Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Black Forest Bears Haus of Bears, Inc.
Largo,Florida

I NEED to go on a Diet, has anyone some good ones?
Please dont suggest  exercise, that is what got me fat in the first place!!
After each exercise, I got soo hungry and the Fridge was my Place to go for the next 15 Minutes.

I also dont want to cook, opening a can, making a Sandwich, or stuffing the Microwave is all the cooking I do in my House

Rita

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I went to Weight Watchers 6 years ago and successfully lost 120 lb in 2 years. I love WW cause it's not a diet - you eat what you want but watch your points. That way you gradually change your eating habits and learn to eat responsibly. They also have an on-line site that is useful. I'm now a lifetime member so don't have to pay anymore. It was about $10 a week but entirely worth it. It also cost me a fortune in clothing cause every 3 mth or so I had to re-do my wardrobe. If you want more info please feel free to email me directly.

Good Luck,
Marion

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Hi, great topic! bear_original I don't have any diet to recommend except pointing out the importance of drinking lots of water(I know,we discussed this before so someone will rap my fingers) and trying to make healthy choices. Dieting in the true sense of the word is very bad for you.
I can sympathize,excersise also makes me hungry but I really enjoy yoga and there are so many great programs on the T.V.( like Yoga Zone) and I cheat and tape a whole tape so I don't lose interest and wander off on the commercials.

I am definitely no expert and need to get back into some regular good habits but I hope you find something that works,sometimes you have to find out the reasons that you eat and learn to "love yourself".Some people find that simply writing down everything that you put in your mouth(food and drink) makes you aware and cuts down on overeating while helping you make healthy choices.

Hope I helped a little,I would love to hear other peoples ideas though and we will definitely cheer you on in anything you choose.Keep us up to date on how it is going bear_laugh
Hugs,shari.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Also, don't forget important contributors to weight gain such as aging/menopause/hormonal flux, thyroid dysfunction (hypothyroidism), and just plain bad luck with genetics (my dad is from a family of nine siblings, and they are ALL fighting diabetes and obesity; it's just a part of their genetic stock!)  Sometimes a doctor can fix the root cause, especially if your thyroid gland is slowing down.

I hate exercise too and am not good at doing it, but intellectually, I know that by building muscle mass (that means weight training, not aerobic exercise) you basically increase the calorie-burning power of your body's metabolic "engine."  Supposedly it only takes a very few minutes a day to get muscles building and start the process of better tone, more efficient metabolism... and weight loss.  That's part of my resolution for year-end.  Getting rid of the old, dusty bedroom sofa (yes, we have a huge bedroom) and replacing it with a mat; setting up my little free weights (they're 2-10 lbs.); and starting a program!

Years ago, by the way, I did WW too, by attending meetings.  I lost 30 lbs. of college-gained weight  (didn't have a whole lot to lose but it was important that I did) in a flash and as Marion said, it was good lifestyle training.  It's harder to do now with kids at home, when I can't decide JUST FOR ME what everyone will eat.

I've also done Atkins, which sheds weight enormously fast.  It felt somewhat unhealthy for me since we have heart disease in our family; unheathy in my head.  But physically, I swear it, I've never felt better in my life.  I think carbs are the devil.  Doesn't keep me from eating them.  But I feel like bleech when I do, even now. 

Last, I haven't read and adhered to the South Beach Diet, but I hear from many, many, many sources that it's intuitive, balanced, healthy, and just plain easy to lose weight on.  You might want to check out or buy the book and see if it works for you!  There's a focus on whole foods, high fiber, low fat, and low sugar.  Sounds good to me!

Good luck!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Here's my two cents:
I am diabetic times 28 years.  I am now 40 and have never had a weight issue.  I believe that most of it is genetics but even so common sense overrides alomst anything else.

Portion size is one of the worst problems in our country.  They are just plain TOO BIG.  The American Diabetes Asscoiation and the American Heart Association recognizes the diabetic diet as the most complete and balanced way to eat.
This balances protien, fat, and carbs and you NEED all three for a healthy diet.

As much as I hate exercise , I have found a way to get it without feeling like  it is work.  Ballroom dancing.  Lets face it.  Our bodies need exercise for a healthy heart and all around healthy body.  My husband and I Ballroom dance once a week for about 2-3 hours.  We dance very hard and sweat like crazy but it is soooo fun and invigarrating we go home energized and full of energy.
I have showed this picture before, and I am showing it again.....just to show you that I do not "look like a diabetic"...which I have heard since I was 12.
DIS_dance_chair.jpg

ALSO...a HUGE mistake in dieting is snacking.  Very bad for blood sugars unless you eat,  let's say, ONE apple between breakfast and lunch.

Do not starve yourself.  You will throw your metabolism into "starvation mode" which means you will slow the rate at which you burn calories.

Remember that "sugar free" does not mean carb free.  You do need carbs but no more than about 25 to 60 grams of CHO (carbohydrates) per meal.

Also, when you eat sugar and are sedintary, or don't use it right away, your body converts the suger to fat and it goes straight to storage.  So 'fat free' claims are often misleading for weight control.

I see  a dietician regularly as part of my diabetes mangament and I always want to be educated and learn whatever I can about food and better health.  I just don't believe in fad diets...common sense...that is what works best.;)

phew!  okay I hope I have not bored you !!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Judi's right; I took anatomy, physiology, and nutrition at the same time as nursing school prep a few years ago, and have a little of that nursing school training under my belt (left the program, tho, as it just wasn't a good fit for my life.)  And our bodies do need all three food nutriends:  fat, protein, AND carbohydrate.

That's another reason why the Atkins diet, easy and successful as it was, felt "wrong" to me.  The entire premise underlying that program is that to lose weight you need to essentially trick your body into utilizing stored fat INSTEAD OF free-floating carbohydrate, which you would obtain, ordinarily, from food sources.  The body is designed to burn carbs... and then, when carbs are in short supply, to turn to glycogen (carbs stored in muscle) and then fat (stored... everywhere!) for energy instead.

With Atkins, you deprive your body of carb to the point that you burn thru your existing free-floating carbs, then stored carbs (in the form of glycogen), leaving only stored fat for your body to burn.  Sounds easy and exciting, doesn't it?  I admit, it has a certain allure, and it works.

The problem is that your body isn't SUPPOSED to work that way.  Your cells needs carbs (sugar, glucose, whatever word you want to use for it) to function.  When they doesn't get them they turn to the body's emergency back-up-plan, and utilize stored fat instead, in a catabolic process that produces ketones as a toxic by-product, and that really strains the kidneys, because you're passing big protein molecules through them in huge proportions.

YES, in any weight loss program, your body burns thru available-from-food energy sources and turns to fat burning.  That's how you "lose weight!"

However, with a balanced diet (fat, protein, carb all present), you avoid the 100% fat burning, 0% carb utilizing strain and instead end up taking in all three nutrients that your body needs... but just in smaller amounts than it needs them, requiring a little bit of fat burning every single day.  And ultimately resulting in steady, slow weight loss.  Way less shocking to your body that way, too.

Anyway... ultimately, I abandoned Atkins, even though it worked beautifully, because it just felt... "wrong," for all these reasons, and especially for someone with extensive family history of heart disease (dad AND most of his siblings have all had bypasses or endarterectomies of some kind or other.)

Judi's idea that we exercise and focus on portion control is at the foundation of EVERY diet you'll find.  Yes, even Atkins.  You can't eat a 20oz. steak at every meal because even fat and protein turn to fat if you eat enough of them in the absence of carb.

I figure, if at every meal, I just EAT SMARTER, I should be okay.

Okay, enough rambling.  I just wanted to be sure I didn't present Atkins with inadvertent allure.  It works, but it's boring, and not how your body was designed to function.  I don't want to bash it because for some people it's a great way to start, or even arrive, at weight loss; and in the end I'm tolerant of whatever works, because obesity is a problem in and of itself.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Right on Shelli!

Just to add to your ketones.....these are a by product of fat metabolism and can turn a into metabolic acidosis.  This can cause the heart to stop.  Diabetics are at high risk(when blood sugars are very high for prolonged periods) for ketones which are detected in the urine by way of test strips.  Also at risk are people who crash diet.  I don't want to scare anyone...just want to point out to be smart...and like Shari said too, drink LOTS of water.

I love Glucerna, a slow release meal replacement drink designed for diabetics.  Anyone could benefit from these and they taste great...(they should pay me to say that!)  I have one every morning.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I eat five times a day...all small meals, only eat at burger king on a rare occassion, dont eat fries, no soda, i hate soda.  I think it has to do with genetics too... my mom (at 52) is 115 lbs and I am about 110-112 or so.  and before any of you shoot me, I am also kind of short (about 5'2" or 5'3")  But again, I am only 25.  I use to do the Firm workout but I was getting to be too skinny, i wanted to gain muscle and tone up but all i did was lose most of my chest!  got it back though now LOL

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hey Kim-Bee..lucky you!

I have also heard so much about soda.......it is something best avoided but man! I am hooked on diet Pepsi...at least there is no sugar in it.
That is so funny what you mentioned about loosing your chest.....which is mostly made up of adipose tissue (fat)...so when you loose weight...there they go!  Life can be unfair!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I wanted to firm my butt, not lose my chest! LOL  When I was 18 they were bigger than they are now, not fair! LOL  I cant do "diet" things ... I get migraines from artificial sweetners

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Rita, there is an online diet program that my husband and I went on about three years ago.  He lost 30 lbs. and I lost 20 lbs. on it.  You may choose the diet plan that meets your needs the best.  www.ediets.com  is where to go.  Good luck with whatever you try to do!!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Judi and Shelli...wonderful ! Good thread since many of us sit for long hours creating  and have health problems to boot !
I have Fibromyalgia and COPD and I am what I hear from the Dr.( what is a new term?)
as Syndrome x ...sounds like a alien disease.LOL.. As I understand it ..it is where you have several medical pre-cursers to a much more serious diease ? like diabetes...

I have been advised to change my diet/ life style so I did do that...now the ONLY thing that came back on my labs that looked bad was high blood sugar !  Crimminey or crummy sakes...!!!! What now ?...so I decided myself to eat like a diabetic...can't go wrong there. Exercise is very difficult for me because of the Fibro. but...I must find a way, after all I am the boss of my body, am I not? The head rules !!!
I tried the Atkins..it made me feel sick, works wonders for really obese people so as a starter it can be a life saver ... I have always been too skinny...until the change... then it was a gradual climb in weight  as the years went on.
So....thank you both for this feed back on diets that work...in tune with our natural body and safe.... Winney

White City, Oregon

OK Judi...so we need about 25 to 60 grams of carbs per. meal ?
How do you weight that or how much is a gram ?
What is it that determines how many grams a person needs ?...woman / man ideal body weight?

WW is a good program.. I just thought it was too much messing around food which can keep me in the kitchen too long...thinking about food .
I forgot to mention a big factor here is my husband is obese and I have to cook for him and listen to and watch  his crunching on snacks at night in front of the T V.... Agh !!!
                                                                           .......Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

30 grams = 1 oz.  I think I remember that conversion right, anyway... ? :rolleyes:

Basically, stay away from refined sugar (white sugar, processed flour) and stick to whole-grain, high-fiber, whole-food carb sources -- whole wheat bread, etc; stuff that takes a long time to digest and has a low glycemic index (gets absorbed into the blood stream slowwwwllllllyyyy).... that means no Captain Crunch, no white bread, no cookies, no potato chips, etc.  NOT EASY!

Judi, tell us more... getting on thin ice here...

ellen ontario, canada

ditto what shelli just said - stay away from bad carbs.
south beach is GREAT.  get's you retrained to eat right.
the first wo weeks are detoxing.  then you can re-introduce the carbs.....but good carbs.  check it out - it al makes sense once you read about it.  all based on the glycemic index.  we ALL need to eat better.
bear_laugh

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Here's something to throw in the pot also,allergies.yes I'm allergic to anything that grows basically,wheat and dairy are big and they are in almost everything we eat in some form or another.Then I'm allergic to  lots of vegetables,fruit and chicken and fish.Okay,now this covers almost all foods in some aspect and no.as far as I know,I will not die if I eat any of them but I tried restrictive diets and basically had a reaction to almost everything.So beyond not eating there is no sensible choice for me other than taking an allergy pill everytime I put something in my mouth.I have researched food plans and alternatives but this is the only choice that makes sense.My reactions are annoying,not life threatening.My symptoms are dizziness,nausea.stuffy head,heartburn and headache.I cannot function without allergy pills as food makes me feel like I have a very bad flu.

Anyway so as far as diets go,there are none that I can follow,I restrict many foods and could never follow a set diet.I also gained weight on weight watchers when I was on it years ago in high school so Dilu.I can not only not follow directions or restrictions but it's harmful to me to do so. bear_grin Tell me what i can and cannot eat ,Ha!

My Mom also feels that dieting and specifically following a set diet plan where you ate only that companies meals as contributing to the development of her breast cancer.No,I will not name the plan.Dieting and continuously dieting are harmful.People need to adopt a healthy lifestyle as Judi and Shelli have said  because they have made some very valid points.It should come down to choices,not restrictive diets.
Okay I know,blah,blah blah...I'l stop now.
Shari.

ellen ontario, canada

southbeach simply retrains you to eat properly.  it's not a diet per se.  we've all been taught/trained to eat toast with our breakfast, bread for lunch and then bread or rolls of some sort with dinner.  it's just not necessary to eat all those bad carbs. (not all but most people eat white breads).
just give it a read - it's just smart eating.  obesity is out of control in north america - we have to do something - if not for oursleves then for the children following behind us. 
bear_ermm

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I dont think that the atkins or whatever diet it is seems healthy... no fiber?  well you may lose weight but you will have to go out and buy some milk of magnesia!  I dont see how it is healthy to eat all those fatening meats like bacon... my dad and his girlfriend were on atkins and at lots of bacon and eggs and stuff YUCK!  I always thought that grains and veggies were good?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi everyone..I just wanted to say that while reading all this I ate a Crunchie....which for anyone not in the UK is a nice big honeycomb bar covered in chocolate......I have just got in from 13 hours at work though...that's my excuse....!!

Jenny

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

LOL funny you should mention that... I just had a Reeses Peanutbutter cup! MMMMMMMMM!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I've struggled with weight issues my entire life it seems.  Until the birth of my third child I was always on the thin side...I'd here..."don't you ever eat..."  Yeah I did...anything and everything I wanted.  Then along came my third and that all changed...he's 14 so I probably should stop blaming it all on him huh. bear_original  I also tried the Adkins diet several years ago and it made me very ill.  My electrolytes were all out of whack and my doctor told me to get off it immediately.  I also multiple sclerosis in addition to my vision problems so it is very hard to adhere to a regular exercise routine no matter how simple it may be because, for me at least, extreme fatigue hits without warning many times.  Also, exercise can trigger episodes of severe muscle spasms.  I try very hard to walk on a treadmill every day...sometimes twice a day depending on how I'm feeling.   I also try to do some type of yoga activity in order to keep my muscles stretched and toned...plus just the benefits of relaxation.  This doesn't mean I don't try and stay active and just sit around.  Everything that Judi and Shelli both posted is very true.  I don't think you should look at eating as a "diet"...it has to be a lifestyle change because once you stop your "diet" then you just head back to where to you started...whether it be gradual or rapid.

So now I'm off to find a huge bowl of icecream... NOT!!!  Icecream is my weakness...I just love the stuff...YUMMMMMMM!!

ellen ontario, canada
kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I love anything dairy, especially coffee icecream!

White City, Oregon

30 grams = 1 oz...thank you Shelli ...

Shari...You may be allergic to what they put in our animals...steroids and antibiotics...I am in the process of switching to ORGANIC eggs, meats ,chicken, etc...I eat fresh fish every otherday and  I only eat beef about once a week...I heard to stay away from it with Fibro..and I take Co Q 10 , its an enzyme , great for people who have auto immune diseases...won't hurt you if you don't need it...

I take other nutrients as well to help build my immune system up  but I believe the food you eat is CRITICAL to good health...
Believe me...when I say I am sooooo much better this year than last year...it is all due to diet and nutritional/ supplemental changes...Lat year I had such terrible muscle cramps and burning  in my legs and hips ...when I tried to take a slow walk down the street..I literal had to stop every 10 steps before I could continue on...bet people looked out their window and said " Henry ...what on earth do you think is wrong with that lady "? he, he...Winney

It helps to believe you CAN do something and be hard  headed enough to NOt give up...just keep trying and be determined, read stuff on your condition . I have developed a mind set that  your body is your gift and your  responsibility...the Dr. is only there to assist you and I must say " don't take for granted everything a Dr. tells you " I found that they often do not know much about nutrition or supplements ...they ARE into prescribing RX'S and taking the next patient within 15 min..." NEXT  COW  PLEASE " !!! ...Winney

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

hey,who you calling a cow,put up your duks Winney bear_grin LMAF,just teasing

Hugs,shari.

Board footer