. Time to go shopping, I guess!

Thanks everyone!  :hug:

Eileen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

bear_tongue   bear_tongue   bear_tongue   bear_tongue   bear_tongue   bear_tongue   bear_tongue   bear_tongue   bear_tongue   bear_tongue   bear_tongue 

Feeling silly and have no advice to give..... sorry!!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Never mind, Daphne--it's the thought that counts!  bear_thumb

Eileen

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Eileen,

I have only made one ultrasuede tongue and it turned out great.  I used the thinner ultrasuede (there are at least two weights of ultrasuede).... I trimmed the seam close and clipped also and stitched down the center starting about 1/16 of inch from the front of the tongue stitching to the back end.

Otherwise, I guess I have no other suggestions.   Good luck!

Hugs,

Wanda

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Ummmm...needle felted tongue???? Just my 2 cents....

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

It was the marvellous Tracy who uses the sculpy liquid finish on her bears tongues.....certainly 'licks' 'em into shape beautifully! bear_tongue

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Hmm. I don't think needlefelting (or at least myneedlefelting) would produce the right effect in this case. By the way, I love your felties and baskets, Charlotte. I'm a basket fanatic!

Wanda, I think you've hit on my problem, which is the leather I'm using. It's too thick. Even after spending the night weighted down with books, it refuses to squash!

I'm wondering if a single layer of felt or ultrasuede treated with Liquid Sculpey might work, but the Domestic Furies are keeping me housebound.

I'm off to scrounge through my stash . . .  :hug:

Thanks, everyone!

Eileen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Jolly01-1.JPGEileen,

I have found that when trying to adda tongue to a smaller bear, a single layer of leather works for me.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original That looks great, Judi!

I'm going to try it this way
Thanks!

Eileen

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

You know what... i just thought I'd clarify something just in case ther might be any confusion.... maybe Tracy can chime in as well...

"Sculpey Liquid" - which often referred to as TLS - Translucent Liquid Sculpyis a product that comes in a plastic squeeze bottle.  It is a liquid polymer clay product that requires baking in a home oven at 275 degrees to set it.  Otherwise it will NEVER dry!  It is wonderfully versitile stuff that can be used in many, many ways....  It CAN be painted onto fabric, but as I said... you HAVE TO bake it for it to dry/cure.  When baked onto fabric, the TLS will penetrate in, and sort of "plasticize" the fabric... adding a bit of thickness and a sort of rubbery feel to it. It cures to a semi translucent matte finish, and can be tinted with paints prior to curing.

"Sculpey Glaze" comes in a little glass bottle.  There are a couple of finishes availbe.  I know there is a gloss finish and a satin finish... i think there used to be a matte one as well.  It is essentially a varnish that is formulated to be able to dry on polymer clay without erroding the surface of the cured clay.  BUT it doesn't have to be used ONLY on polymer clay.... I believe that you could also use it on other surfaces as well.  You DON'T put this stuff in the oven like you do with the TLS... it's an airdrying  varnish. 

Since they are both liquid type products made by Sculpey, sometimes people do get the two confused.... but they function in very different ways...  bear_grin

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Hey, gals!  The sculpey glaze is what I use.  The gloss version.  I had bought it for teeth and gave it a try on the tongue as well.  I really love the results.  Works for me!  The liquid sculpey sounds intriguing as well...I had not heard of that!  I will have to look for it next time I get to Hobby Lobby. 

:hug:
Tracy

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

DSCF0060.JPGIt was you Tracy! I was wondering who suggested the sculpy glaze.
And please, get some liquid polymer clay, you can do some of the most amazing things with it.  Like these wings.......................

Spring Fever Posts: 21

You might try needle felting one. I haven't done one inside a mouth, but I did make a needle felted one that stuck out. Anyway, just an idea. Good luck.
Charise-Spring Fever Bears

Iowa
Website

Heather--Yep, that was me! bear_grin

Those wings are too cool!  Ooh, I can't wait to get some liquid sculpey now!! bear_grin Wasn't planning on making the trip to Hobby Lobby for awhile (it's an hour drive and I always end up buying half the store! bear_tongue ), but I just might have to this weekend.  I've been thinking on making some angel or fairy bears sometime and don't really want to mess with feathers (been there, done that, found it a pain!), and you just totally inspired me!  I wouldn't copy your wings or anything, but the possibilites...... Could probably use it too to make various accessories for bears?   Ideas, ideas, ideas......................

Tracy

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Wondering again . . .

Does Sculpey Glaze leave a hard brittle finish, like varnish? or does the fabric remain flexible?

Eileen

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

ben1.jpgI have made two bears with an open mouth design with tongue and then I just added a single layer of pink felt and shaded it a bit to try to make a bit more realistic, seemed to come out ok.

Good luck and can't wait to see your bear with his new tongue  bear_tongue
Catherine

Iowa
Website

Eileen--How stiff it ends up depends on how thick the glaze is applied.  I put it on pretty thick (it soaks in quite a bit)  and end up with a tongue that is stiffened, but still semi flexible too.  The finish really isn't brittle--I can pinch together the tongue on my last bear and the finish doesn't crack.  It seems more stiff and rubbery at the same time......does that make sense? bear_tongue   Something you might try is to experiment with the glaze on a couple of sample tongues or seperate scraps of ultrasuede. bear_original

Tracy

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Thanks for chiming in Tracy!  Oh... those mouths, teeth and tongue are simply adorable!!! 

Oh... and if your store doesn't carry the TLS, they may carry "Liquid Fimo"..... very similar product, but it cures to a glossy completely clear and transparent finish.  TLS cures a bit more matte and a bit less clear.  I love them both!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Iowa
Website

Thanks Kim!  I have so much fun making the open mouth bears with teeth! bear_grin

I will look for both products on my next shopping trip..........can't wait!   bear_grin  bear_grin

Tracy

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Catherine! That bear is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My favorite bear you've ever made

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Thanks, Tracy!

Your open mouth is amazing. I've got some glass beads--called 'daggers' that I've used for both teeth and claws, but I'd love to try making my own.

Our local Walmart doesn't carry any Sculpey or Fimo products, so I'll have to trek myself downton. We have a chain called Lewiscraft that might have it.

In the meantime, I've decided on a one-layer leather tongue colored red with permanent marker. The leather is about 1/16" thick. I've sewn a very narrow seam down the middle to represent the little 'dip' in the tongue, and it looks very good, even on the reverse side.  :dance:

This is a small tongue, about 3/4" wide. On a larger one, I want to try the needlefelting and glaze.

Thanks for all your help!

Eileen

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Eileen, just a tip. Lewscraft doesn't have much. At leat not any that I've been in. They're pretty expensive etc.
You're best bet would be on-line if you can wait that long. At least call to make sure they have the glaze though, just in case

Pages:

Board footer