Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

clare14 Country Bears
England

As of 9am this morning, the famous British Bear makers 'Merrythought' have gone into Liquidation, this link is sad....   bear_sad

http://www.merrythought.co.uk/

ellen ontario, canada

how VERY sad!  thanx for the update.  bear_sad

now, will people think before they shop at Walmart?  noooo
*jumping off my soapbox*

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

What a damn shame Clare.............i have a couple of old Merrythought bears and they are lovely  - i have to admit to not owning a modern Merrythought bear so i guess i am partly responsible for them going out of business. I always meant to buy a new one but just never got around to it.

How sad that another bit of British history has gone down the drain  bear_sad

Sad Now

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Thats how things go. Here in the Potteries a lot of famous ware is now Made in China. Best of it my Auntie who worked for one of the big companies used to deal with the mistakes of the china that came back from China.

I have had many a good day out at Ironbridge and enjoyed the Merrythought opendays. Its very sad.

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi Claire,
Yes , I'm another one that always said i'd get a merrythought and didn't get round to it.
I'm a sucker for artist bears.
Love Kayx.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Oh My.  How sad.  I have several Merrythought Bears and I just love them. bear_cry   What will they do with all there bears?  Auction them?

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

That is sad to hear, I have a few Merrythought Bears and a couple of Gollies..

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Well that is sad news. Too bad to hear of this.

Michelle

NewelleyBears Newelley.Bears
Harrow, Ontario

What a shame that a company that produced such wonderful, high quality soft toys such as Merrythought has gone out of business.  The youth of today are too busy with all of the high tech gadgets, games and toys to realize the joy that comes from a simple toy like the teddy bear.  Merrythought will be missed and will never be replaced in the hearts and minds of it's many loyal collector's worldwide.

Jeremy

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

That is so sad to hear! bear_ermm

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_sad  That is a truly sad, sad blow for the teddy bear world  bear_cry  I wondered as well if it was the youngsters' change in tastes, as they do seem to only want tech toys, and not really the handson toys of my youth...

Stellajella Wien

Sad I wonder what will happen to all the poor people who worke there...and this just before christmas  bear_angry
I wish them luck! It´s probably not easy to find a new job nowadays....

Gaby bear_flower

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

This is really a shame. So much history and wonderful craftsmanship, down the tubes. I can't say I'm surprised, though: it's very typical of today's marketplace. I wonder if we will ever strike a balance between our desires for high wages and inexpensive products/services?

*Sigh*

Mindy

aerianna aerBears
Sacramento, CA

Wow, what a shame. Modern day business is tough and disappointing.
Aerianna

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

That is a real shame to loose this business.  What a terrible loss for the bear world.  I too feel for those employees who lost their jobs, especially at this time of year.    bear_cry

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh no...this is very sad.  bear_cry
Thanks for letting us know Clare....

Merrythought is very famous in Japan
and I see their product in every big department store. I don't own them yet but I would love to get one Merrythought bear before they
gone out.... 

hugs
Marie

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
NewelleyBears wrote:

The youth of today are too busy with all of the high tech gadgets, games and toys to realize the joy that comes from a simple toy like the teddy bear. 
Jeremy

Jeremy, You are so right. bear_sad

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

...and no more Cheekie Bears. bear_cry  bear_sad

Kingfisher Farm Teddies Kingfisher Farm Teddies and Folk Art
Illinois

I wonder if Ian Pout will buy the likenesses?? He is a loyal stockist..........this is so sad. Pam
www.kingfisherfarm.net

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

This is just horrible  bear_sad 
I used to have a gift shop where I carried Merrythought, it brought great nostalga to many of my customers.
There's a big hole in the teddy bear world today bear_cry

AndreaM

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

How very sad    bear_noexpression

How can they compete with all the cheap plush toys.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGH!
bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry
CATASTROPH!
ARMAGEDON!

what am I gonna become now????

Who will provide me with my annual lot of new Cheeky bears?

Oh my, oh my!

I was planning to go to their factory, SOME DAY, to attend their annual open day for example, and buy a wonderful rocking horse from them... That's not this kind of toy you can get by post or it must cost lots!

I think it is now time to go deep into my last Teddy Bears of Witney catalogue and quickly contact them to know which cheeky bears are still available before they all disappear and before their prices fly (if they do so)!

Okay, time to grab my catalogue!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

A pure shame!  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  I have a couple of old Merrythought bears and my friend has dozens of them. She especially loves the Cheekys and will be very sad at this news.

Hugs Jane.  bear_cry

Board footer