Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

lbsl0 Whittier, California

seam-allowance.jpgHi everyone,  jWhat do you do with the seam allowance at the "cap".  (I have illustrated the question as best I could.)

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'd love to help you out but I'm afraid that despite your pretty illustration I'm just not understanding your question, or what you're showcasing here.

Any chance you can add a few more words?

Sorry! bear_sad

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I do mine like your lower picture, with the seams folded  toward the body so the disc fits inside the seams.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I also try to keep my seam allowances folded towards the body so as to not make it too thick where it joins to the head

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Okay, now I feel really stupid. I can read charts and graphs... really I can.

What am I missing here?  Because this still doesn't make any sense to me.

bear_original <shaking head...>

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

The double joint is a wedge piece between the body and the head (or between whatever two pieces you are jointing).  This wedge has discs on both ends.  The wedge has the part on the side that becomes the neck (body) and the end fabrics that cover the discs (cap).  What she is asking is which place do you put the seam allowance of the cap and the body, on top of the disc, or beside the disc. 

I put the seam beside the disc also, so that it doesn't bulk up the joint.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

It's a "cross section" drawing.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Seam towards the body if possible... however, if for some reason it seems happier the other way, then that's what I do.  As long as you are not aiming for the world's tightest joint where you would want everything totally flush and airtight and require a muscleman to turn it, and you don't have a problem with your cotterpin or bolt being a bit too short for the job if there is a little bulk under the disc as a result... I don't think it's too big a deal which way it goes.

Cheers,
Kelly

lbsl0 Whittier, California

Hello, everybody,  I apologize for the confusion with my "diagram", but, my question has been answered and then some!!! To all who answered, whether they understood the question or not, a great big Thanks!!!
Kelly, 
my first "double-jointed neck" ended up like you describe,  the seam allowance doing both, above the disc and beside it.  Since my Shelties have 3" long fur this does not show at all, but I still wanted to know what every one eles was doing with it.  I think on my next one I will try the "no seam allowance" for the cap like Ellen describes. 
Thanks Ellen

Even though I am quite knew to this (or any other) forum,
I know what comes next......

"Pictures, pictures, pictrures, where are the pictures of your Sheltie????"

Which forum should I post them in?,  It is up for auction on Ebay.

Thanks again,
Linda

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I would just make sure that your seam goes either completely one way or completely the other for a joint... if the seam shimmies partially between the body and partially under the disc in the same joint, the uneven distribution might tilt the joint itself.  I think ideally you would try to get all of the seam out from under the discs and towards the body.  But, if for some reason (like size of the disc not allowing for bulky seam allowance tucked in around it) that doesn't work, just tuck everything neatly the other way.  All one way or all the other on the same joint, and I don't think you'll have any problems.

Cheers,
Kelly

Board footer