Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I know how boring holiday snaps are  bear_grin  but I thought you might like to see a little slice of New Zealand.

I've just been up in New Plymouth  - (about 6 hours drive from my home) for our Labour Weekend.  I desparately wanted to take photos of this park while I was there, but it rained the whole weekend.  Today I braved the rain, I couldn't see the screen on my camera so the pictures were a bit hit and miss as I just pointed and snapped. 

Pukekura Park is one of the most beautiful parks in New Zealand.  New Plymouth is on the West coast of New Zealand - which is the more tropical (i.e. rainy!) coast.  Hence they have lots of lovely green bush.  It is so different to where I grew up - the brown, dry Canterbury plains and unfortunately these photos don't do justice to the intense green of the ferns and native trees.  Pukekura has an interesting mix of native and imported trees. 
Last time I was here, was for a Womad music festival along with 10 thousand other people, so it was nice to wander round by ourselves in the drizzle today.

pukekurapark1.jpg
pukekurapark2.jpgpukekurapark3.jpgpukekurapark4.jpgpukekurapark5.jpg

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh how stunning!!!!!!   You lucky girl.  I'm afraid that there wouldn't be too many places in Australia (I know there are a few) with lush greenery like that!  It's so dry here at the moment - is NZ in a drought also?

Danni

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Aaaaaaaaaah! Beautiful!

Thanks for sharing, Melissa!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

How wonderful! I have always wanted to visit New Zealand and you've just shared a real good reason why...it's so beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing with us Melissa.

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Just beautiful Melissa!  Our family has it in mind to move to NZ one day.  we think bear_happy

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

How wonderful Melissa - your photos brought back many happy memories for me.
Thanks for sharing your photos.
We used to go there as children with my parents and walk through the beautiful Pukekura Park and
I just loved the rhoderdandrums and beautiful bush.

We also walked through there, on the way to the Mark Knophler concert and all the park was lit up
with beautiful coloured lights along the path - it was magical.

The weather has been horrible for out Labour Weekend and we saw a few brave people in swimming.
Normally Labour Weekend is the start of the swimming season and everyone ventures to the beaches,
but not this year.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

What a beautiful place.  Thanks for the photos.

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Wow! lush, green.....beautiful spot. Thanks for the pics! It helped to brighten my dreary, rainy, gray day (week) !
pandamac

aerianna aerBears
Sacramento, CA

Spectacular! Thanks for giving us all a quick breather from our busy lives.  bear_flower
Aerianna

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

What spectacular pictures Melissa.  One day I hope to visit down under.   Thanks for sharing a bit of your world.   bear_thumb

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

That is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing those with us!!!  bear_original

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Melissa, that is a gorgeous place!!! Thankyou so much for sending the pictures. Now that our leaves are gone and winter is on it's way, it is nice to see the greenery from your part of the world. New Zealand has always been on my list of places that I would love to visit.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Wonderful pictures, Melissa! New Zealand is just so beautiful - I was totally amazed when we were there three years ago and would love to go back some day. We spent 5 weeks there and it wasn't anywhere near long enough to see it all so this park is one thing we missed, and we only spent 4 days on the south island - I could spend 4 weeks in Christchurch alone!  If I didn't have family here in Canada I would sure love to move to New Zealand!

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

The weather has been horrible for out Labour Weekend and we saw a few brave people in swimming.

Hasn't it been the worst ever? I had planned to spend most of Saturday in the park taking photos, soaking up the sun and enjoying the start of summer.  Ha!  We ended up going to the movies as it was so awful outside.  Was awfully worried about flying back into Wellington airport yesterday - the winds here have been horrendous, but managed to strike a totally calm landing. 

Today it's been storms, winds and slips - the harbour was a disgusting brown colour and right over the road when I came home just now! 

Danni, it is dry down south, but I don't think as bad as other years.  The poor farmers are contending with it all this year, heavy rain, worst snow in years and now the possibility of drought.    The green of Taranaki amazes me too - I grew up in an area where summer means brown barren hills, so not like these photos!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Melissa, my "Bestest friends" live in NZ, they left South Africa about 16 years ago to go and live there. Fred even lent his name to my bears !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I have visited Fred and Francine a few times, although it must be about 6/7 years since I last saw them. With Vicky expecting her first baby early next year, maybe it is time for a vist.

Thank you for sharing.

Lynette

Board footer