Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Hi all...thought I would post a topic I wondered about :D

So how long does it take each of us to complete a bear?  and do you finish in a day or does it take longer?
I take around 10-17 hours depending on the work and I usually work all week in drips and drabs.

Also...do any of you keep your bears? 
I have so many coz I can't part with them bear_sad  Or I will make 2...one to sell one to keep lol  And I take sooo many photos of the ones I sell, especially the OOAK.  I will never see them again bear_sad  even saying goodbye shots lol.  Am I totally pathetic lol

Oh and how about relative bears...oh I have given so many away lol...at least I can still visit them lol
Hugs Sarah

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh I don't really have any rellies to give bears away to... It's so sad I know!!!

It takes me about 14 hours for the normal range of bears, but the antique bears take way longer, I would think about 18 hours ....

I think I must be slow?  Who cares as long as you love making them!

Danni

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Sarah,

I've given away quite a few bears to relatives... especially in my first year of bear making. It was a great way to get feedback and spread the word about my new 'hobby'.

I take loads of pictures now after not taking enough of my most favorite bear which sold quicker than I thought it would.

I've swapped bears with a few artists and the bears send emails and cards to eachother.

I've actually cried when I've sold a couple of 'special-to-me' bears at shows. And I always hug and kiss every bear I sell good-bye.

Oh, I get very emotional and sentimental over them. But then, that's what teddy bears are all about as far as I'm concerned. When you were a kid who was there when you needed a good cry? (OK, I STILL turn to my favorite bear when I need a good cry!!) And who listened to your biggest secrets and never told a soul? How can you not have some sort of emotion when you look into the soulful eyes of a teddy bear?

I have about 20 bears that I've made and become so attached to that I can't sell! I just can't help it! Oh, and for the record, my husband is as much of a sap over teddy bears as I am so we have bears EVERYWHERE!!!

Hugs,
Daphne

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

It takes me about 12 - 14 hours for a bear depending on the size.  I work on them in dribbs and drabbs.  I usually eat my lunch at coffee break and sew bears on my lunch break.  Sad I know but I really enjoy making bears and every spare moment I try to work on them.  I hand sew everything so it takes me a little longer than most.

Jane

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

lol..glad I am not alone lol.  Me too Daphne..big hug and kiss and tell them their new mummy will be nice and they will have lots of new friends to play with lol...do you all think I'm insane yet lol.
Gina, I love that feel as it starts to take shape bear_original  I love the put together not stuffed body and head with no face look..so cute bear_laugh Actually your hubby reminds me of my mum.  She said yesterday why do you make such cute things and then sell them...so sad lol
I probably have around 70 at home...:rolleyes: shhh don't tell lol
hugs sarah

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

It takes me about 4-8 hrs for a small and 10-14 for a larger one and it also depends on the material - mohair takes longer because I have to fray check, real fur takes longer because I have to cut muslin pieces and I fray check my muslin as well.  I had mixed emotions packing up my first, i know that!  I keep telling my hubby that "i want to keep this one" but as I make newer ones, I want to keep those instead.  He pointed this out to me, you will always make another one that you like better.  My first bears have gone to my mom and mother-in-law.  I am ok with sending the bears on their own little journey if I know the people will take care of them and love them bear_laugh 

I never thought of "swapping" bears with another artist... that would be neat!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

DSC00605-2.JPGIt takes me 1-2 months to make 13 gollies.  I do this mass production thing

day one cut 'em out
day two sew all the heads
day three start bodies
by the end of the first week they are sewn an jointed then stuffing begins-

The rest of the time is spent doing their clothing and embroidering mouths and doing eyes.

That's the most fun.

I am selling the gollies- the bears I tend to give away-

I usually have to lecture the gollies before I send them off.  Especially if they are going to a foreign country-I don't want them to be Ugly Americans-

but then with gollies I don't often get what I want.....

I have to finish up Patsy Clinikins (her hat and boots finally got here)

Dilu

PS here is a bad picture of the last batch waiting for stuffing....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, Dilu - Love the picture!!!

Kim - I love the bear swapping idea too but someone once pointed out to me that it's only good if you can afford to do it and not have to sell the bears you make to put food on the table. Good point! But I loooove to add to my bear collection so if I find an artist with a bear I like and they like mine enough to swap then I'm happy!! bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dilu, I love your picture (very efficient; I envy you!)  But at the same time, it absolutely scares the bejeebers out of me. 

Did any of you ever see that old movie with Karen Black, where this little tiki figure, some kind of African or South American or Fijian little carved figure with a dangerous, pointy, spear, came to life, and began stalking her inside the walls of her own home?  I think it was one of those three-stories-in-one movies; I saw it on TV as a little girl and never forgot it.  In the end, our beleaguered Miss Black put the thing in the oven and baked it to death.  Or so she thought, until she opened the oven door, and the fumes spilled out.  After inhaling them, of course, she was transformed into a living version of that sadistic little figure, herself.

Anyway, I blather on about this for two reasons:

(1)  Hey... anybody remember what that movie was called??? bear_laugh; and
(2)  Your little splayed-out, wild-haired, dark and faceless gollies reminded me of it!

bear_laugh:D:D

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I like to get at least a couple of bears done per week, but rarely ever accomplish it.  It takes 12 - 15 hours on the small to medium size and longer on a big one.  There is so much other stuff to be done that I never am able just to sit down and sew all day long . . . which would be a treat!  So bear work is done in spurts, but is still very satisfying anyway!!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I sew in spurts....Hey Shelli ...LOL, I Do remember that movie as it scared me too, just like Syco ( spell?) It was called Trillogy I believe...that wicked litle devil...gave me the creeps..I was trying to think of ways to get rid of him too, thought the micro wave had him...but Nooooo he pops back out.... Winney

ellen ontario, canada

wonderful picture Dilu.
thank you for sharing.
bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Dilu, thos gollys look like they are marching LOL .  I would like to swap bears with someone some day bear_original

lw2ndstar Annapolis, Maryland

Shelli ---  That scary movie was called "Trilogy of Terror".  My little sister loved scary movies on TV and that was her favorite!  She used to run down the hall imitating it's high pitched yell. bear_grin It is available on VSH tape at Amazon, if you want to be creeped out by a Zuni Fetish doll!   

Too scary for me! bear_ermm
Lynne

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Lynne, you're a love, and Winney, I'm glad to hear you know that movie too.  Even from Lynne, even a buy-it-online reference!  And what a great panda avatar you've gone and posted for yourself.  I go away for a few hours and the whole world realigns its poles, apparently...

Thank you! bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Yes..that panda is a really nice one..he looks like he can talk...love it...it looks a bit like Xmas..hate to say it yalll...but its time to get really busy .... and pandas always seem so perfect for Xmas, of course all bears are perfect for...anytime...Winney

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Sarah and everyone !
I am same as Jane, I sew bears on my lunch break too.
I can make only 1 or 2 15inches bear a month.  I think 1 need 20-30hours to make just 1 bear.
I use machine for body,legs,arms and hand sew head , ears and footpads but problem is I am so slow ~ bear_tongue

I have 21bears(out of 85bears I have made...) at home ! I only sold 7bears so far . bear_tongue so where the rest of them go ?
I gave out to my friends and familys bear_original

Dilu, I love your picture ! gollies factory bear_laugh

Hugs/Marie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Yikes! I hate scarry films...I'm just a big baby really. My kids love all the scarry films...I'm brave if I watch kids cartoons with all the monsters in them. Oh boy I've gone and scarred myself now...I want my Mummy!;););)

Jane

Board footer